Horizontal Line of Dead Pixels on M240

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone! I picked up a second hand M240 a couple of weeks back and have been loving it ever since. I just went out to edit some photos today and I noticed a horizontal line of what look like dead pixels that are in many of my photos. They don't seem to be in every photo from the session though. It's deeply saddening to see this issue with a camera I just bought. I'm not sure if it's a sensor issue or a memory card issue. Does anyone have any additional info on the matter? The line is above the center of the photo and mostly on the right side of the image. Thanks!

Images - http://imgur.com/a/3h6Dc

My M262 is with Leica NJ for 3 weeks now for the same issue. They had not answered my email with example pictures, and I just sent the camera in.

Was the issue consistent on your M262? I haven't had it happen since this morning. I've also switched to another memory card and haven't had the issue return.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

[...] The line is above the center of the photo and mostly on the right side of the image. [...]

It is visible on the left as well (pic). Looks like a dead pixel column running the entire length of the sensor. Can be mapped out in firmware but you'll have to send in the camera to Leica.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You can touch up those client pics easily in PS - but yep, back to the factory it is.  When you do get it back, once you're confident the 240 is reliable (no probs here ever) - you'll love it

Hope you have a back up camera & can keep working

PS:  Nice shots!

Was the issue consistent on your M262? I haven't had it happen since this morning. I've also switched to another memory card and haven't had the issue return.

For me it was not happening every time too. But it was at ~100% when a shot was taken when the previous one was still writing to the buffer (red light flashing). I wonder if yours is the same.

I am not sure if it is the sensor or something else but when I called Leica they said my camera was in repair.

• Like 1

For me it was not happening every time too. But it was at ~100% when a shot was taken when the previous one was still writing to the buffer (red light flashing). I wonder if yours is the same.

I am not sure if it is the sensor or something else but when I called Leica they said my camera was in repair.

That's interesting. I just tried that now and haven't been able to reproduce the issue. I've also taken another 20-30 shots over the past couple of days with a new memory card with no issues.

You can touch up those client pics easily in PS - but yep, back to the factory it is. 

sblutter and I are likely in agreement. My difference is that when one of my M9s show flaws, I have a PS action that cures the flaw, hands-off, and in batch when necessary.

My expectations of a perfect sensor have evaporated.

sblutter and I are likely in agreement. My difference is that when one of my M9s show flaws, I have a PS action that cures the flaw, hands-off, and in batch when necessary.

My expectations of a perfect sensor have evaporated.

Oh interesting. Can you talk more about that PS action and how I can use or create one for this case? Thanks!

I also notice it's not just a single pixel column, at least for the first photo I posted. It looks like 3-4 pixels for the height.

Please see these photos:

http://imgur.com/a5Jb2xm

http://imgur.com/XbUZtak

I also still haven't been able to reproduce the issue with the new memory card.

Edited by leicatech

• 9 months later...

I've been having this problem on an M-P240, and I think it might be when writing to the buffer like you, when the red light is flashing. I've been noticing that in my continuous series I get it a bunch, but when I look at photos I know I took slowly, just one at a time with plenty of time in between, I don't see it. I'm going to do some tests to see if this is really it.

I'm glad you noticed that, I never would have

Thank god for the spot healing brush in Photoshop!