Guide to black long base rangefinders?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone! My first post on this forum is about a black Leitz rangefinder I found. It is huge and it is numbered on the dial 11-1000 mtr. Has an eyepiece accessory in the case. I guess is not for photo-cameras, but since you have more knowledge and documentation, maybe you can help me identify this rangefinder. Thanks!

I am not allowed to share photos from PhotoBucket, so here is a link to a photo:

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/Hondarul/media/218023521_5_1000x700_e-leitz-neamt_rev006_zps6ufeppgm.jpg.html

You can post photos on this forum by using the more reply options. Max size in any dimension is 1200 pixels. I would like to see some more pictures of that rangefinder. I suspect it may be either for target shooting or military purposes. 

Wilson

You can post photos on this forum by using the more reply options. Max size in any dimension is 1200 pixels. I would like to see some more pictures of that rangefinder. I suspect it may be either for target shooting or military purposes. 

Wilson

I think that you are right. That 1,000 mtr distance would not appear on a camera rangefinder. Modern Leica rangefinders for rifle shooting have capability for such distances.

William 

• 9 months later...

A very nice example of an unnumbered Fodis in case marked ‘fratelli Avanzo, Trieste’. I believe their shop opened in 1925

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I know that there are Fodis, et. al. hand-held or mounted rangefinders that are used by you early non-rangefinder Leica I users, but have any of you used modern laser rangefinders and if so, do you prefer the viewfinder golf or hunting types or the non-viewfinder types like the Leica Distos that were primarily designed for building contractors? And which do you believe to be more accurate; Leica Fodis types or the Laser types?

Edited by lenspeeper

I have a Disto but I actually prefer my FODIS and FODUA, especially if there are people around. I am always worried if I might by accident shine a laser in a child's eye. I know they are supposed to be eye-safe but I am far from convinced. 

Wilson

1 hour ago, lenspeeper said:

[...]I know that there are Fodis, et. al. hand-held or mounted rangefinders that are used by you early non-rangefinder Leica I users, but have any of you used modern laser rangefinders [...] ?

I equipped a 6x10cm viewfinder camera with a laser rangefinder which can be targeted though the cameras  Leica viewfinder. Ask if interested and maybe I will post pictures.

Edited by pico

Pico said:

"...I equipped a 6x10cm viewfinder camera with a laser rangefinder which can be targeted though the cameras  Leica viewfinder. Ask if interested and maybe I will post pictures...."

pico,

I. re-read your posting and I'm sorry if my response didn't make sense. Are you saying that the laser beam goes through your camera viewfinder? I'm not sure what your setup is. I had thought about mounting a small optical  viewfinder with a center crosshair onto a Leica Disto, and sighting my target ( tree, rock, persons eyes) with the Leica Disto. Then when I shoot the scene, my selected target should be in precise focus. I would really appreciate a photo of your setup.

Edited by lenspeeper
clarification

I don't find the Disto very reliable as a rangefinder, as getting a reading depends on the reflectivity of the object you are pointing at. Point the Disto at something like a bush and you are unlikely to get a reading. Maybe a golfing rangefinder might be better than a Disto, which is intended for accurate shorter distance measurements not for rangefinding. Leica make a rangefinder, called a Rangemaster, as well as the distance measuring devices but they are not cheap. Bushnell do them at a fraction of the price but I don't know how accurate they are. 

Wilson

10 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

I don't find the Disto very reliable as a rangefinder, as getting a reading depends on the reflectivity of the object you are pointing at. Point the Disto at something like a bush and you are unlikely to get a reading. Maybe a golfing rangefinder might be better than a Disto, which is intended for accurate shorter distance measurements not for rangefinding. Leica make a rangefinder, called a Rangemaster, as well as the distance measuring devices but they are not cheap. Bushnell do them at a fraction of the price but I don't know how accurate they are. 

Wilson

I think for the time being, I'll use an optical rangefinder. I found a small old cheapy called Präzisa in pretty good condition. When you compare it to what the on-line vendors call Ex, this one would be exceptional. I found out how to adjust it and put it on my Leica 240 and comparing and adjusting at the two foot marker, I got them to match. I'll shoot a roll with the RoBoT and check the results. Since I rarely shoot wide open, it should be good enough. Thanks to you all for your comments and suggestions. It's nice to be on a polite and helpful forum.   

• 3 years later...

Hi Everyone,

There is a lot of very useful information in this thread , unfortunately I was unable to precisely identify my rangefinder. Is there anyone who can help me?

Thanks !

On 5/22/2018 at 1:30 PM, wlaidlaw said:

Wilson

2480 pixels. 

7 hours ago, Raphaelc said:

Hi Everyone,

There is a lot of very useful information in this thread , unfortunately I was unable to precisely identify my rangefinder. Is there anyone who can help me?

Thanks !

I will have a look in Laney tomorrow and I should be able to identify the rangefinder. The large dial models are generally considered to have originally been aimed at the cine camera market, as in the period this was made, cine lenses were often faster than still camera lenses, with attendant narrower DOF. 

Wilson

• Like 1

I think this may be a FOKIN for cine work. There is a holder for it called the FOKUX. It is from around 1926 and at that time Leitz produced a lot of items which were not for the newly introduced Leica cameras. Indeed, back then the name 'Leica' was relatively unknown, but the Leitz name was highly regarded in the field of general optics. 

William 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately I have just realised that I left the Laney book at my French house but the extract below is from the Leica Accessory Guide originally published by Hove Cameras (Derek Grossmark and Malcolm Taylor). This confirms what William says above. I have an early FODIS rangefinder, with no serial number but which from the date stamped inside its leather case, is from 1924. I also have a FODUA from a few years later. 

Wilson

• Like 1