Best medium telephoto portrait lens on SL? 80 1.4 R, 75 1.4, other?

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This isn't very scientific, and the biggest differences may come from the lighting in each case.  Mine were indoors, with good big window light on the left in the second one.  David's seem to have been outdoors, although he got a good softbox in the sky effect in his first shot, probably from an overcast sky.  There are lots of other examples if you dig back in the forum posts here.

scott

• Like 1

I have heard nice things about the CV 75 1.8 as well, but the bokeh looked a bit "busy". Is that your experience? It certainly is bargain priced, particularly on the pre-owned market.

Thanks,

Rob

I wouldn't call it busy. Here's a shot on the M at f2. (ignore the exif, I'm sure it was f2.0).

16213244189_4e7956a4ae_h.jpgI&B-170.jpg by Gordon Cahill, on Flickr

Gordon

• Like 3

I wouldn't call it busy. Here's a shot on the M at f2. (ignore the exif, I'm sure it was f2.0).

I&B-170.jpg by Gordon Cahill, on Flickr

Gordon

Not busy at all in your shot. Perhaps even a tad softer than the newer 75 and 90 from Leica.

Thanks, Gordon.

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

Sorry, I meant are you on the waiting list for the SL 90 lens. 

Murray

No, Murray. I have not made a decision on that one just yet; too much scarcity at the moment, so I'll let production cycles run and wait till more are around and then decide.

In the interim, I'm okay with the 24-90, noctilux, and Zeiss 50mm planar.

Rob

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

But the best is the SL 90-280, because of OIS and high AF speed and precision. It always gives a lot of keepers. Even in carneval or in other "difficult circumstances".

If you rely on results it is clearly the best. If you take pics for fun, it does not matter which one. The R 135 is also nice, or the Nikon DC 135. Even a R 180 (there are many to choose from). Or the R 80-200 or 70-180.

I cant comment on the 90/280 Sumerlux but what I can say is that for portraits when the person you are photographing is normally sat still I find it easy peasy to use any of my M lenses especially the 90 APO f2 and my Noctilux 0.95

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I cant comment on the 90/280 Sumerlux but what I can say is that for portraits when the person you are photographing is normally sat still I find it easy peasy to use any of my M lenses especially the 90 APO f2 and my Noctilux 0.95

Are you sure? That looks blurred to me.

I have both the 24-90 SL and the 75M AA. Agree that this combination is very flexible. Having said that I use the 24-90 almost exclusively because how good and versatile it is. I'm not using my many M lenses on the SL as much as I had expected to.

Really loved the 80/1.4 for film but less sure about for digital.

• Like 3

Gordon

LOL :) a bit difficult to see busy bo-keh in this shot with any lens, isn't it?

One of the things that make the SL so great is that the difficult to focus, shallow depth of field lenses, work better on the SL than they did on the M. I have a F1 Noctilux, and a 75 Summilux which I love using on the SL. In fact I just returned from two weeks in Mexico and I took only the 75 Lux and the 35 Lux. leaving my 24-90 and 90-280 at home. Other times I go away with just the F1 and am always delighted with the results.

On this trip 95 % os the shots were with the 75 Lux, and most at 1.4 or maybe f2. It is so easy to mail the focus with the SL. 

To me these lenses felt too large on the M but feel perfect on the SL. It's as if the camera was designed for these lenses in terms of feel and results. One advantage of using the 75 Lux over the R version is that it is much simpler to magnify the image using the joystick. With the R lenses you have to use the bottom left button which is definitely more awkward an slows down the procedure.

I love the 24-90 and the 90-280 and depending on the need they are superb. Yet when you put on the F1 or the 75 Lux, the whole feel of the camera changes. It becomes like an older M but on steroids. The same is true with the 24 Lux which I just used on a walk a few minutes ago. Even it always felt big on the M, and the camera felt unbalanced as a result. Now it feels right and all of this results in more enjoyment of use in my opinion.

What a combination. It is as if you have one camera for the M lenses, and a different one for the zooms.

• Like 2

One advantage of using the 75 Lux over the R version is that it is much simpler to magnify the image using the joystick. With the R lenses you have to use the bottom left button which is definitely more awkward an slows down the procedure.

Douglas,

My experience is that all M and R lenses work exactly the same with the joystick. Whatever the adapter.

• Like 2

Yes. You are absolutely right. I stand corrected. I now remember when I went to see the SL for the first time I took along the APO 180 R 2.8 and was amazed how easily I could magnify the image with the joystick This helped convince me to buy the camera. 

Obviously I use the M lenses more than the R on the SL, but both work perfectly well.

• Like 1

The noctilux really can be quite special.

With my son and grandchildren at the beach.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1