M10 & HDR

Leicauser7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If one wanted to try and achieve an HDR effect from multiple captures using an M10, how might this be best accomplished? I would imagine through exposure bracketing and then some after-market software to operate on the raw captures? If so, can anyone share any experiences/recommendations along these lines?

Apologies for the basic nature of the question.

I've done it with the M240 and Adobe Lightroom, which has Panorama Merge and HDR Merge tools, creating a new DNG file - no problems at all. I assume the M10 would be exactly the same.

I have used it to even out very contrasty sunlit landscapes. I have never used HDR for the rather more surrealistic effects one can achieve.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Yes, same as with any other camera. Use exposure bracketing to capture the full dynamic range of the scene over multiple exposures, then use any one of a multitude of software programs to merge the separate photos into one high dynamic range image.

Edit: most good HDR merge programs can be used as a plug-in to Lightroom. There are several programs that are much better than photoshop for HDR, in my opinion. Photomatix Pro is very good, or if you are on a Mac, consider Aurora HDR Pro.

Edited by Dirk Mandeville

Thx. Should I expect to be able to take exposure bracketed shots for hdr hand held (for landscapes) or will I need a tripod?

I would certainly want a tripod for that type of shooting. You might be able to get away with handholding, but it is not something I would try.

So why does it work so well on an iPhone? I know, a really basic question?

Your question assumes it works well on an iPhone, which it really doesn't in my opinion. It all depends on the level of quality you are looking for in terms of sharpness, resolution, dynamic range, color depth, etc. Otherwise, guys like Trey Ratcliff and others would just use their iPhones instead of investing thousands of dollars in cameras, lenses, tripods, and computer hardware and software.

I've always done it hand held. You lose a bit at the edges of the merged image, because your hands aren't as rigid as a tripod, but Lightroom's HDR tool doesn't worry about images that don't exactly match - it lines them up itself.

Serious landscape photographers (I'm not one, I just take photos while out hiking etc) would tell you always to use a tripod for landscape shots, but HDR software doesn't need one.

Maybe handhold could work with M10 with 5i/s burst for HDR

Assuming the 5 images per second continuous speed works with auto-bracketing. I don't know whether or not it does. Regardless, my original advice holds true. You can get fine, usable results handheld (I have on many occasions). You will get better results consistently, using a tripod.

While you can't select them simultaneously, I can assure you that one press of the shutter button fires a quick burst of frames in bracket mode.

I just tried it on mine.