Bottom plate small metal pin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can someone tell me the importance of the pin in the bottom plate? I was advised when removing the bottom plate to keep it as a spare in my camera bag, whilst using the grip because this pin which I have marked makes an electrical connection when the bottom plate is fixed in place.

Without the plate the camera does not take photos as far as I can see. I think this pin rests on the SD card outer enclosure when the plate is in place.

Just curious that's all, it is in way a problem to me, just curious.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It's a magnet to let the camera know the bottom cover is affixed. The M240 has the same thing. (can't speak about previous generations since I don't have them)

Why? No real clue. I don't think anything bad would happen if the bottom wasn't attached...

Indeed. It is wise to invest in a 5 mm cobalt magnet from ebay, as it there have been one or two reports of one getting lost. Carrying one in your camera bag can save the day. The camera will not function without.

Indeed. It is wise to invest in a 5 mm cobalt magnet from ebay, as it there have been one or two reports of one getting lost. Carrying one in your camera bag can save the day. The camera will not function without.

So that was good advice from the Leica Store in Zürich, thanks to Ivo Crivellibut now I know the reason thanks to you Jaap.

I am however still curious to know why the camera would not function without it. I can understand that the bottom plate has to be fixed in position for the camera to work, but to rely on such a small magnet ..... 

Edited by Guest

Cyanoacrylate gel. (Superglue gel) I carry that in my toiletries bag anyway. But in an emergency you can use sticky tape or whatever is to hand. Before anybody asks: polarity is irrelevant.

• Like 1

I am just wondering... (don't jump on me)... why not fix the magnet on the main body! Advantages: 1) not worrying about dropping baseplate and losing magnet. 2) can be used on tripod without baseplate, allowing battery/card change without taking off from tripod.

I am just wondering... (don't jump on me)... why not fix the magnet on the main body! Advantages: 1) not worrying about dropping baseplate and losing magnet. 2) can be used on tripod without baseplate, allowing battery/card change without taking off from tripod.

The magnet activates a switch in the bottom of the camera. The switch wouldn't do muck if it were attached to the base plate.

The magnet activates a switch in the bottom of the camera. The switch wouldn't do muck if it were attached to the base plate.

The existing arrangement brings magnet close to the main body when baseplate is closed. This is how camera senses baseplate is removed or not. If you glue the magnet to the main body instead then camera will always assume baseplate is on. I will test it out some time.