Typ 240 sensor cleaning

phong

I use the Visible Dust kit. 1.0x green swabs and matching sensor clean fluid. Leica recommend Isopropyl which I've also used successfully..

Make sure the battery is fully charged, blow out with an anti static blower (never use canned air) 2 drops on one side of the swab, leave for 30 seconds for it to soak in, then wipe from one side, and return wipe with the dry side. You may need to repeat this for a really dirty sensor.

After you've cleaned the sensor, blow out the rear lens caps which is where most crud comes from. I do this this at every lens change as well as a quick blower shot when I get home. It's now been 2 years since my last wet clean.

Hope this helps

Edited by Reeray
  • Like 1

Spotting digital in post is so much easier than what we had to do with silver prints.  Is my last step before finalizing / printing.

That said, compressed air (upright & gently!) + gel stick for the stubborn bits works for me

Spotting digital in post is so much easier than what we had to do with silver prints.  Is my last step before finalizing / printing.

That said, compressed air (upright & gently!) + gel stick for the stubborn bits works for me

Not a safe advice. Using compressed air from a can has led to a number of cases of serious sensor damage, ranging from non-removable deposits to cracked sensors from thermal shock by the cold spray. Additionally the high pressure may transport dust between the filter layers of the sensor, impossible to remove.

Use a blower bulb or vacuum system instead.

• Like 2

I've noticed dust bunnies on my M240, and I'm really careful how and where I change lenses. Watching the video of the gel, the technician seems to clean it by transferring the dirt from the gel stick onto some form of sticky paper, but to be successful it needs to be paper a bit stickier. I wonder if this comes with the kit (Is it the Sony gel stick referred to above ?). Having 'spotted' with the gel stick I notice there's no final wet wipe to get the sensor uniformly clean, I find it surprising, plus she seems to wipe the around the lens mount on the body before sending it on its way. Again rather surprising since pretty easy to transfer dust etc from the cloth into the shutter cavity, and then like magnetism onto the sensor.

Edited by Steve Ricoh

Steve

The stick comes with 10 pieces of the sticky paper.  More can easily be purchased.

I found this "sales" blurb...might add more information.

https://photographylife.com/product/sensor-gel-stick-for-sony/

In general I'm finding my M-P fairly easy to keep clean...had it now for 5 months and haven't used a wet clean yet, just strong blower.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In another thread I read about shutter lubricant contamination (especially on newish cameras) but I'm guessing the Eyelead sensor gel stick would be inadvisable since it would in itself become contaminated and just spread the lub. around. If lubricant is observed perhaps a wet clean would be best, reserving the Eyelead just for dust.

When ordering the Eyelead, is it the one designed for the Sony I should look for? I read somewhere the version for the Sony is less sticky, something to do with the image stabilisation method of mounting.