Using R lenses on the SL w adapter

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If money is no objection I would encourage you go for the 24-90mm... optically perfect, very versatile zoom reach, excellent AF, image stabilization and very well balanced on the SL.

I told you Bob... the SL glass spoils you :)

I am new here, gained entry with the purchase of a Leica Q just last week and I am already looking hard at the SL

In an effort to come down a bit from the size and weight of the SL with the 24-90mm, how do you think this lens would do on the SL with the Leica R to L adaptor?

Leica Vario-Elmar-R 35-70mm/F4.0 E60 ROM 

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum. The lens works really well and the quality is excellent. Not as good as the SL zoom but really really nice. If manual focus and the f/4 aperture is OK for you then nothing speaks against it. Please note that the adapter does add an inch to the length of the lens.

I bought mine as a small and light all-round zoom but over time I have learnt that I really do prefer prime lenses so despite its excellence I don't use it much. PM me if you are interested in a deal.

For anyone in the future looking at this thread, I found this list on the Adorama site of acceptable R lenses for the SL

You can add the all important 28 PC Super Angulon which works great on the M body. I prefer the newer R lens to SL body adapter. The removable tripod foot support is infinitely easier to remove and put on. The earlier R to M support requires a small hex key,  .... an extra step .... and tool to carry, and lose .. 

You can add the all important 28 PC Super Angulon which works great on the M body. I prefer the newer R lens to SL body adapter. The removable tripod foot support is infinitely easier to remove and put on. The earlier R to M support requires a small hex key,  .... an extra step .... and tool to carry, and lose .. 

Rafael, since I don't own a Leica SL yet, I am confused by the removable tripod foot on the R to L adaptor. What is it's purpose?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Rafael, since I don't own a Leica SL yet, I am confused by the removable tripod foot on the R to L adaptor. What is it's purpose?

Thanks.

For heavier R glass it’s better to use the tripod collar on the adapter rather than attaching the tripod to the SL. Less stress on the mount.

• Like 1