How to temporarily freeze my SL

Guest roey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In the Firmware 3.0 thread I mentioned that my camera does occasionally freeze. After it locked up a couple of times over the last weekend I spent some time today trying to see whether I can reproduce the problem. As it turns out, I can, however it looks like it is a temporary freeze since if I wait for what feels like 10 seconds the SL does recover and starts working again.

Here are the steps to reproduce the (temporary) freeze:

1. Set drive mode to medium speed

2. Turn off auto review

3. Hold down the shutter to take ~10 shots

4. While the red light is blinking

4.1. Hit the play button (TR)

4.2. Double tap the display (to zoom in)

4.3. Swipe on the display

At that point the display freezes and the camera no longer reacts to any buttons or switches -- including the off-switch. The red light keeps blinking for a while. After another 5 seconds or so the camera starts responding again.

I am sure there are other series of steps that would give the same result. Before I try to narrow this down further (try different cards, different battery, different steps) I would be grateful if some of you could try out the above steps and let me know whether you can reproduce this with your cameras.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's probably just unable to process all those commands. However you should send Leica an email outlining your discovery. They may very well look into it.

Gordon

i did send Canon and nikon about this same issue 2 years ago and they said it is just the buffer can't keep up writing/display at the same time. They also ask why am i in a rush to view the picture that way? lolz

I have given up on reporting bugs to Leica—never heard anything back from them.

Thanks for all the advice and theories, but I was hoping that I can get some help here to rule out a hardware defect. Hence my request for some brave souls to try out whether they can reproduce the issue. I don't want to send my camera to Leica just to learn that it is a firmware defect.

Any volunteers?

I understand "ruling out a hardware defect" but given this is a very specific use case I'm not sure I understand the point. Let Leica know about it and see if you get a response.

You can probably quickly rule out a hardware issue by trying the same type of thing with slightly different inputs such as higher and lower speed with the same 10 shots or perhaps a few less or a few more, or trying the same with jpeg only or Raw only or jpeg/raw, etc to determine whether you're simply overwhelming the camera's processor and buffering capabilities.