Using both M10 and Q - the same SD card for both?

I own a Q and my friend just ordered an M10.

If we decide to swap cameras for an hour or so while on a joint trip, can we first take our SD cards out of our cameras and insert into the other camera, so that each of us saves photos from both cameras on our own card?

No. You have to format the SD card to the camera you are using. When you format, it deletes all images on the card. Also, you should always re-format the card everytime after you have downloaded the images. 

No. You have to format the SD card to the camera you are using. When you format, it deletes all images on the card. Also, you should always re-format the card everytime after you have downloaded the images. 

Huh?  The M-D, for example,  doesn't have any way to format the card in camera.   The highly recommended SDFormatter utility can format a card WITHOUT deleting images.   Many, including myself, do not format every time we download images.  I don't think the card in my Q has been formatted since I got the Q and it may have never been formatted in the Q.  Ditto the card in my M.

With all that out of the way let me get to the original question.   I don't have an M10 so will use my M 262 in the assumption that it will be close to the M10.   I took a picture with the Q then put the card in the M 262 and took another picture.   The M can not play the Q images on the screen in Play mode.  However, when I put the M memory card in the Q and took a picture the Q could display images taken with both cameras.   Images from both cards imported into my computer just fine.

NOTE: It is possible that switching between cameras will mess up image numbering if that is something you care about.  On my M I use a custom prefix so it was not an issue.  I do wish the Q would give me that option, too.

EDIT: Yup... messed up the image numbering on my Q.

Edited by marchyman

Thank you all, this is very helpful! The most important thing for me is that the files don't get corrupted and that they import into Lightroom.

If the photos from one camera don't show on the screen of the other camera, and if the numbering is thrown off, that's the price i am willing to pay.

Still better than trying to disentagle after the import into Lightroom who took which photo, extracting the photos taken by the other person from Lightroom, copying these to an USB stick to give to the friend, deleting these photos from your Lightroom, and changing the copyright and creator fields (we assign them automatically during the Lightroom import).

Huh?  The M-D, for example,  doesn't have any way to format the card in camera.   The highly recommended SDFormatter utility can format a card WITHOUT deleting images.   Many, including myself, do not format every time we download images.  I don't think the card in my Q has been formatted since I got the Q and it may have never been formatted in the Q.  Ditto the card in my M.

With all that out of the way let me get to the original question.   I don't have an M10 so will use my M 262 in the assumption that it will be close to the M10.   I took a picture with the Q then put the card in the M 262 and took another picture.   The M can not play the Q images on the screen in Play mode.  However, when I put the M memory card in the Q and took a picture the Q could display images taken with both cameras.   Images from both cards imported into my computer just fine.

NOTE: It is possible that switching between cameras will mess up image numbering if that is something you care about.  On my M I use a custom prefix so it was not an issue.  I do wish the Q would give me that option, too.

EDIT: Yup... messed up the image numbering on my Q.

Whenever inserting your memory card into a camera, be sure to format the card in the camera so it’s completely prepared to work with the hardware. We don’t recommend that you use the same memory card in multiple cameras, unless you’ve already removed the important images from the card, saved them on your computer (or backed them up), and reformatted the card in the second camera first. Switching cards between cameras can corrupt images saved on the card or cause it to malfunction during shooting.

• Like 1

Yes that's just what I (half-)remembered! You don't lose any pics either way.

What's the advantage of using one card? All I see are disadvantages and potential problems. I format every new card when I put it in the camera and I format used cards after I've downloaded the images and backed them up properly. Never had a problem with that strategy.

• Like 1

Despite the assurances you have received, One card is a very risky proposition! I can't imagine why you would adopt that strategy. You or your friend will keep getting Incompatibility warnings when you don't expect them. And what if a card fails? Surely you would plan to carry at least two cards, after all they are not expensive. I carry 6 and don't fill any. I don't risk losing all my shots. Work with two cards at least. One in your Q and at the beginning of the trip format the second card in your friends M10 . Take them both home. Transfer your files to your computer and then reformat the M10 card to avoid confusion.

Use the SDFORMAT application on a PC or MAC to prepare both cards before you go.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

Hmmm. I have used the same card in both the Q and the M262. I even managed to transfer M262 pictures in the Q app. Maybe I was doing something wrong?  :p

Matlep

I'm pleased it worked for you and long may your success continue - especially with the Q app which can be unpredictable at times. It remains, that you have two systems with software written by two teams. If Leica make changes to the Firmware of either system, continued success may not be assured. I still wonder why the OP doesn't have more than one card in order to separate images taken on each device.

Each to their own! Good luck to all. I follow a safe storage strategy.

• Like 3

Thanks once again, this is a useful exchange of opinions. I interpret this thread as two separate cards being the safest and risk-free option. There are also several anecdotal reports of success with using one card per person only, so this may also be a viable option if one is willing to take the risk.

The first option sounds easy enough so thanks for this suggestion which i will follow.

I still wonder why the OP doesn't have more than one card in order to separate images taken on each device.

As i said in my original post, fhe M10 has just been ordered. It will be many weeks before we have a chance to put this in practice.