Resizing Images with PSCC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For years I was happy using PSCS4 and finally upgraded to PSCC.  In the older version I could resize any image to whatever dimensions I wanted, for example, if I wanted to resize a portrait to that was 8X10 to a 2X2 for printing, I could do that no problem.  With the new version it will automatically resample the image, and won't give me the option to turn that feature off.  There has to be a way around this crappy improvement.  I called ADOBE PHOTOSHOP tech support, finally talking to someone with an Indian accent (who sounded very tired) who said someone would get back to me because he could not help me, and no one ever did, thank you Adobe.  Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

Not sure I understand.  By resize do you mean crop using the crop tool? Or resize using the Image Size tool under the Image pull down? The Image Size tool will not allow changing the ratio of the image.  To print an 8x10 as a 2x2 would require cropping the image using the crop tool to make it square.  I think that is the tool you want.  With the crop tool selected you can pick the ratio of the crop from the Ratio pull down or enter it manually in the two windows next to the ratio setting.

• Like 1

I also don't understand what you are trying to do.  The "Image Size" drop-down has a wealth of size / resolution / resampling options.  You can control resolution, turn resampling off or select something other than automatic resampling.  Depending on what you pick, the image will have to be resampled.  That is, unless you pick a resolution proportionately higher than the original.

Not sure I understand.  By resize do you mean crop using the crop tool? Or resize using the Image Size tool under the Image pull down? The Image Size tool will not allow changing the ratio of the image.  To print an 8x10 as a 2x2 would require cropping the image using the crop tool to make it square.  I think that is the tool you want.  With the crop tool selected you can pick the ratio of the crop from the Ratio pull down or enter it manually in the two windows next to the ratio setting.

I mean using the "Image Size tool" to change the ratio of the image.  In Photoshop CS4 you can change the ratio of the image, in this new version even when you uncheck the Resample box, it continues to resample the image, it won't allow you to change the size to whatever dimensions you want.  It makes no sense to me that Adobe eliminated this feature.  Cropping doesn't shrink the image or increase it to any arbitrary dimensions of your choosing.   If there is a way around this, I would like to hear about it.  

Thank you for your responses.   

I should add that when I use the Custom option, and try using my own arbitrary ratios for the image, it continues to resample.  I can't turn a 5X7 image into a 2X2...  This came in handy when doing my own passport pictures in the past.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I mean using the "Image Size tool" to change the ratio of the image.  

I believe that is not the tool you need.  The only way to change the ratio of an image is to discard (or interpolate new) pixels.  So to convert an 8x10  to a square ratio you would have to crop the image to 8x8.  Or use the content aware fill tool to add add pixels to the short side of the image. If the Image Size Tool allowed you to change the ratio without cropping it would have to squeeze the pixels in the long side of the image down to match the size of the short side - resulting in a distorted image. 

Edited by Luke_Miller

Luke:

All I can say is that it was a simple feature available on PSCS4, and now it's gone.  I suspect some Adobe genius somewhere didn't think it was useful.  It's frustrating when improvements go backwards.  I appreciate your effort in trying to help.

Edited by wilfredo

All I can say is that it was a simple feature available on PSCS4, and now it's gone. 

You may be correct.  I've used most versions of Photoshop, but don't remember that feature.  I do seem to remember that one used to be able to  "unlock" the height and width settings, so that they could be changed independently of each other.  I don't think I ever used that feature, that would change the image ratio, but without cropping it would introduce distortion.  Perhaps it performed an automatic crop to prevent that.  

• Like 1

You may be correct.  I've used most versions of Photoshop, but don't remember that feature.  I do seem to remember that one used to be able to  "unlock" the height and width settings, so that they could be changed independently of each other.

I use CS 5.1 2 which still allows us to resize to different aspect ratios, although I find no use for it. (It is under Image - Resize and unlock Constrain Proportions.)  Look at Wilfredo's avatar and it appears to me to have been resized in that manner which resulted in distortion. (No disrespect if the image is, in fact, accurate after all.)

pico-bad-aspect.jpg

Edited by pico

I use CS 5.1 2 which still allows us to resize to different aspect ratios, although I find no use for it. (It is under Image - Resize and unlock Constrain Proportions.)  Look at Wilfredo's avatar and it appears to me to have been resized in that manner which resulted in distortion. (No disrespect if the image is, in fact, accurate after all.)

pico-bad-aspect.jpg

I found it a useful feature when doing passport photos, and once in a while it can serve a creative purpose, so why eliminate it?  If it's not broken, why fix it?  Thankfully I still have PSCS4 on my Macbook if I still need to use this handy tool.  

We live in a world of constant upgrades, and I find the bulk of it, unnecessary, and primarily serves as a marketing tool.  It's a "Brave New World."  My thanks to all for the responses!