ord

Leica M240 and Olympus T20 Flash

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I've been looking for a low-profile flash for street photography (daytime) that I can toy around with I was considering a Contax TLA-200 when I remembered I have an old Olympus T20 from when I had my first OM-G 35mm camera.  

I was getting ready to give it a try when I was suddenly stricken with the fear that I was about to do something horrible to my Leica M240.  I scoured the web and was unable to find any information on compatibility between the Leica M240 and the Olympus T20 (or the Contax for that matter).  Might anyone know if my old T20 will cause damage?

I like the aesthetic (strangely) but this means nothing if it doesn't function...

In reply to my own question I found a thread on another forum that claimed that one need not worry about high trigger voltages on Leica M as they are rated for 600V.  I put the T20 on the M240 and lo and behold it worked (though it took some adjusting to get it to produce a properly lit picture and my wife is annoyed because she claims I've permanently blinded her (I'm sure it is temporary).  

If you cant bounce that light you may want to tape a piece of tissue to it and soften the light/shadows.

Also considering turning  down the flashes power and just fill in the existing / ambient light ....if the flash will let you.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Edwin Ho
      I am considering Leica SF24D as a replacement for the Olympus S20 (small auto flash).
      Took some shots of family Christmas gathering with the S20; a little under-exposed (subsequently adjusted in LR by increasing exposure).
      I hope to hear from those who had experience using the SF24D with an M9.
    • By eyespeak
      Hallo Leute,
      nachdem ich mir manchmal denke, das man nur einmal lebt, muss jetzt eine M240er her. Aus meiner Sicht gerade preislich ein guter Einstieg in das M System. Gesagt getan. Meine Traumlinse, das Leica Summilux-M 24mm 1.4 ASPH ist mir aber einfach zu teuer - und zu schwer.
      Ich wusste, wenn es mal eine M wird, dann ist das Voigtländer Classic Collection Nokton 35mm 1.4 auf jeden Fall meine engere Wahl.
      Meine Frage: Auf was sollte man achten? Es gibt auch SC und MC, und warum gibt es diese kaum gebraucht, oder bin ich blind?
      Danke schon mal.

Euch allen schon mal eine gute Zeit. Möge das Jahr 2021 besser werden als dieses!

• By Sasha
      I'm a hobby shooter and have gone through Nikon, Canon, and Sony gear, and then got into Leica M a couple of years ago.  Love my M10P and M3 and am building up a nice collection of M lenses.  I have been shooting with just natural light but would now like to experiment more with portraits and controlled lighting and external flashes.  I've been looking at the getting a couple of Godox AD200 Pros and would like to control them with a flash trigger from my M10P.  I can't find anything official about Godox/Leica compatibility on the internet, although some say that a Godox X1T or X2T Nikon version will work with Leica M and I've also read somewhere that the Olympus version is the one to go for.  Does anyone have any first hand experience or advice on this?   
    • By Alberti
      I recently bought an Orion-18 28mm F5.6 lens and coded it as Summaron. The lens has the same structure. [I like it for its compactness and low 'profile'.] I use it on my M240 but bought it for Monochrom.
      However, I notice some small tinge of purple on the top of this image in the sky.  Should I use an IR/UV filter on this lens like on the M8? The Orion accepts 40.5 mm filters. 
      This reminds me of the M8. I remember JaapV once said the M240 has some IR issues. And would [sometimes] need a light IR filter. I tried the M8 filters by Leica on the M240 but did not like the result. Probably way too strong.
      The following filters in 40.5 mm are available: 
      370-670nm  400-700nm  Which of the above is do you think appropriate?

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By 1234
      For unknown reason(s) an oddity is happening with indicated exposure times seen in viewfinder. After making an exposure, for the next two exposures there is no variation in indicated exposure time when panning about with camera. After the third exposure, the indication again varies properly as you pan about different scenes. Then repeats. As if there were an unwanted exposure lock mode in effect for 2nd and 3rd shot of a 3 shot sequence..
      Cannot find any obvious settings error likely to be the cause. The bracketing is set to 0.
      Tried to reload latest firmware but it "completes" in about two seconds so never happened. Does Leica determine the actual present checksum of the loaded firmware and decide that a reload is not necessary??
      What am I missing here? Thanks.