Official News : Leica's new M8 charger

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have to agree except in one respect. It seems to have a cord that plugs into a wall outlet instead of the whole charger hanging from a outlet. That is a big step in the right direction..

I would like to know what the Hahnel charger cost for other brand batteries. It seems to be sold under there own name in the EU. So could someone in EU check what one costs for a Nikon or Canon battery.

It is £47.92 UKP for the Canon version in Poland.

Eric

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Will this be available from Hahnel as well as Leica? It would be great if it had interchangeable plates! I always travel with so many chargers.

I notice that they make a nodel for my Canon 20D. Interchangeable plates would be nice so I would only have to take one charge;

As to size, it is only slightly wider than two batteries. How could it be that much smaller and still charge two batteries?

Rex

Scaling off the image, it looks to be 125mm * 92mm * 35mm (5 * 3.75 * 1.4"). Volume is 402ml.

The original charger is 115mm * 59mm * 46mm which is 312ml.

So, in volumetric terms, this new charger is about 30% bigger, though the shape may be easier to manage.

This, apparently, is progress...

Panasonic? Did you ever see the Digilux2 charger? I even had to buy a bigger car to be able to transport it...:(;):p

I used to have a dual charger for Pansonic video camera batteries that was smaller than the exisiting M8 charger. It had a plug that flipped out and the batteries mounted on either side of a center column. Dual chargers can be made much smaller than what's been presented here.

Two batteries is nice, but I would guess the vast majority of us would much prefer a small (not just smaller) travel charger. There is just no excuse for the massive size of the current one in light of what other manufacutrers are doing (for much more inexpensive cameras).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

of course for use in the field you can get the Leica/MAN field generator kit

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Scaling off the image, it looks to be 125mm * 92mm * 35mm (5 * 3.75 * 1.4"). Volume is 402ml.

The original charger is 115mm * 59mm * 46mm which is 312ml.

So, in volumetric terms, this new charger is about 30% bigger, though the shape may be easier to manage.

This, apparently, is progress...

Mark

Not to be argumentative, but just how much smaller could it get?

In a plan view it has to be at least as wide as two batteries side by side + something X the hight of a battery + something X some acceptable thickness. Yes, this charger could be slimmed down some but it aint huge.

Rex

Two batteries is nice, but I would guess the vast majority of us would much prefer a small (not just smaller) travel charger. There is just no excuse for the massive size of the current one in light of what other manufacutrers are doing (for much more inexpensive cameras).

Speak for yourself, actually. The dual charger, less-deep, paperback sized thing is exactly right in my books.

Oh--what's wrong with the current one? It's too slow to charge one single battery.

Is no-one impressed at how much faster this new one will be :) ? I actually couldn't care less what it looks like, and Canon's 5d charger is ok, not great for two batteries either. Their PRO chargers, btw, are much bigger than Leica's.

@Mark, the godfather of Leica surgery:

Couldn´t one split the twin charger in half and make two REAL travel chargers from the parts? They say it had two seperate circuits, one for each battery. So what you would need extra was a second wall cord (or car connector).

Just my two (€) cents...

Stefan

Rex, argumentative? Surely not! Never! LOL.

Benchmark for me is the Nikon MH-18 charger (9.8cm * 5.8cm * 2.9cm) which has more than enough plan area to allow two M8 batteries on the top; It's a 6 year old design, so would probably be smaller/higher capacity now. Volume? 165ml, about half the size of the existing Leica charger and 40% of the new one.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Mark, as far as I see from the Hähnel pdf, the power supply (if you mean that thing that converts 110 or 220 volts) is in the wall cord...but you may be right: in my Hähnel Digilux charger, the adaptor/converter let out 12V...so the charger could also use the car cord.

But anyway, couldn´t you make a neat travel charger by splitting the twin thing and just using one of the "charger units"?

Stefan

The existing charger works for me, finally a charger without another bloody cord to lose!

Yep it's big enough not to forget ,but it works and does the job.

Don't really understand the fuss, but if charging speed is an issue for some then I can appreciate the advantage of the new one.

Other than that I only have two batteries so only need one to be charged at once, no problem.

andy

Guest guy_mancuso

The new charger just has a cord coming from it only . No block or anything like that. Seems like some won't like this but collectively it is smaller than the orginal and you can charge two batteries, to me 2 batteries quickly charged is the answer . Again it will be only sold through Leica and it's dealers.

... in volumetric terms, this new charger is about 30% bigger, though the shape may be easier to manage.

30% bigger, but 100% more batteries, and 50% the charging time. Cuts both ways.

It is funny, though, that so many of us have such dislike for the original charger that we are ready to sign up for anything new. :rolleyes:

Good move by Leica, making it available as an accessory that we have to go out and pay for!

--HC

Rex, argumentative? Surely not! Never! LOL.

Benchmark for me is the Nikon MH-18 charger (9.8cm * 5.8cm * 2.9cm) which has more than enough plan area to allow two M8 batteries on the top; It's a 6 year old design, so would probably be smaller/higher capacity now. Volume? 165ml, about half the size of the existing Leica charger and 40% of the new one.

[ATTACH]42484[/ATTACH]

All right Marko, now the gloves come off!!

Even two M8 batteries touching require about 75 mm of space. Now if you would grant me a few measly millimeters on a side for molding a little plastic, we end up with an overall width of about 80mm.

Now the height of the new Leica charge is all ready, by your own figures, already 5mm shorter than that grotesquely overweight Nikon charger.

As for thickness, I said it needs to shrink down to 25mm which would make it 4mm thinner than that Nikon blimp.

And you call me argumentative :mad:

Rex :p

Intelligent announcement... Leica maybe is becoming a marketing-wise company :

- It is a useful device for M8 customers, solves problems

- It is fine and graceful

- It does not impact Leica factory workload

- It carries with itself additional sales of high add-on value devices (batteries)

- It probably does not put at risk brand image (difficult it "doesn't work right")

- It brings a very high commercial margin (factory price can be in the range of 50$ or even less)

I would not be surprised if at the moment they are also dealing with some chinese or rumanian contractor for a line of bags/cases... both are strong on leather... italian shoemakers (and Luigi Crescenzi of Rome, I suppose) know this well...

OMG, I read so many silly posts on the internet, it is a real pleasure to read a comment from someone that actually understands how businesses work. Thank you for taking the time to comment, even if it only got me to notice you.

Nice to meet you!

30% bigger, but 100% more batteries, and 50% the charging time. Cuts both ways.

It is funny, though, that so many of us have such dislike for the original charger that we are ready to sign up for anything new. :rolleyes: ...--HC

Ho-Co. I'm one of those that is not distressed by the original charger. I've ordered one of the new ones so that (1) I have a backup charger, and (2) I will be able to charge multiple batteries (usually) in less time.