• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bill,

I too have one on order. I don't understand why it is taking so long, as Hahnel have this charger available for other cameras. I would have thought it was just a question of bolting on the battery holders, calibrating it for the voltage and capacity of M8 batteries and sticking the Leica Logo on - or am I being too simplistic?

Wilson

I suspect it has to do with the size of the preorder and maybe Leica has too much on its plate.

Guy, any news?......

But Bill, it is not Leica making it - it is Hahnel - they are a huge company.

Wilson

Guest guy_mancuso

I'm on a little break in between shoots here in Florida , Sending e-mail now . leica NJ had e-mail issues for a couple days but here back up now. hopefully I can get some confirmation on shipping.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

But Bill, it is not Leica making it - it is Hahnel - they are a huge company.

Wilson

Wilson, I thot it was going to be offered by Leica directly. That means we wouldn't be able to buy from Hahnel and so on .....

Guy, thanks for poking them.

Wilson, I thot it was going to be offered by Leica directly. That means we wouldn't be able to buy from Hahnel and so on .....

Guy, thanks for poking them.

Bill,

I believe that what you say is right and it will be marketed exclusively by Leica but that should not hold things up (unless they are waiting for the boxes ;-}} ). For the makers Hahnel it should be very straightforward to get making these and deliver them to Leica. I would guess they would not even have to pass their CE and FCC tests again, if this is already a production model for other camera brands.

Wilson

Wilson, I am in complete agreement with what you are saying -- it should be easy.

However, if they are only going to be sourced from Leica, then I guess we're going to wait till leica gets its act together. If I were Hahnel and Leica were going to sell all the output of this particular model, I'd be contracting to sell "x" of them directly to Leica.

I'm ready to buy one and certainly want to know what's happening. I want a second charger (being a charter member of the Always Have Two Club) and really don't care who sells it to me. Definitely on your side.

The Hahnel Twin V pro charger for cameras other than the M8 (Nikon, Digilux 3 etc) is selling with a Hahnel logo on it in the UK at the moment for £48. It will be interesting to see what the price of putting that red dot on it is - rather too much I fear.

Wilson

• 1 month later...
Guest guy_mancuso

I have heard nothing from Leica lately on this at all. i am sending a note for other reasons but will inquire once again. I was told about this in July. I really could use one

My gut reaction is disappointment. We all have the big clunky one for use at home / studio / office. What we need is one to go travelling. Thus, if we're going to invest in a second charger, we need a SMALL one! This new one looks BIG and heavy to me.

I'd happily trade the capacity to charge two batteries at once for a tiny, single battery charger that slips in my pocket. If it can be done for the DLux3 (and loads of other cameras), why not the the M8?

Is this the result of Leica's evaluation of customer demand? Did we all request the capacity to charge two batteries at once above all else? To me the comments in this forum leaned more towards small, sleek and of better quality construction more in keeping with the Leica image.

I know, I should wait and see and yes, I am being a grumpy old man. harrumph.

My gut reaction is disappointment. We all have the big clunky one for use at home / studio / office. What we need is one to go travelling. Thus, if we're going to invest in a second charger, we need a SMALL one!

Sorry for bringing this up again...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/17072-m8-travel-battery-charger.html#post178945