Sign in to follow this  
Guest guy_mancuso

Official News : Leica's new M8 charger

Before we all get excited about this "new" charger, maybe we should take a look at what it really is -- a Hahnel Twin V Pro charger with an adapter (or adapted) for M8 batteries. The Twin V Pro sells at Adorama for $69.95 set up for Canon pro DSLR batteries (can't get any more precise info, so I don't know exactly what this means). Take a look at the Adorama web site and see for yourself. <http://www.adorama.com/HHTWINVC.html> It looks identical to the one that will be offered for the M8. This raises some questions for me: (1) Why should the Leica version cost so much more? (2) if the plates that accept batteries are interchangeable, can M8 plates be bought separately? (3) Even if the answer to question 2 is no, can plates for other cameras be used with the Leica charger --- which might make it more attractive for those of us that use both Leica and Canon (or Nikon, for which they make plates too apparently)? It just annoys me that this $70 unit will be sold for nearly twice that for use with M8's.

Ho-Co. I'm one of those that is not distressed by the original charger. I've ordered one of the new ones so that (1) I have a backup charger, and (2) I will be able to charge multiple batteries (usually) in less time.

Bill where did you order one from?

Panasonic? Did you ever see the Digilux2 charger? I even had to buy a bigger car to be able to transport it...

Ditto that thought about the Digilux 2's charger. While not small, I'll weigh in on the "M8 charger isn't sexy but the 12V capability is nice" side. Like the new double-battery charger with flip lid. Will consider a purchase if it isn't too expensive.

Guest guy_mancuso

Put 2 packs of cigerattes side by side and will be pretty much what you get a little shorter on the width and a touch thicker. Smoke 'em if you got 'em:D

I have no issue with Hanhnel products - I use their batteries in my D2x - but it's clear this is a generic charger which is designed to be adaptable to different battery packs.

Leica has clearly taken the view that a version of this charger configured both electrically and mechanically to handle the M8 battery pack will do the job. Hahnel may make a tooling and setup charge to customise the charger which accounts for, in part, the higher end-user cost.

What Leica ends up with though is a product which is not optimised. It could be made much smaller than it is. Size, at the end of the day, matters.

Bill where did you order one from?

Popflash. They're really nice guys. Highly recommended (I'm on the waiting list).

I believe Guy prophecied a 4-6 week wait.

Here is a datasheet in PDF form from the manufacturer:

http://www.hahnel.ie/pdf/TwinVPro_A4.pdf

Specs:

LEDindication charge charge progress symbols, state of charge %, “E” error, battery defect, over temperature

battery tester battery capacity %

Charging time* from approx. 1 to just over 2 hours

Charge technology constant current/constant voltage (CC/CV)

Charge current 700 – 1500mA depending on type and number of batteries being charged

Power source Mains 100V-240V AC 50/60Hz Output 12V 1.25A

12V DC 12V 400mA DC 2A with Car Lead included

Battery technology rechargeable Lithium Ion or Lithium Ion Polymer

Dimensions 97H x 130W x 38D (mm)

Weight 96g (excluding battery, mains plug & 12V car lead)

Interestingly, when not connected to a power source, they say it functions as a battery charge % indicator - this 5 stage indicator (20-40-60-80-100) could be useful and more informative than the M8's basic three-bar battery indicator.

The M8 itself is 139x80x37 (mm), so think of this charger as nearly the size of the M8 body!

Just in case you missed it in my last post:

The charger is 97H x 130W x 38D (mm)

The M8 itself is 139x80x37 (mm),

so think of this charger as nearly the size of the M8 body!

Not exactly the "travel" charger we all hoped for. I like the hack that one member did a long time ago by converting the Leica charger to AC only.

-Brad

Brad, thanks for doing the research but I'm not sure how you arrived at "nearly". Every dimension of the charger is more than an M8, so (ignoring the rounded ends of the M8), the charger is 15% bigger than an M8.

I estimated it from the image as 125*92*35, so it's even bigger than that, 479ml which makes it fully 53% larger than the standard charger.

My travel charger is 1/5 the size of the new charger, though of course it runs off a laptop brick which I always take with me anyway.

All in all, not what I was hoping for...

BTW...

I just called Hahnel Ireland and asked about the M8 version of the "Twin V Pro".

They definitely said: for Digilux we have it, but none for M8 batteries.

May have to do with my poor level of spoken English or with the hurry the lady on the phone was obviously in, but I think I got the message right.

Maybe one of you native speakers might want to try again? ;-)

+353-2341606

@Guy: Did the Leica people tell when Hahnel will start selling these chargers?

Regards

Stefan

Guest guy_mancuso

4 to 6 weeks is what i was told. She may not know what is being built though and only going by a price list of stock . Not sure there on her statement

I did see these type of chargers in Germany at a store for Nikon and Canon looked pretty nice. Maybe not the tinest of chargers but i love the idea of quick and two at once. i really could have used it for my trip. i was charging at least 2 a day and had to wait for the one charger to finish before i could replace and go to bed , so that part was a real pain. I agree the first charger is just simply too big for one little battery but this one looks like you can just slip it into your cloths a lot easier without ripping your cloths up. At least there is a another option to consider is how i look at it and frankly no bigger than the ones for canon and Nikon

An odd thing about Leica chargers -- I just bought a D-Lux 3 as a pocket camera. The battery is about 2/3 the size of the M8 battery, but the charger (110-240v) is smaller than the one Mark made. There's no reasdon for the size, and it's inconvenient. I think the charger with the 12V option should have been the second charger (the optional charger), and a simple, small model to run off mains power should have been the one in the box.

JC

An odd thing about Leica chargers -- I just bought a D-Lux 3 as a pocket camera. The battery is about 2/3 the size of the M8 battery, but the charger (110-240v) is smaller than the one Mark made. There's no reasdon for the size, and it's inconvenient. I think the charger with the 12V option should have been the second charger (the optional charger), and a simple, small model to run off mains power should have been the one in the box.

JC

I agree completely. A small charger to run off AC only as standard and for those that eed it an optional charger than also runs off 12v

If I were a working professional, the twin charger would make sense but I am not. I was hoping for something like Mark's charger, a single compact device. I will probably lug around the old one for the time being. Since Leica must outsource these, there is probably not enough market out there for a new single design started from scratch.

Hello Guy,

a little word to "up" the thread

any news about this Travel Charger:confused: ???

Best regards.

Just in case you missed it in my last post:

The charger is 97H x 130W x 38D (mm)

The M8 itself is 139x80x37 (mm),

so think of this charger as nearly the size of the M8 body!

Not exactly the "travel" charger we all hoped for. I like the hack that one member did a long time ago by converting the Leica charger to AC only.

-Brad

Well, I still have space for a second M8 body in my bag, I think I'll go for the charger instead of the second body as the investment is far less important LOL

I contacted Hahnel Ireland last month and they put me in touch with their Netherlands distributor who said the Twin V Pro does NOT currently accept M8 batteries and they had no knowledge of plans for it to accept M8 batteries in the future.

I went back to Hahnel Ireland (copying them this thread) and they would not be drawn on any plans to accommodate the M8.

Either they were being coy or they genuinely are not doing this and the rumours are, at best, premature.

Mark

@markgay:

I got the same information from Hahnel in Ireland.

No M8 charger, no plans to make it in the near future. Period.

Stefan

@markgay:

I got the same information from Hahnel in Ireland.

No M8 charger, no plans to make it in the near future. Period.

Maybe the member who posted this thread could tell us where he got this "official" news from. And.... how come there is a post stating he is number two on a waiting list at popflash.... Is popflash creating an online catalog based on rumors? They do not sound like this!

Strange story....

Eric

Guest guy_mancuso

Got it straight from Leica USA and there lead marketing head. Checking again on status. This is weird i have to say because it came straight from the top