Advice on buying brand new M6 TTL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a chance to buy a brand new unopened M6 TTL. Does anyone have expertise or experience in whether buying a new M film camera that has been sitting in its box for over 10 years means the camera will be OK, or will it likely need servicing due to being out of use for so long?

I am debating between this and a second hand one (much cheaper!) serviced 3 years ago.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

A new M6TTL is likely to be closer to 20 years old than 10. That said, provided it hasn't been stored in an extreme environment it is likely to work absolutely fine, without the need for a CLA. However, this is just my unscientific opinion and you are likely to get responses here that will insist that you will irretrievably damage the camera unless it is taken apart and given a fresh application of grease.

Edited by wattsy

The worst case scenario is that you buy it, use it and find that the shutter speeds are a little off and you need to get it CLAd but that's not an expensive thing to have done, especially not compared to the purchase cost of the camera. Even if something more significant happens, like it jams or something, it's still fixable and you'll have a fabulous camera.

The more relevant question for you is how much are you being asked to pay for it and whether the premium you're paying for it being NOS/BNIB is justifiable. It's likely that the only justification for the premium would be because you value it and almost certainly you will lose that premium if you chose to resell it (unless you're buying it as a collectors piece).

If you want to buy an M6 to use, then probably the best option is to buy an excellent condition used one rather than a NOS one. This way, not only will you not lose (too much) of the premium you're paying but you'll also likely have more assurance that it works just fine.

Thanks for all your advice. I am still in two minds as I am attracted to the idea of a 'new in box' version of this classic Leica - though the idea is to use it and not for a collectable only. However, the cost is about 1.5x a good second hand one - though still very cheap compared to any new digital M (which I am much more likely to sell in the future at a huge loss!).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My guess is that it would be fine.

If it is from a dealer it should still come with a warranty in any case.

Actually I wonder whether the factory warranty (which probably is five years for this model) would still be valid.

I would not be worried about the need of a CLA and its cost. While it is possible that a CLA will be needed as components might be sticky and times can be slightly off, if you buy a used mint M6 you still run the risk of needing a CLA and it will cost you the same (the CLA). 

As mentioned above, it's a matter of that 50% premium paid over a mint used M6. You will lose a good chunk of that premium, if not most, as soon as you start using the camera, if you're fine with that, then go for it.

If you intend to use the camera extensively, perhaps a used one (a "user" one, not mint) would be certainly a more cost effective option. But then if you you're not planning on selling it and you can afford the new one, then who cares. If I was you, I'd buy  the new one. 

The M6 is a very reliable camera, mine is from 1984 and I do a CLA every 10 years or so and it runs just flawlessly. 

Cheers, 

Lorenzo 

Once you will take it from the box and start using it will become (in value) same as any clean, used M6 TTL, which comes with original box and else. The only reason I like Leica new is because I could register it with Leica under rightful entitlement :)

Edited by Ko.Fe.

Once you will take it from the box and start using it will become (in value) same as any clean, used M6 TTL, which comes with original box and else. The only reason I like Leica new is because I could register it with Leica under rightful entitlement :)

But that's the case with anything. Plenty of used SL's going but some people still buy new!

It's nice to be the first user and know the full history of an item. But I'm happy buying used in most cases.

• Like 1

In my experience Leica is pretty good on backup and servicing of second hand cameras. They fixed a used M240 I had once for free which was out of warranty and had to be sent back to Germany. The official Aussie servicing outlet in Melbourne is pretty good as well.

In any case, I am very tempted by the new one, especially as I do see it as a long term purchase. My only other film camera is an FM2 which has lived through at least 10 buying and selling of other digital iterations.

With an M6TTL you have the only film M with the time wheel turning like on digital Leicas, which also works without batteries (The M7 turning the same, but it NEEDS batteries). If it has the color you wanted you are a lucky guy - I 'd get it. In fact I have a pair of M6TTL and prefer them to the MP (also because of the price).

In my experience Leica is pretty good on backup and servicing of second hand cameras. They fixed a used M240 I had once for free which was out of warranty and had to be sent back to Germany. The official Aussie servicing outlet in Melbourne is pretty good as well.

In any case, I am very tempted by the new one, especially as I do see it as a long term purchase. My only other film camera is an FM2 which has lived through at least 10 buying and selling of other digital iterations.

I don't disagree with you, though keep in mind that Leica itself may not be the best place to CLA an old Leica. It would be more expensive, but not necessarily better. Maybe for the M6/M7 is fine as the M7 is still in production. I understand Leica no longer have spare parts for the older cameras and its current technicians don't necessarily have experience with old collectible cameras. Many collectors use independent technicians for CLAs of old cameras. 

I would be happy to be proved wrong by other people's experience with Leica. 

I don't disagree with you, though keep in mind that Leica itself may not be the best place to CLA an old Leica. It would be more expensive, but not necessarily better. Maybe for the M6/M7 is fine as the M7 is still in production. I understand Leica no longer have spare parts for the older cameras and its current technicians don't necessarily have experience with old collectible cameras. Many collectors use independent technicians for CLAs of old cameras. 

I would be happy to be proved wrong by other people's experience with Leica. 

Thanks for that. I will keep in mind. Especially as the Leica dealer in Aus is a 1 hour flight away as well.

With an M6TTL you have the only film M with the time wheel turning like on digital Leicas, which also works without batteries (The M7 turning the same, but it NEEDS batteries). If it has the color you wanted you are a lucky guy - I 'd get it. In fact I have a pair of M6TTL and prefer them to the MP (also because of the price).

Yes I worked that out after a bit of research and it surprised me (ie the shutter dial). The M6TTL is really the only Leica film I have looked at for that exact reason. Also I like the idea of it working mechanically with no battery and having a light meter (I don't trust myself judging exposure well enough - especially with only 36 shots to play with).