Official News : Leica's new M8 charger

Guest guy_mancuso

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As i mentioned in the Germany tour thread, leica is announceing a new twin charger for the M8. Christian Erhardt is traveling with us on this tour and mentioned this to me and i asked if i can publish this and post the images of it. So straight from Leica

Hi Guy,

Here is the info...

We are pleased to introduce the Hahnel Twin Charger for the LEICA M8. This compact charger is a great travel companion and can be used in a vehicle. The Hahnel Twin Charger has many features including a fast charging capacity and a LCD display that indicates the charging process as well as other functions such as "battery full", "battery defect" and "over heating switch off".

Some of the features of the Hahnel Twin Charger are:

** Modern style housing with slide-out charger cover, turning into a stand-up charger support

** Fast charger for 1 or 2 Lithium Ion Batteries

** Two charge control systems - one for each battery

** Battery overheating protection

** 2 LCD displays - one for each battery

** Charging time varies from less than 1 hour for 1 battery to approximately 2 hours for 2 batteries. This depends on the battery capacity.

** Multi-voltage switch mode power-supply 100 - 240 V for worldwide use.

** 12 V DC input with car lead included

This is exactly the info i got from Christian at the time in Germany , i am checking now on this. Thanks Guy

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest tummydoc

I don't understand the elation over a new 2-battery charger. What would be nice would be a charger more proportionate to the size of the battery (read=50% smaller than current) with a folding plugset, in the manner of those supplied with numerous other digital cameras. The replaceable plugsets are an horrific kludge, as slipover adaptors are a much more elegant and trouble-free alternative. Two compact travel chargers equalling the dimensions of the current one would be just as effective a solution for those needing it, as a 2-battery charger the size of the current brick. More people who own M8s are travelling amateurs rather than heavy-use pros.

Guest guy_mancuso

Here is what i got for you. Thanks Guy

Haehnel the manufacturer of batteries and chargers is in the final stages of distributing the “Haehnel Twin Charger for the Leica M8” through Leica.

Final production should start within the next few weeks.

Guest guy_mancuso

Here it is and being tested right now as we speak.

There is a fold over cover, that makes it stand up when in use . This will be a welcome charger for me it looks like . Finally i can get some sleep instead of waking up to change batteries in the night to charge. This looks a lot slimmer to pack also in baggage for travel

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Got it straight from Leica USA and there lead marketing head. Checking again on status. This is weird i have to say because it came straight from the top

I do beleive your source are generally correct as it has proved so far. The manufacturer may have a no information disclosure contract so they just deny everything. :-)

Eric

Guest guy_mancuso

Eric my info comes directly from leica. if you notice it comes from Leica and not Hahnel which is making it FOR leica so any info they have is properitory information that has to deal with a client and will not comment on it. The images posted are from leica and it's in there hands as we speak. Also any info that i get from Leica on anything is from management and there top executives, so the info is always correct or i would not post something like this. I don't need mud on my face either, i confirm everything.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hähnel Industries introduce Twin V Pro, charger for Li-ion Digital SLR batteries

August 02, 2007 -

By: Erik Vlietinck

Hähnel industries, one of the leading battery and charger manufacturers in Europe, has now expanded their range of Chargers.

The Twin V Pro for digital SLR Li-Ion batteries was introduced as a prototype at Photokina 2006, and will be launched onto the market within the coming weeks. The charger has interchangeable contact plates for all batteries of the camera models mentioned below. 1 or 2 batteries can be charged at any one time.

The Twin V Pro comes in 4 different versions and is suitable for batteries from the following cameras:

Version C – for Canon Digital SLR Camera models:- EOS 400D / 350D / 30D / 20D / 5D

Version N – for Nikon Digital SLR Camera models:- D70S / D80 / D200 / D40 / D50 / D70 / D100

Version SPL – for Sony / Panasonic /Leica Digital SLR Camera models:- Alpha DSLR-A100 / 100K / DMC-L1 / Digilux 3

Version OSP – for Olympus / Samsung / Pentax Digital SLR Camera models:- E-400 / E-300 / E-330 / E-500 / E-1 / GX10 / KD10D

The version for the above cameras is available in uk for about £60. complete.

Brian

Thanks Guy for inquiry and info. We 'll be patient:cool:

Of course, as several members expressed, I would prefer a smaller charger for one battery, but the proposed will be fine: I will buy some more batteries:rolleyes:

Have good pictures.

Guest guy_mancuso

Yes it looks like some folks wanted a smaller single battery charger. Totally understand getting away from the brick for sure. This one does help the heavy users alot to get two batteries charged very fast. i do a lot of events and for wedding guys this will certainly help them also. I think this will pack pretty good though since it is thinner you can just lay it in between cloths in your bag. Not real fond of the brick one today. Big charger for small battery does not make sense.

I'm trying to get one to test out

Eric my info comes directly from leica. if you notice it comes from Leica and not Hahnel which is making it FOR leica so any info they have is properitory information that has to deal with a client and will not comment on it. The images posted are from leica and it's in there hands as we speak. Also any info that i get from Leica on anything is from management and there top executives, so the info is always correct or i would not post something like this. I don't need mud on my face either, i confirm everything.

Sorry if I misexplained myself. I understood you exactly as you said. I have no doubt about your info and I do beleive YOU have the right end of the story, and this is good news to hear that the charger is actually being designed/made. Thanks for keeping us informed as always.

Hopefully we will see Leica offer 2 chargers, the twin one and a smaller single battery one at a later date, that would be perfect for all of us :-)

Eric

Guy,

thanks for the inquiry!

Do I understand correctly- the charger won´t be sold through Hahnel´s normal channels, but only via Leica? That would explain why a) Hahnel deny everything and B) the German importer hasn´t heard of it yet.

Yes, I would prefer a smaller unit for ONE battery, too. When the M8-Hahnel is available, I will surely get it, anyway. Also surely, I will open it to see if there is a chance to split it: one unit for small luggage, with the option to connect the second unit with a cable to have the double charger.

Regards,

Stefan

Guest guy_mancuso

Not sure i understand the import from leica either but seems like leica wants to sell it through it's dealer system , which i do understand that part. They want to help there dealers than any other store but this is a area i am not sure how it all works but your point is a great question mark.

i was waitng for someone to figure out to break this in two. Were all nuts i think. LOL

The only real problem will come when Leica-negative salespeople see that customers of Canon, Nikon et al can buy the same thing for half the price of the M8 unit. Unfortunately, it's just one more argument for "Leica--they're just overpriced."

I'll be glad to buy the M8 version--but it would be nice if the technically well-feased among us could compare the Nikon and Leica versions when they reach the market and see how easy it would be to put a Nikon fitting into the M8 version. It seems ridiculous to have to carry two of these chargers when Hähnel's original purpose was to make a single unit that could be used for many different cameras.

--HC

but seems like leica wants to sell it through it's dealer system

Fine by me - if it is the "same" basic unit as the one that the OEM make for Canon, Nikon etc, then it may work well for me, as I have Canon digital SLRs...assuming of course I can get hold of the gubbins needed to adapt the charger for these batteries...

Lars--

Festina lente;

or

Nicht alles will der Höchste zumal;

or

Same old same old.

But for Leica, this one's a quickie, ready to buy ready-made. They may yet get around to offering a compact charger.

At the moment, I'm hoping someone will research the changes needed to convert the Leica unit into one that will also work with Nikon (or Canon or what have you).

It's fine to make the Leica version available only from Leica dealers; and it would be fine to make the Leica battery plate quite expensive for others to purchase it to fit their own Hähnel charger, or perhaps not available separately at all.

But it would be a pity to mount the M8 plate differently from the Nikon/Canon/Pentax plates so that we who use two cameras would have to buy two virtually identically chargers.

--HC

It's easy to assume that all batteries are equal but does anyone know whether there's a technical reason for the new M8 charger to be restricted to M8 batteries? For example if the battery terminal voltage or maximum charging rates of, say, M8 and 5D batteries were significantly different then Hahnel may be protecting the user, the batteries and the charger by preventing the use of different adaptor plates to charge different batteries on a common charger. The circuitry inside the charger could be quite different despite using the same body shell. (I don't have access to Canon batteries so I can't tell. Anybody?)

Pete.

Pete--

You're quite right that there might be a difference among batteries used. Maybe Canon and Nikon and Pentax and Sony etc batteries are completely different in one aspect or another from M8 rechargeables. And in fact, Hähnel didn't offer a kit to swap out the insertion holder to make it possible to charge the M8's batteries, though that might have to do with electrical differences, with expected sales volume, or with manufacturers' rights.

In fact, I may have read on the forum that the Leica battery uses a smaller number of cells internally than do most dSLR cells.

Thanks for reminding me that till we see the charger and let our engineer types roam over it, its electrical similarity to the standard version is mere assumption. I was getting ahead of myself. :(

--HC

If it is as cheap as $125 equivalent in Europe even pre-tax, I will be very pleasantly surprised. Given that right at this moment, I am waiting for battery #2 to finish charging so I can get battery #3 on before I go out, I will be in the Q to get one. In fact I will probably put one on order at my local UK dealer on Monday. Good thinking Leica.

Wilson