Best place to get Leica UK

TheDrift-

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi first post

With the release of the M10 I was seriously tempted to ditch my DSLR and dive headlong into the Leica world.

After some thought I got the jitters and decided to keep most of my my DSLR stuff but sell on a few lenses I don't use often, together with an Olympus Pen F with a couple of Olly pro lenses, which should fund about half the cost of an M10 and 50 lux

I haven't used a rangefinder before (save for an Olympus 35RC film camera) so it's a bit of a step into the unknown..

Coming from the DSLR world it's a bit suprising to see how hard it can be to get lenses the 50 lux I want seems to be only in stock in a couple of places.

I also notice it now seems like hard work to get an M10 in the first place!

My budget will only stretch to the m10 and 50 lux so I am not keen to buy them seperatly as I would have no lens for my new Leica or no Leica for my new lens! I could maybe stretch for an extra lens if it's in the 4/500 region to see me through espically if it was a wider focal length? Any suggestions.

Ideally I would like a dealer who would trade in my gear against a new M10 and 50 lux..pref in the Lincs/yorks region of U.K.....I was looking at maybe Harrison's in Sheffield if anyone had any experience of them?

Also does anyone have any advice for those new to Leica (but not to photography) e.g. Any good books to read, any techniques to brush up on, or indeed any must have accessories?

Thanks

Edited by TheDrift-

I hope you know what you're getting into ....

I wouldn't be considering it lightly without having done extensive research on how it suits your personal photographic need.

Leaving the above aside, the M10 is so new, it is unlikely that you can walk in anywhere and just purchase it over the counter.

Given what I've been told and others here have said, I would expect general availability to be June/July before all the back orders are cleared.

That gives you plenty of time to order your lens along with your camera to have both available at the same time.

As for the dealer you mention, I've purchased from them in the past, lovely people. But I wonder if you'd be better off

selling your Pen F system privately (eBay or other photography forum) to maximise your return.

If I were in your situation, i.e. never having used a rangefinder before, I would seriously consider a lightly used M240 for €3000-€3500  & a 2nd hand Summilux 50mm f1.4 Asph for €2000-€2500 before I would even consider dropping €6500 & €3500 on a new system which may not even suit you. The financial loss on either system will be hugely different if it proves not to suit you .  

Harrison's have a decent reputation. Red Dot in London and Leica Mayfair have/should have a demo M10 but few elsewhere given the extended delivery times. The key thing about the M series is whether or not the rangefinder suits you, although the M10 has the live view/EVF options for focusing. I would look for a used lens in good condition as a sensible way, initially, to save costs (as Eoin advises – not so sure about s/h digital camera though).

Ideally I would like a dealer who would trade in my gear against a new M10 and 50 lux..pref in the Lincs/yorks region of U.K.....I was looking at maybe Harrison's in Sheffield if anyone had any experience of them?

Harrison Cameras in Sheffield are an excellent dealer with great staff that are knowledgeable and helpful, trade in values are always very fair.

I have an M10 on order with them, ordered at the launch on the 19th Jan. I was number 6 on the list then and now I am number 4 so things are moving slow.

Thanks I have had a couple of bad experiences of second hand lenses, which has put me off.  I don't mind buying a cheaper lens that I can afford to take a hit on 2nd hand, but I am not sure I would like to take a punt on the 50 lux...also used prices are not that different to new in the uk (3/400) certainly not enough to a saving to tempt me away from buying new.

I am also keeping most of my DSLR kit so will still have that on hand to cover any shortfalls from the Leica....but I am getting older and find myself leaving the DSLR at home more and more these days..

Good to hear about Harrisons they are probably my closest dealer :)

Edited by TheDrift-

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks I have had a couple of bad experiences of second hand lenses, which has put me off. I don't mind buying a cheaper lens that I can afford to take a hit on 2nd hand, but I am not sure I would like to take a punt on the 50 lux...also used prices are not that different to new in the uk (3/400) certainly not enough to a saving to tempt me away from buying new.

I am also keeping most of my DSLR kit so will still have that on hand to cover any shortfalls from the Leica....but I am getting older and find myself leaving the DSLR at home more and more these days..

Good to hear about Harrisons they are probably my closest dealer :)

Agree completely about second hand. Especially for first time range finder users. Leica RF products tend to have calibration problems after use. I would only get a camera that is calibrated and I would need to be sure by using visoflex and RF on a tripod at tge same object. If they're different, either it's the camera or the lens. Once you determine which, only get items that are properly in syncs with a calibrated RF. There's a good chance a used lens won't be.

I've sent back 4 of 6 lenses. Haven't received the 135 yet but the nocti, 90 and 35 are now perfect.

If you start with RF on a system not properly calibrated, you will get discouraged and give up.

I am really surprised at Cliff S warning, it would strike fear into any potential Leica user. :)

Agreed, usage of equipment over time will eventually require a return for calibration and at that time, it is best to have all (camera & lenses) calibrated together.

Heck, even a new in box Camera & new Lens can require recalibration to work optimally, so when you get yours (new) check it well before you leave the store!.

How's that for scare mongering  :p, I joke you not!.

Seriously though, 

Leica users, such as those found here in the forum tend to look after their equipment and know when something is out of whack.

That being said, a lightly used 1k-2k shutter count, camera of recent < 1year should not be in need of service.

Providing you have remaining factory warranty, you are covered.

Lenses give years of service before requiring a Clean, Lubrication & Adjustment (CLA). However it would be wise to test on the camera before purchasing.

I think your estimate of £300-£400 difference should be adjusted to £700-£800 for the lens you're talking about. Check Red Dot Camera's web page for new and used pricing.

Cliff is not very specific about why his lenses needed adjustment, but the Noctilux was renowned for needing both the Lens & Body to be calibrated together given the narrow depth of field.

Other lenses in the past such as the 35 Summilux Asph (pre FLE) also needed fine tuning depending on how the user like to shoot the lens (focus shift at various apertures at close distance), hence Leica improved the optics with the introduction of the newer 35 Summilux Asph FLE (floating lens element) to overcome the issue. 

My point is, there is value to be had either, new for peace of mind, or 2nd hand to evaluate if the Range Finder / Manual Focus system is for you.

But there is also expense incurred should you choose to upgrade or leave the system later, your buy in point will dictate how expensive that step ultimately is.

I hinted at that in the first line of my original reply  :D .

Thanks I can't see at this stage why I would not get on with a Leica...

I enjoy manual focus, I am very fond of the auto/manual focus on the pen f. You can auto focus and then as soon as you turn the focus ring on the lens the EVF goes to 10x mag (and you can add peaking too!). While slower than auto focus and no good for anything moving I love this mode, it's almost impossible not to be bang on focus. What I am not sold on is the IQ from the m4/3 system.

If Olympus made a smallish FF camera that would prob be a serious contender for me...but it's not going to happen anytime soon or at all!

From the DSLR side I upgraded last year and miss the simplicity of my older camera. All i really want I is aperture/shutter/ISO control. The DSLR is also pretty big and as I get older I leave it at home more and more..

...all I want I guess are manual controls full frame IQ and simplicity preferably in a smallish and lightweight package. So I can forget about the camera and just focus on the image..trying to get these features has led me to Leica!

Edited by TheDrift-

Thanks I can't see at this stage why I would not get on with a Leica...

...all I want I guess are manual controls full frame IQ and simplicity preferably in a smallish and lightweight package. So I can forget about the camera and just focus on the image..trying to get these features has led me to Leica!

Good news! The M10 was designed exactly for a photographer like you! Bad news is it is very expensive and (currently) hard to find. I'm going to go against the grain and not recommend you start with an older model. They all have their quirks. I think the M10 is the best digital rangefinder Leica has made so far. But it's going to be some time, maybe six months or more, until they are widely available.

Good news! The M10 was designed exactly for a photographer like you! Bad news is it is very expensive and (currently) hard to find. I'm going to go against the grain and not recommend you start with an older model. They all have their quirks. I think the M10 is the best digital rangefinder Leica has made so far. But it's going to be some time, maybe six months or more, until they are widely available.

That's exactly what I am hoping! Seems my best option is to sign up and get in line.

Just need to decide on any extras I was thinking definitely a couple of spare batteries, the Visoflex viewfinder..anything else worth considering?

I've bought Leica M items from Bass and Bligh in Harrogate and they were good to deal with. They were handy for having things that were hard to find elsewhere, presumably because they are less well known than the usual suspects.

Edit. Their website doesn't appear to work so I don't know if they are still trading or not?

Edited by wattsy

Well I have just put in a pre order with Harrison's for an m10 and 50 lux, the sticker shock is real!

Hopefully it will soon fade as I enjoy my new camera...now the wait begins...

Did they tell you how many were before you on the list (or give an ETA) and did you go for black or silver?

No, but TBF I didn't ask.

They were at pains to point out they didn't know when they were getting any, and their best guess was around 2 to 4 months for me, but said they could just as easily get a large delivery.

I chose black which they gave the impression was a more popular colour.

I also asked for a black 50 lux to go with it, not sure if this will help help or hinder me?

Highly recommend Red Dot Camera in London.

Ffordes is a great dealer.

I have noticed that Selfridges in London can be a good place to get a camera though the service is a bit cold. I did get my M246 there when it was released even though everywhere else had long waiting lists.

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats. When you say you got the 50 "lux", are you referring to the Summilux or Noctilux?

Note that I did not get my Noctilux calibrated to the M240. It's perfect. I think the calibration need is very rare. Don't think it's a necessity.

• Like 1

FWIW. Dealers who sell new Leica M gear supplied by Leica UK are all reputable - or Leica would not supply them. If you search through the posts on the forum you will quickly find out which people find most helpful.

Secondly, used Leica lenses are subject to two caveats. Firstly pre-digital era lenses were built for film not digital and their calibration may differ slightly and secondly (which ties in well with the first point) is that even superbly built, mechanical lenses need adjustment after years of usage or storage. We tend to forget just how old some immaculate looking lenses actually are, and if they are less than immaculate then they have probably seen a good amount of use. I would suggest that after 10 years or so it would be prudent to get a lens checked and, if then required, adjusted/serviced, but I doubt many do. 'If it ain't broke don't fix it' seems to be the prevailing attitude here and whilst I can fully accept and understand this, it doesn't mean to say that an older lens which is on the market may not be on the market for a good reason.

I've had my share of lenses which didn't focus as well as they should and the tight tolerances required by digital cameras certainly saw many having to sort errors out. It says something about the build quality of Leica lenses that they can be brought into tight enough tolerances to work with digital bodies. And all that said, I'd worry far more about other aspects of lens problems such as fungus, 'mistiness' (whatever the cause) and misalignment due to drops/knocks (which many not show easily until a lens is used) but buying from a reputable dealer with a decent warranty should give peace of mind over anything amiss  that's not immediately apparent.