Official News : Leica's new M8 charger

Guest guy_mancuso

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's just say that the M8 charger wouldn't pass the Steve Job's aesthetic/functionality test for a complete camera system!

If you want to carry the charger in a large bag with other equipment it's really not a problem. If you want to travel light with a single small day bag with just an M8 and a couple of lenses then it's a TOTALLY different scenario. The charger takes as much space as the camera and a lens and so the whole ensemble either requires a bag twice the size or you have to put the charger in with your other luggage where, if you're anything like me, it runs the risk of being forgotten next time out. I ended up with multiple batteries, a charger at home also as a spare just in case.

I have a number of (larger) camera systems and none of them require a charger of the relative size of the Leica one. My backup R-D1 has a tiny charger by comparison yet the battery isn't much different in size.

Anyhoo - I'm looking forward to the new charger. ;)

Hmmm, it fits in my over the shoulder small bag with my M8 with lens and 2 more lenses and flash. No problem at all. If I drop the flash, then a 3rd extra lens.

Gene

A comprehensive thread on this topic is already running:

Take a look at: "Any sign of the Hahnel twin charger yet"? started by Bill Laidlaw.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/42667-any-sign-hahnel-twin-charger-yet.html

Steve,

Bill Laidlaw must be my cousin -

Wilson

Guest guy_mancuso
So guy, did you post the pic with the testing of the batteries? What's the background on that? Man, I definitely cringe when I throw that brick in a bag to travel. It's like 1980s technology just came back into style.

The orginal pic came from a executive at leica on what the final product looks like. It was ready to go to market but Leica decided not to run with it in the end. Not sure of there reasons but my guess is quality control of the unit itself or something on the business end.