Anyone using Hasselblad V lenses on their SL?

geetee1972

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I read that Kipon had launched an adapter that enabled the use of Hasselblad V lenses on the SL whilst also maintaining the same field of view. Is anyone using one or any other adapter that enables Hasselblad V lenses to be used on the SL and if so what are your experiences? I regularly use a 501c/m (by far my favourite camera to shoot with) and I have the 80mm Plannar and the 120mm Makro-Plannar, the latter of which would become a rather useful 85mm on the SL.

I've seen the adapters listed and wondered about their use since I have 50, 80, 120 macro, and 150 mm lenses for my Hasselblad 500CM. 

I'm reluctant to buy an adapter, however, because I'm leery of the how the reduction optical set in the adapter might affect the performance of my lenses and also because the R lenses I've been using on the SL are a much better fit in size and ergonomics to the SL body than Hasselblad V system lenses. 

Do report on how well the system works if you acquire an adapter.. :)

I would have anticipated that the IQ would actually increase if anything. You're reducing the image circle, which would decrease the circles of confusion no? The ergonomics though are another matter entirely. I love the 120mm Makro-Planar but it would feel very large on the SL and that odd juncture step down would look and handle very oddly I imagine.

I would have anticipated that the IQ would actually increase if anything. You're reducing the image circle, which would decrease the circles of confusion no? The ergonomics though are another matter entirely. I love the 120mm Makro-Planar but it would feel very large on the SL and that odd juncture step down would look and handle very oddly I imagine.

I don't use the term "IQ" (image quality) because it is a nebulous concept. I use the term "performance" because it refers to specific, measurable qualities: resolution, contrast, spherical aberration, etc. 

Reducing the image circle implies putting the light passing through the lens through additional optical elements. I don't know what "circles of confusion" has to do with anything in this regard. No passage of light through optics is entirely lossless; the question is whether the losses incurred are significant to the performance of the lens in terms of how it affects resolution, contrast, spherical aberration, etc: "How well are the optics centered to the primary lens? How well corrected are they for aberrations? How good are their coatings ... how much additional flare might they induce?" 

Image quality is the sum total of a lens' performance tempered by a judgement of "how sharp do the images appear? how does the out-of-focus rendering (bokeh) look?" etc, plus "does the lens produce pleasing colors and is the combination of performance attributes creating a pleasing look?" These are not easily measurable things, and it is also quite possible that despite all the degradations in performance, the image quality remains lovely or is even enhanced... 

Which is why I'm reluctant to spend the money for an adapter, given that I have lenses I'm already quite pleased with regards their performance AND image quality on the SL. And never mind the ergonomic issues...  :)

Edited by ramarren
  • Thanks 1

I have the same two very nice Hassie lenses (80 and 120) and have wondered about their use on the SL, BUT...

The Kipon adapter introduces extra glass to reduce their actual focal length and preserve the field of view, which must cost something in resolution and character.

The Hasselblad lenses have a shutter incorporated.  Since I don't need flash synch at 1/500 sec, this is just a significant extra hassle.

so they will stay on the 500C/M.

scott 

• Like 2

I would appreciate if somebody can educate us here; I can't see a point in having focal length reducer to utilise medium format lens on full frame sensor as choice of equivalent FL lenses for full frame is enormous.  Unless there is change to F stop so for instance native 80mm F2.8 lens becomes F2 we still have loads of fast 50mm - 60mm lenses to choose from, not all of them mega expensive, some probably cost less than the adaptor.  

On the other hand using similar adopter on APS-C camera with full frame lenses makes some sense - full frame 50mm lens produces 50mm lens image on smaller sensor with added bonus of extra F stop. 

Edited by mmradman

I have the same two very nice Hassie lenses (80 and 120) and have wondered about their use on the SL, BUT...

The Kipon adapter introduces extra glass to reduce their actual focal length and preserve the field of view, which must cost something in resolution and character.

The Hasselblad lenses have a shutter incorporated.  Since I don't need flash synch at 1/500 sec, this is just a significant extra hassle.

so they will stay on the 500C/M.

scott 

Instead of a "reducing" adapter a shift adapter could be much more interesting.

By chance I found a way to achieve this with V lenses.

Fotodiox has a shift adapter Hassy V to EOS, and EOS to Leica T (or SL) adapters are easy to find.

The combination of both results in a shift adapter for legacy Hasselblad lenses (at a very reasonable price).

Shift is max 10mm in both directions and it does rotate 360 degrees. Better than nothing.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I have the V to S adapter already and I like using my 180 and 250 super combat lenses on my S. I also have the S to SL adapter so I guess I could stack the adapters and give it a go...............Unfortunatly I am currently in Nigeria so I wont be able to try that combo for another 3 plus weeks :( :(  

• 1 month later...

Yes, it works with a pair of cascaded S-Adapter L and S-Adapter V ...............

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/6/2017 at 10:03 AM, geetee1972 said:

I would not expect image quality increase from Kipon optics. In fact, I wouldn't expect it even from Leica optics or any other manufacturer for that matter. Every optical element added to a lens design introduces four reflective surfaces into the formula, not counting things happening due to optical properties of the glass used and aberrations of the added system.

The problem with this whole concept is that you don't end-up with optics that can't be matched by lighter and more ergonomic options.

For instance, take two of the most interesting Hasselblad V lenses: the 40/4 and 110/2.0. With a 0.7x converter, they become 28/2.8 and 80/1.4, respectively.

Who wants a 28/2.8 that weighs over 1kg?

The 110 could be interesting, but you've got lots of options for the SL that will be much lighter, and just as good optically. I am thinking of the M and R 75-80/1.4, and also Zeiss's 85/1.4, and Canon's 85/1.2.

The same logic applies to other V optics. The 180/4.0 becomes a 126/2.8. The 250/5.6 SA becomes a 175/4.0. Why bother when you can get Leica R equivalents for a song?

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 1/3/2019 at 11:27 PM, BernardC said:

The problem with this whole concept is that you don't end-up with optics that can't be matched by lighter and more ergonomic options.

For instance, take two of the most interesting Hasselblad V lenses: the 40/4 and 110/2.0. With a 0.7x converter, they become 28/2.8 and 80/1.4, respectively.

I think that this is an insightful comment if one is buying the lenses.  However, if there’s already a Planar 110mm f/2 lying around doing nothing, then adapting to gain an 80/1.4 on the SL2 seems like a good choice.

The economics come into play again immediately, though, once one realises that the adapter itself is a special order and costs USD$800!  That takes us straight back to your observation. 

• 1 month later...

I'm waiting for my S to L adapter as the SL2-S ability to use S lenses is what has prompted my change from Sony mirrorless.   Currently I'm using my M glass on the SL2-S but once the adapter comes I plan to use S and by double stacking the S to V adapter use my Hasselblad V lenses as well.  

• Like 1