M8 shutter ate itself!!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not exactly certain about this, but I believe Canon lists the highest available shutter count rating at around 200K.

To the OP: I think you got good value!

Indeed.

https://petapixel.com/2012/12/22/look-up-your-cameras-lifespan-with-the-shutter-life-expectancy-database/

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/

Over 270 images a day, every day for 10 years.  It's hard to imagine 1 million shutter actions.

I was shooting on-set stills on feature films.  On a typical day i could shoot 500 images sometimes more,  working 7 days a week for months.   Iv had the camera since Dec 06. I've racked up a lot of clicks.  I realize that Ive got my money's worth out of this body. 

Edited by JohnnySeven
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

A used M8 in the german Ebay costs around 1600 Euro.

But .... if you let repair your M8 at Leica, it would be as new!

Heaven knows, what hidden problems a used M8 can have.

My Lux 35 needed a small repair last year. I ordered the coding too. Gone were 500 Euros, but the lens is as new.

If you would  buy a used one, your old one could deliver spare parts (sensor!).

Jan

Comes back with q year warrantee.   Also you now have a spare rear display .  A million is you got your moneys worth.

I think you owe it to your faithful companion to send it to Leica for the deluxe overhaul.  I spent just under $1K to have the top plate replaced and rangefinder repaired after a trip onto a hard tile floor.  That M8 is still in my closet, always ready and looking pretty.

Eric

^

Same here, LEDs failing, not reading SD cards properly, sent to Leica, two circuit boards replaced (and the hot shoe which was distorted after a much earlier tumble landing on the "thumbs up") back like new, no way could I leave the old girl sitting on a shelf non functional, she has served me well, owned from new, and is there for back-up and B/W. Cost as much as a "new" S/H model but is fully checked and aligned by Leica with a factory guarantee which the S/H would not be. Loyalty to mechanical inanimate objects is a curious human trait.

BTW to the OP, those blades you link to seem to lack the light meter stripe, fixable I'm sure but good luck.

• 3 weeks later...