So, it's finally happened....

But would not be repairable after  six meters off a cliff ;)

Actually there are shock proof jackets available. My iPhone with simple jacket has fallen from 3 feet high to hard concrete pavement many times with no damage. Yes, if it is tumbling on rocks with sharp corners then anything can happen and if it does break then for 1800 EUR you can get a new one and more. :)

Edited by jmahto

I don't know if this voids the warrant, but if it doesn't (and if I were you :p) I'd try to attempt a quick fix of the rangefinder myself, using the usual method of checking infinity alignment and then check alignment at minimal focus distance, and adjust accordingly and repeat the checks until I'm satisfied that I can manage reasonably well to obtain focus (or know how much to compensate for).

Just a thought~

Not a bad idea! I've searched but can't seem to find the post about how to do this. Anyone have it?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel Beacock

Scratch that. Found it. Sadly it only covers horizontal calibration, whereas mine needs both horizontal and vertical correction. My guess is vertical means it definitely needs more expert hands on it than mine! Back to the mothership...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel Beacock

I've never dropped a Leica but I did manage to crush a 3 week old D800. It was fitted with a 600mm f4 lens on the back seat of the car in the Kruger. We saw a lion, I braked and the camera & lens didn't stop. The combination landed camera first and the weight of the lens crushed it. The lens was okay and I had a backup D700 so all wasn't lost.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Crushing moments in photography

A Hasselblad Super Wide C from 5' on to a cement factory floor.......froze like a giant paper weight.

Lost a an RB67 with a eye level finder from 4 foot on the the studio floor. It exploded, glass and metal went everywhere.

Notice these are cameras from the 1970's?
I am so careful to be sure of hand and not in a hurry.  I haven't lost a camera in decades

Ooooh I probably shouldn't have said that  :mellow:

..........Camera straps hanging over the edge of tables drive me crazy....that's an accident waiting to happen

• Like 1

Crushing moments in photography

A Hasselblad Super Wide C from 5' on to a cement factory floor.......froze like a giant paper weight.

Lost a an RB67 with a eye level finder from 4 foot on the the studio floor. It exploded, glass and metal went everywhere.

Notice these are cameras from the 1970's?

I am so careful to be sure of hand and not in a hurry.  I haven't lost a camera in decades

Ooooh I probably shouldn't have said that  :mellow:

..........Camera straps hanging over the edge of tables drive me crazy....that's an accident waiting to happen

Don't touch my stuff.

• Like 1

Hello Everybody.

I have a somewhat different story.

Back when the M3 was a current production camera I was sitting at the top of a cliff having lunch. I took said M3 with collapsible 90mm, F4, Elmar & MC meter out of my knapsack to get the lunch that they were sitting on. They were wrapped in a shirt for protection. While I was having lunch the camera, lens & meter, along with the shirt that they were wrapped in, fell about 25 meters down the side of the cliff.

I climbed down to get the shirt since it was clear that the camera, lens & meter could not have survived all of the bumps on all of the rocks that they bounced on all of the way down.

I got to the bottom & unrolled the the shirt. Everything looked fine. There was no damage to anything beyond 1 small dent on the camera body. Everything worked fine.

When you go thru a "doorway": Sometimes life is just a roll of the "Cosmic Dice"*.

Best Regards,

Michael

* Said by a Cheerleader from Villanova.

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

I've never dropped a Leica but I did manage to crush a 3 week old D800. It was fitted with a 600mm f4 lens on the back seat of the car in the Kruger. We saw a lion, I braked and the camera & lens didn't stop. The combination landed camera first and the weight of the lens crushed it. The lens was okay and I had a backup D700 so all wasn't lost.

A Lion? Hardly worth the camera :( . They are mostly asleep in the daytime anyway...

I fear reading this thread can lead to bad luck!

I would agree with sblutter this is a dangerous thread

I haven't had any disasters in decades...I like to think its my mindfulness...

but it probably just dumb luck

I took my M9 on its first walk some years back. Was holding it with the same hand as the leashes of my two hunting dogs, while locking the gate with my other hand. As dogs always do when keen to start their walk, they pulled on the leashes and sent the brand new M9, with zero shutter actuations, down 3 feet to an asphalt road. There was a small dent in the bottom plate but the camera worked fine and focused all lenses with no problems. I swapped the bottom plate for the one with the grip the next day which allowed me to forget about the incident and my dogs got fed again.

After 3 years of careful ownership I have finally managed to drop my M240, and not once, but twice, in the space of about 2 minutes!!

At least it took you 3 years... barely two weeks after buying it my M-D went flying into the floor but survived (lesson is I should never drink too many beers and then try to take pictures) - so glad Leica M cameras are built like tanks!

Edited by Cami
  • Like 1

At least it took you 3 years... barely two weeks after buying it my M-D went flying into the floor but survived (lesson is I should never drink too many beers and then try to take pictures) - so glad Leica M cameras are built like tanks!

LOL  +1

• Like 1

I moved to Leica M mainly because I like to take pictures when I have had few drinks... There... I confess. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm... looks like it may not just be rangefinder alignment after all. It has started behaving strangely by just switching itself off occasionally whilst shooting. Plus one of my two batteries gets stuck in the body when I try to eject it.

I have a horrible feeling the switching off is going to be an intermittent fault that will be hard to replicate and track down.... Would something like that show up in diagnostic tests?

Hmmm... looks like it may not just be rangefinder alignment after all. It has started behaving strangely by just switching itself off occasionally whilst shooting. Plus one of my two batteries gets stuck in the body when I try to eject it.....

You could have two entirely unrelated failures at the same time. It's quite possible that one of the two batteries has grown in girth. If that is the case, you should not use it anymore as it is past its useful days. Try and see if the camera shuts itself down with the thicker battery only or with both of them.

• Like 1