M10 and Super Angulon 3,4/21

Leicaquarters

... it asks to select two images ...

One to take the corrections from, one to apply the corrections to.

The former is supposed to be a defocused image of an evenly lit white wall or a shot taken through a white translucent screen, the kind sometimes used for custom white balance.

By the way, the Leica M10's sensor is significantly less sensitive to short exit pupil distances than the M9's and M (Typ 240)'s used to be. So for not so critical subjects you might get away with no corrections at all.

• Like 2

In my recent experience / tests, the  M10 does not fare well with the 21 SA 3.4 as the vertical edges of the resulting photos  are not sharp . Same with another lens with protruding rear element, the 28 Elmarit v1 ,

see http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/268173-the-view-through-older-glass-merged/?p=3233667 for a 28 v1 picture.

Well, the Super-Angulon "naturally" shows a considerable loss of sharpness from the center to the edges, I am sceptical if any camera sensor could change this.  

Your example from the first version of the 28mm Elmarit does not look bad at all.  

• Like 1

Thank you... I downloaded it from Adobe Labs... When I try to apply it it asks to select two images, which I don't understand why... Do you know how it works?

Alex

I used it for the SEM 21mm, which I found has green edges with an IR cut filter.

As others have said, take a correctly exposed shot of a blank white surface, defocused. I found it difficult to get an evenly lit image, but in the end shot through a translucent plastic filter (technically, cut from a milk container) at a bright sky.

Select your image or images in need of correction, then the flat field plugin under the File menu, and choose Apply External Correction. You will then be asked to select your correction file. Very straightforward.

You can also take a correction image every time you take a shot, in which case you choose Apply Interleaved Correction - I've never done this.

You may want a separate correction image for each aperture, but I found little visible difference to my eye.

I just bought the Super Angulon-R. I assume it will not have the same issues as the M-version as the distance from the rear element to the sensor is larger?

Yes, I know it is a different lens and yes I have the adaptor.

Well, the Super-Angulon "naturally" shows a considerable loss of sharpness from the center to the edges, I am sceptical if any camera sensor could change this.  

Your example from the first version of the 28mm Elmarit does not look bad at all.  

It is not so obvious with the 28 V1 , yet with  a 21 SA 3.4 on the M10,  the issue is closer to the Sony bodies smearing issue with wide angle leica lenses. I had no such problem with the M240 and M9 bodies. 

See attached picture:

21 SA 3.4 1964 on M10

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thank You for showing an example! It does not look too good. Did you apply any lens correction for another 21mm - perhaps the 21mm Elmarit (11134)?

I had it selected in the M lens menu as a Wate 21mm . 

I think the unsharp corners (like smearing) cannot be corrected via profiles.

The colorshift maybe well ..

Exact.

The 21 Elmarit pre asph is very good on the M10 and the SL, no italian flag syndrome at all . The fall off is corrected as well - via profiles I guess . (Have not tried with the profiles turned off).

By the way, the Leica M10's sensor is significantly less sensitive to short exit pupil distances than the M9's and M (Typ 240)'s used to be. So for not so critical subjects you might get away with no corrections at all.

Well, would you care to share your tests?

Edited by JMF