Leica M240 and Olympus T20 Flash

ord

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I've been looking for a low-profile flash for street photography (daytime) that I can toy around with I was considering a Contax TLA-200 when I remembered I have an old Olympus T20 from when I had my first OM-G 35mm camera.  

I was getting ready to give it a try when I was suddenly stricken with the fear that I was about to do something horrible to my Leica M240.  I scoured the web and was unable to find any information on compatibility between the Leica M240 and the Olympus T20 (or the Contax for that matter).  Might anyone know if my old T20 will cause damage?

I like the aesthetic (strangely) but this means nothing if it doesn't function...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

In reply to my own question I found a thread on another forum that claimed that one need not worry about high trigger voltages on Leica M as they are rated for 600V.  I put the T20 on the M240 and lo and behold it worked (though it took some adjusting to get it to produce a properly lit picture and my wife is annoyed because she claims I've permanently blinded her (I'm sure it is temporary).  

If you cant bounce that light you may want to tape a piece of tissue to it and soften the light/shadows.

Also considering turning  down the flashes power and just fill in the existing / ambient light ....if the flash will let you.