M10 can be used with SOMNI (50mm DR) full range

a.noctilux

Guest Nowhereman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes the best way to use DR in your M3/M6/M10 is finding one that fit the bill with M10.

Filing is quick and easy and mine which was filed still is fully usable on M-A/M6 as always.

Only 1/10 of mm in a corner of the "near" focussing ramp (not reducing it's thickness so no worry for near range use).

As I discovered with my many DR (one was already heavily modified for use with digital M before M10) :

This "corner" touch the bottom or not depending on tolerance of the focussing ramp in each Summicron DR.

So, does anyone how I can identify the "near focusing ramp"? I need to know in the next couple of days, as I have to return the lens to my find if I am not going to buy it?

Edited by Nowhereman

Soory, I don't have a photo to help you identify where to "gentle filing".

While waiting...

We can see how the DR operate, taken out of the M.

The SOMNI focussing ring can be pushed outward when in 1m focus, and pass to near range focussing from 90cm to 48cm.

So we can look at the rear of the DR, while the focus is at 1m , push the ring toward the aperture then turn to 0.9m setting.

Without the "goggle", the focus is blocking, that is normal.

Push the ball with left thumb while turning the focus to 0.8m or 32".

Then the near focus ramp "black/yellow" appear to be filed a very small bit at the corner 'beveled edge' in front of 0.8.

Filing only on chamfered edge of the ramp about 5mm around front of 0.8.

We have the "curved on the mount" there to make thing easier.

Then mount the DR on your M10, to try if it can go to infinity.

This tiny modification has no incidence on using the SOMNI with film M as the focussing plane of the near range is still there.

Have fun with your DR.

• 2 months later...

I just recently purchased a DR Summicron as I got fair price for one that was said to have some haze in the front (though I honestly can't see it and it focuses SOOOO smooth). It mounts up great on my M4 and M-A (as to be expected) but mine stops at 10m on the M10. I haven't looked to see what's catching internally but I don't want to force it either. 

Has anyone concluded what would need to be modified? I'm not afraid to do it myself but if it's something better left to a pro I am more than happy to contract the services of Don Goldberg.

Abram,

For use on M10, the small modifications don't interfer with using DR on film M.

msg-21145-0-52279900-1523918581.jpg

Rear view,

filing only the chamfered edge (in red here, thanks Mitch)

NOT the whole surface of the coupling close focus DR cam

Edited by a.noctilux

Thanks for the clarity. I'll decide whether or not I want to modify it eventually. I'm mostly shooting film so it's not a huge priority and I figure I'll eventually re-acquire a 50mm Summilux ASPH eventually anyways which will primarily be used on the M10 I imagine. 

Feels like it would be a shame to modify such a classic ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add to available information, my 50 DR (seriel number 159.....) is not happy on M10, feel quite some resistance at around 10ft, certainly would not like to force it and no need for me, the lens stays happily attached to the M3 its been paired with for 60 plus years.  As those reported that seem to be ok have seriel numbers 179....  and above, I wonder if something changed in the making of the lens.

• 5 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't want to open another thread for this idea that I've tried out, since long.

SOMNI which don't work with M10 can be used also at near range with SOMKY plus UOORF

This can be useful also if SDPOO/14002 adapter not available (very difficult to buy without the DR lens, it took me six months to have one "goggles alone")

different types of Summicron version I, here

Another way to use this nice 50mm Summicron lens on all Leica M is buying the Rigid Summicron and use it's optical head screwed on SOMKY plus UOORF

(in near range 1:7.5 to 1:15) maybe a typo in Wiki which has 1:5.5  in place of 1:7.5 engraved on Somky.

Way off of topic on this thread but I am amused to note that you too Arnaud have camera tape "arrows" on the shutter speed dials of your M's........... something I've done on all of mine from  the most recent M10-D back to the M8 I had years ago, ( actually it's even on the Q's shutter dial too ).

I cannot understand why Leica paints the "A" position in an almost invisible red paint, and yes I know about the indent obviously but a good visual clue would be handy to have as well. The red paint "A" is next to impossible to see quickly in marginal lighting conditions, and quite impossible at night, that's why my M's like yours have the tape "arrows" too!

I wonder how many other M users have resorted to the same.....

Peter, those "arrows" help me for long now.

The idea came when I used Leica R3 Mot, that "Automatic" on it's dial was there to be seen quickly.

To return to the topic, I'm very proud that I use now, more than past years, those Summicron DR.

Here, the blue subtle hues in this pictures I've not seen that many when I took the photo.

Halle d'exposition called "Salle Bleue", Palavas-les-Flots

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M10 with SOMNI at 200 ISO

Edited by a.noctilux

Happier yet to be able to snap,

without changing lens some near subjects,

like here minutes after the first picture of Halle

and those subtle hues of "brown" ☺️

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 1 month later...

On the other thread was how to file safely those 1/10 th of milimeter without metallic dust on the lens which can't reach infinity.

Simply unscrew the lens head and work on the rear mount carefully.

Turn the rear mount with the filing portion downward so the metallic dust falls down (on a piece of large tape to secure the filed dust ).

If done correctly, the "filed SOMNY/DR" can be used on every Leica M (film of course, not digital other than M10 family as before) full range with RF coupling.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 5:33 AM, a.noctilux said:

On the other thread was how to file safely those 1/10 th of milimeter without metallic dust on the lens which can't reach infinity.

Simply unscrew the lens head and work on the rear mount carefully.

Turn the rear mount with the filing portion downward so the metallic dust falls down (on a piece of large tape to secure the filed dust ).

If done correctly, the "filed SOMNY/DR" can be used on every Leica M (film of course, not digital other than M10 family as before) full range with RF coupling.

Thank you so much for this advice! I filed it down tonight and it now focusses to infinity on my M10-P.

• 1 year later...

I wanted to revive this topic if possible. I recently acquired a mint condition 50 Summicron DR from 1968 based on serial number. I am able to mount it on my M10 and it will turn but is very stiff but willl travel to somewhere between 10 meters and infinity on normal range if I move it very slowly. I was also able to mount the goggles and do close focusing through full range. My question is is there a way to distinguish between stiff focus caused by lack of use / the need for the grease to get worked around (the lens looks like it has never been used) versus inability due to machine tolerances. I don't want to modify the lens or damage my M10. Also, since the particular lens is in the serial number range (2279###) under the Summicron (II) Wiki link https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Summicron_(II)_f%3D_5_cm_1:2, can someone advise which model number that would be (11918?). Thank you.

• 3 months later...

Setuporg,  I believe DAG can handle it.  I would call Don first and ask him directly.  His number is on the web.  www. dagcamera.com  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

• Like 1

Guest Nowhereman

^ ^ The filing is so easily done, and so well illustrated by a.noctilux in post #44 above, that you can do it yourself. I didn't file but used a small, sharp chisel.

Edited by Nowhereman

9 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

^ ^ The filing is so easily done, and so well illustrated by a.noctilux in post #44 above, that you can do it yourself. I didn't file but used a small, sharp chisel.

So you file off 0.1mm along the red line in the photo?  It's a pretty long one, isn't it?  How do you ensure you keep it even?

The simple process I've done for my third Somni, years ago took a couple of minutes.

- unscrew the optical cell with the Somni mounted on the M10

- look at the problem to understand where to correct it

- on mine, just the border of the ramp touched at "10", so only there to work with "file/chisel/sharp knife"

- try and enjoy this nice Summicron at will

Important to know,

Remember to place the focus to about 1.5m before mount/unmount.

• 1 year later...