Which macro lens ?

Magic

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I just sold my Nikon gear and hopefully I will get my M10 next week. I also ordered the 50mm Summilux and for the lower range the 28mm Summilux. Since I am not familiar with the product range (yet), I am looking for something at the upper range. Yesterday I found a 90mm (Elmar ?) macro for which you need to purchase a macro adapter.

Is this a good lens for macro shots since the adapter has a 1:2 magnifying factor or are there other, better lenses for that purpose on the market ?

Thank you very much for your replies.

Greetings, Jurgen

Edited by Magic

Both versions of the macro Elmar-M are very good. The older uses goggles and the newer uses a adapter and EVF. There are many options once you've accepted the use of the EVF. The R system has several good macro lenses, plus you can use both the R and M bellows and extension tubes.

Macro generally requires the use of a tri-pod, but for portability and general ease of use the 90 Macro-Elmar is hard to beat.

• Like 2

Thank you very much for your reply. Meanwhile I browsed the internet a bit and looked at some photos, taken with that lens, and I think this is a strong buy for me together with the adapter. Tripod for macro is mandatory - I had a Nikon D4s + 105/2.8 :-)

I had a Nikon D4s + 105/2.8 :-)

I have the 90 Macro Elmar-M and, as a very portable lens that provides a Macro-ish option for my film M bodies, it is invaluable. However, I don't think it is nearly as versatile or useful for serious Macro work as is the Nikon 105/F2.8 VR. The latter is an incredible piece of kit.

If you do not need 1:1 or are willing to use Elpro or the special adapters, the 60mm R macro is very good and the 100mm Apo Macro is even better. 60mm inexpensive, 100mm expensive, but gives longer distance to the subject.

p.

• Like 1

Dear wattsy,

thank you very much for your reply. I was referring to the necessary/useful use of a tripod which I did with the above mentioned combination. Now, that I am "exploring new territory" and the Nikon is sold, I have to use what is available. :huh:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

thank you very much for your reply. I was referring to the necessary/useful use of a tripod which I did with the above mentioned combination. Now, that I am "exploring new territory" and the Nikon is sold, I have to use what is available. :huh:

You might miss that Nikon. With the M10 and the EVF and an adaptor, the world is your oyster when it comes to macro. Don't automatically assume that the Macro Elmar-M is the best option. It is very sharp but it does have ugly bokeh.

tumblr_o97zgaAjxD1r1w4b4o1_1280.jpg

• Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2014/07/leica-macro-elmar-m-90/amp/

Besides macro use, Erwin Puts famously considers the lens (both versions) as the best general purpose 90 mm in the Leica arsenal and one of the top lenses Leica ever produced.

Beware that, unlike the first version, the hood on the new model cannot be reversed on the lens for storage.

Jeff

R Macro 60mm is a fine lens..and not too expensive..and you can get the ext tube for it as well..to go 1 to 1..

If you want to save even more bux and have a screwmount to M adapter..you can use a Focotar-2 enlarging lens or similar..with stellar results..you will have to use DOORX ext tubes though..

Can the Macro Adapter M be usefully used with M lenses on the SL (with relevant M adapter of course)?

The new Macro Adapter M (the one without goggles) is intended for use with an EVF and so works just fine on the SL.  The older one, with the goggles, still works on the SL but is a little "clunky" since you have a strange, useless appendage sticking out of your lens. Not a big deal from a practical standpoint.  

The newer one intended for use with EVF cameras and M(240) and later M models has the added benefit of a helicoid extension so it brings macro capability on the 90mm all the way to 1:2.  On the old adapter I think you could only reach 1:3.

- Jared

• Like 2

Beware that, unlike the first version, the hood on the new model cannot be reversed on the lens for storage.

Jeff

And also that great care is needed when fitting to stop the spring clips from cutting into the finish of the lens rim. I speak from bitter experience and now use the simple screw-in cylindrical shield by Leica, 12550, instead. (Black Sharpie to the rescue!)

Edited by microview

The macro M adapter can be used with any M lens.

I use mine on my SL with the 75 and 50 focal lengths, and it works very well; just be careful that you maintain a workable depth of field!

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 2

The Novoflex Noflexar 35mm f/3.5 (M42) macro lens from the 1960s might be another option. I bought one just recently. It needs an M42 to Leica M adapter and is prone to flare, but overall, I like it. It is probably hard to get. Here is some information about it on my Website: http://www.waloszek.de/m240_noflexar35_e.php (Samples start here: http://www.waloszek.de/m240_closeup_samples_nn35_e.php ).

Best regards, Gerd

Edited by waloszek
  • Like 2

I've been using a Nikon Macro 105 f/2.8D and a Fotodiox adapter it  works like a charm and is amazingly sharp.  Always with a tripod
For the record I like the EVF on the 240.....it slows me down.

I  hope one day to pick up the Leica adjustable macro M adapter and see how my Leica lenses reproduce at Macro distances.

I'm sure Leica's  current 90mm macro is amazing but its not a lens for me.

• Like 1

Thank you all very much for your replies. Well...the Nikon is sold - so no turning back. I spoke to the Leica salesman in Dubai today and he recommended to try out the macro adapter with the Summilux 50 that I am purchasing instead of getting the 90mm Elmar...so I think I will try out that.

If you do not need 1:1 or are willing to use Elpro or the special adapters, the 60mm R macro is very good and the 100mm Apo Macro is even better. 60mm inexpensive, 100mm expensive, but gives longer distance to the subject.

p.

I tried my 100mm Apo Macro on M (Typ 240) but was never happy with the micro detail I was getting with this combination. I kept the lens but  M is long gone now and I look forward to trying it on the new M10. Is micro four thirds a better platform (available lenses etc.) for macro?  Macro on micro four thirds looks better to me (from the pictures I've seen on the web). 

Edited by magosak

i use the 55mm f2.8 nikkor with my m240 and it's good enough for me:)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thank you all very much for your replies. Well...the Nikon is sold - so no turning back. I spoke to the Leica salesman in Dubai today and he recommended to try out the macro adapter with the Summilux 50 that I am purchasing instead of getting the 90mm Elmar...so I think I will try out that.

My experience with the Macro adapter is that while the 90mm Macro-Elmar lens is really a useful lens because of its compactness and weight making useful for traveling and backpacking, the versatility of the macro adapter is that you can use it with any lens. It takes quite a bit of playing around to get the hang of it though and some of the things seem to run counter to the intuitive understanding that you develop around focal distance and depth of field when using lenses as they were intended. For example, you tend to have a sense that a 90mm has a narrower DOF than a 28mm. However, when you stick them both on an extension tube like the macro adapter, the 90's range of focus is further away from the camera and so the DOF is wider than the 28mm which requires the subject to be closer to the camera.

Anyway, the point is not to get mired in the details. The point I'm making is the macro adapter can be used with any M lens and it takes some practice to really get the hang of it. Unlike macro lenses which can focus from 2"-infinity when you insert the macro adapter the full throw of the focus ring combined with the variable length of the macro adapter gives you a range of about a couple of inches which can be in focus. You're fully committed to macro and have a very narrow range to work to achieve the desired composition. So you may end up finding that a different lens would work better. It takes a while to develop the intuitive understanding of perspective, focal distance, and DOF when doing macro this way. You just need to play around a while trying this lens and that lens when you aren't really worried about getting the shot to get the hang of it.

I have hundreds of shots of my keychain, a cobweb in the corner, rulers and this one wood sorrel flower that was growing just off the edge of my sidewalk.

• Like 1

You might miss that Nikon. With the M10 and the EVF and an adaptor, the world is your oyster when it comes to macro. Don't automatically assume that the Macro Elmar-M is the best option. It is very sharp but it does have ugly bokeh.

I'm surprised by what you're saying Ian. I have never got ugly bokey out of the 90/4 macro so far. Below at f/4 and f/22.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!