Bizarre Problem with a DNG file from an M262

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anyone explain this totally bizarre problem which has now wasted me half an hour trying to resolve.

Yesterday, I was out taking photos.

When importing my files from the M262 memory card a SanDisk Extreme 32GB  one of the pictures appearing in thumbnail and in the editing screen is an image I took last October! 

It should not be there!

I have always had a habit of reformatting cards once everything has been downloaded thus this card will probably have been formatted around 10 times since it was bought last year when I bought the camera.

What is even more bizarre if I use the windows file browser and view an enlarged icon of the image file or use FastStone Image viewer the file shows up on screen as the image it should be - the one I took yesterday.

It will even open correctly into Photoshop Elements.

I have removed the wrong image from the Lightroom catalog and resynced but the erroneous image keeps coming back.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Thank you

John

I too have had a similar issue.

An import has a thumbnail that I shot months before and erased or formatted out. When I click on the "wrong placed" thumbnail the proper shot opens up.

I found this problem way over my head ....it doesn't happen a lot or enough to be a hindrance but it is down right weird.
But not so weird in the realm of computers.

I also don't think it's something I did or can control..... its just a glitch.

I use 240M-P  SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB  it happens in PS Bridge,  ACR and I think but not sure if it happens LR6.....I rarely use that

As I said, the photo is always there so I don't worry about it and its only  1 maybe 2 photos on a  4G shoot.

Also it only happens once in a while, so little that I cant run  or haven't tried to run an accurate test to recreate it.....and I'm not sure how I would

OK you techies whats going on ????

It is a Lightroom or maybe a DNG glitch, it has happened to me several times, but only with files from my M240. The workaround is simple,  just mark the image and choose to build a new preview for the image and the problem will be solved.

• Like 1

The camera is supposed to assign unique IDs to each frame. For some reasons only known to Leica, the M cameras assign ID which are not very unique. This must be a bug.

When importing images from the storage card or from the camera, LR acts as if the numbers were unique. On importing an image with an ID it has already encountered, it will assign the preview of the old image to the newly imported frame, thus causing much confusion. This must be a bug as well.

People familiar to LR have posted suggestions on how to deal with this compound bug. As I am not familiar with LR, I can't say whether the suggestions will work. Also, I can not found them ATM.

• Like 1

Pop's explanation is correct. Additionally, we should be aware that formatting the card will NOT erase the images. Sometimes, using a rescue tool, we can find images from a long time ago on a card that has been reformatted multiple times.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Expanding on jaap's post #5 - flash cards keep track of the pictures saved, with a file that is a "table of contents." It describes which memory addresses currently have pictures in them and should not be used for additional pictures. When you do a basic in-camera formatting, the only thing actually erased is that table of contents. The pictures can now be overwritten - but unless you fill up the card every time, overwriting every single 1 and 0, old pictures may survive, even through multiple formattings.

As to the original problem: in theory, if you open the .dng picture, and actually make some change to the image settings ("Exposure," or anything else) in the "Develop" module, and then save the .dng, that should update the thumbnail (overwrite the bad one) to reflect the actual picture.

But - in Adobe Camera Raw, that is an optional procedure that must be turned on in: Preferences > DNG File Handling > Update embedded JPEG previews > ON or OFF, "Medium" or "Large" thumbnails.

Check your LR preferences to see if you have the same option, and whether it is ON or OFF.

It happened to me today.

Downloaded the SD card to a Folder then Opened that  folder in PS Bridge.

75 shots only one incorrect thumbnail

Click on the "wrong thumbnail" and the correct photo opens in ACR

I was shooting both DNG and Jpg so the two photos were side by side in Bridge, the DNG showed the incorrect thumbnail.

....it isn't really a problem....but it is curious

Oh well pleased to see it isn't just me that has had this problem.

I actually have a file renaming scheme in which each file is renamed into a sequence ie L2017_#### so it isn't even the file name generated by the camera.

I eventually resolved the problem by dragging the offending dngimage off the card, manually renaming it rather than using FastStone's batch rename and resynced it in Lightroom and everything was fine!

John

You can avoid the problem by formatting the card in camera after each Lightroom import and ensuring you don't use the cards in different cameras.

No, you can't, as the problem is produced by a new image having an ID value in its EXIF data which is identical to the ID value of an image already in your image catalog.

No, you can't, as the problem is produced by a new image having an ID value in its EXIF data which is identical to the ID value of an image already in your image catalog.

No kidding ....so that's why its so random

• 6 months later...

I have this problem too but something far more serious happens to my DNGs where the basic image is there but all the colours are messed up as if looking at an ancient VHS tape that's been recorded over 1,000 times with super saturated colours.

I've copied a few here. The it first happened I reformatted the card. That didn't fix it so I tried a new card but it's still happening.

Anyone else seen this or had the same problem before?

Afraid I do not know the answer, but have never experienced the fault. I use Lexar Professional 16GB cards.

I wonder if the above pictures constitute a new art form?

Edited by wda
  • Like 1

Thanks anyway. I did a "Quick Look" of the DNGs in the finder (rather than using Lightroom/Photoshop) and they are the same. I'd guess it's probably every 20-30 images I get one but sometimes a couple in a row or 3/10. It's really annoying when I can just about make out an image that I might like but it's only good for the bin.

I've seen people trying to flog worse though so maybe I'll start my own gallery with these. 

I should probably get the camera back to Leica before the warranty runs out.

It is a Lightroom or maybe a DNG glitch, it has happened to me several times, but only with files from my M240. The workaround is simple,  just mark the image and choose to build a new preview for the image and the problem will be solved.

Going back to the original posters problem "Bizarre Problem with DNG file"

That the preview shows an incorrect preview. A preview from a different shoot, in my case.

I'm using Adobe Bridge ....What exactly is the fix? I'm not sure how to "build" a new preview in Bridge?

Can someone advise?....Is there a selection I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for the help

Additionally, we should be aware that formatting the card will NOT erase the images. Sometimes, using a rescue tool, we can find images from a long time ago on a card that has been reformatted multiple times.

That's why I use SDFormatter and often erase using the "Overwrite format" option. In that case no rescue tool may retrieve any of the previous pictures. I perform this only when sure that all the pictures on the card are downloaded on my computer and backup disk.

I should probably get the camera back to Leica before the warranty runs out.

If you have tried 2 different cards and its an intermittent problem then I would say that its worth contacting Leica and emailing them several of these images to see what they think. There have been a number of threads regarding corrupted images on the forum and most, from memory. have been down to the card but I don't recall seeing any like the ones you have posted. So its well worth getting Leica to check out what is going on.