Super-Vario-Elmar-T 11-23mm

Crocus in the Lawn 

17.8mm f11

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

I like the idea of different threads for different T / TL lenses as Volbeat has done with this 11-23 thread.

I think there is advantage to seeing a collection / series of pix taken via the same lens.

What say you?

I do see one problem... How would such a scheme allow us to keep seeing the wonderful shots taken via Louis' and Rick's non-T / TL lenses?

John

Edited by Learner
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like the idea of different threads for different T / TL lenses as Volbeat has done with this 11-23 thread.

I think there is advantage to seeing a collection / series of pix taken via the same lens.

What say you?

I do see one problem... How would such a scheme allow us to keep seeing the wonderful shots taken via Louis' and Rick's non-T / TL lenses?

John

John, I see your point, but we do that, the main T/TL Photos forum would die little by little; and that would be too bad.

When I used to be an Olympus/ Panasonic shooter I liked that the M43 Forum had dedicated threads for each lens (as well as a whole other section with various genres - like we have here Product threads and Image threads). 

The big advantage of a lens specific thread comes when you are considering buying a new lens. You can easily find a collection of images all taken with the same 'tool' and thereby decide if you like the rendering, bokeh, field of view. Owners will also comment on things like the necessity for a hood with this lens or how heavy that one is...

In reply to John, I'd simply make a Non-Native (or Adapted) Lens thread for the Nikkor, Zeiss and so on

Anyway - I love it here so I'm very happy to go along with popular opinion whether that be to continue the existing thread or, now that there are over 120 pages, split into lens-specific threads.

How do we hold a vote?

• Like 2

The big advantage of a lens specific thread comes when you are considering buying a new lens. You can easily find a collection of images all taken with the same 'tool' and thereby decide if you like the rendering, bokeh, field of view. Owners will also comment on things like the necessity for a hood with this lens or how heavy that one is...

I believe if we could see the exif of the posted photos by hovering or right clicking on a shot, we could find some very useful information about that shot. This is a very serious issue for a site that is meant to be built for photography!... I think LUF should have been designed in a much better, helpful and professional way. It is just not logical to load a shot in our computer in order to get some information about it! ... I just can't understand how a "Photography" site could be designed without allowing to check the exif of the photos!!!! ... Not very "Professional"!...

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

I purchased a Summicron T 23 a few months ago, and have fallen in love with it. In the meantime my Vario-Elmar T 18-56 is languishing. Wondering if I should replace it with one of these lovely lenses? Any thoughts?

I purchased a Summicron T 23 a few months ago, and have fallen in love with it. In the meantime my Vario-Elmar T 18-56 is languishing. Wondering if I should replace it with one of these lovely lenses? Any thoughts?

Maybe visit a dealer and try one to see if it suits you.

dunk

• Like 1

The 23mm is a lens I haven't purchased because the 11-23mm covers it.  I woudn't mind a flatter lens for times when I want the smallest camera/lens.  So, my 2 cents or thought would be to try it as suggested and then determine which of your other lenses  you want or don't want.    

To the above poster,

I too found that I have recently been favoring the delightful TL primes (23 & 35mm), and my 18-56 zoom was instead sitting idly - until I recently took a 2-week cruise and beach vacation with my family (including our active 2 yr old grandson).

While I brought along a lot of TL gear, I typically desired to walk out of the room with just a single-lens mounted. I realized it would otherwise be impractical to stop (with an active 2 year old) to frequently change lenses.

During the day, the 18-56 was my go-to choice for having a versatile single lens setup to walk out of the room with (leaving a camera bag behind). I was shooting mostly candids and travel/landscape shots (with and without people). The zoom gave up next-to-nothing in final IQ compared to the stellar TL primes (mainly the primes' have narrower DOF which wasn't a pressing need for my anticipated daylight settings).

Having the flexibility of the zoom's 28-86mm equivalent focal length was instead more useful for me to quickly shift from candids to landscape photos while keeping pace with the family.

In fact, I found the 18-56's autofocus to perform slightly faster and lock quicker than the stellar 35mm TL-Lux (in good light).

At night, when I needed more low-light capabilities, I typically walked out with the 23mm lens bolted on instead, and I had a much smaller camera at my disposal. Being with a group indoors, I was fine with the 23's fixed focal length and more needed the extra aperture and smaller size.

Overall, I found that I grabbed about 80% of my family vacation keeper photos with the zoom (without any regret to instead have used a prime), and I rekindled my love for the zoom's (equally) sharp optics and micro contrast across its focal length(s) and aperture ranges.

The 11-23 is equally wonderful. These TL lenses are special, each in their own way.

I can't wait to try all these lenses on a TL2. The possibility to have faster and more precise AF is something that's tough for me to turn my back on... Also, having a higher usable ISO range will make that 18-56mm zoom (and the others) even more versatile and useful in lower light situations for many people.

All in all, my vacation experience helped me validate that the 18-56 zoom is a keeper for me. Your situation and ultimate requirements may be different of course. I hope this was nonetheless helpful to you.

Cheers

Edited by Guest