EXIF Data for Lens Type on MM1?

tangfj

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, was hoping someone could help me with this...

For images taken with my MM1, when I import to my mac (Photos) I am not getting lens model information in the EXIF.  I have tried taking the jpg file and directly checking the EXIF info in Jeffrey's EXIF (http://exif.regex.info/exif.cgi) but from what I can see, the lens model is not in the EXIF information...  When I open the image in preview on my mac and view the EXIF using the inspector tool, similarly I'm not seeing the lens model in there at all.

Is this a quirk about the MM1 or is there something I need to set on the camera to record the lens information to the EXIF data?  My camera is on firmware 1.016, which I believe is the latest firmware.

I'm not having the same issue on any of my other Leica cameras (M10, Q)... just the MM1...

Anyway, if anyone could let me know how to fix this or if it's just the way the camera works, I'd appreciate it!

With the MM1 Leica put the lens info into the Makers Notes section of the EXIF rather than the normal location for some reason. So many programs don't find it.  Lightroom reports it, but Capture Ones does not.  I suspect you will have to use an EXIF editor to manually enter it if you want Photos to report it.

Edited by Luke_Miller

I see... I was able to get the EXIF data using M9Info app so that'll have to do for now... Strangely I'm able to get the focal length to work in Apple Photos... so they are getting some of the data out, just not all.   Anyway, I'd switch to Lightroom in a heartbeat if there was a way for Lightroom and Apple Photos to share the same library but I don't think this is possible from what I've read.

The focal length is recorded in the expected position in the EXIF, so Lightroom and Capture One (and Apple Photos) report it correctly. The Lens nomenclature is in the Makers Notes and only Lightroom seems to look for it there.  Since Lightroom was bundled with the MM1 I assume Leica told Adobe where to look for it. 

I'm a PC user using Lightroom and Capture One.  They don't play well together, so I typically use Lightroom as my DAM and process in Capture One.  I prefer Capture One for my Monochrom files. It has both a Clarity and Structure slider while Lightroom has Clarity only.  The Structure tool gives a bit more "bite" which I like in my shots. Both integrate well with Silver Efex Pro2 which I use on most Monochrom shots.