M10 can be used with SOMNI (50mm DR) full range

a.noctilux

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Chris, What are SOMNI and OUFRO an abbreviation of? Love the DR Cron on my M4, can't wait to try it on an M10! Do you always use the goggles on the M10, or just when you're going into macro focus? Thanks, Mitch

SOMNI is Summicron Dual Range (DR as in the title):

Wiki for more

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Summicron_(I)_f%3D_5_cm_1:2

OUFRO is M mount 10mm spacer (male to female M mount):

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/OUFRO

A.Noctilux covered SOMNI and OUFRO :)

re usage, I have found that the EVF works really well with the SOMNI in close focus mode.  In order to use the lens this way all you need to do is to press down the ball catch once you've set the lens to close focus mode.  Needs no force.  The lens re-locks if you move too close to the .9m mark. 

NB - in order to use the SOMNI in close focus you HAVE to either use the goggles or Live View / EVF.  The RF on its own isn't accurate in close focus mode.

Even my SOMNI (# 1 869 xxx) focus only pass 10 m on M 10, not to infinity. It is a pity.  :(

Heureka, I did it. My SOMNI too focus to infinity. I tried and tried, it was a little bit strong on the last 3 millimeters, but finally successful. I am very glad. Nice lens from the beginning sixties, very useful in long and short distances.

Ruby, so now your SOMNI focus to infinity on M10 :) .

Do you mean that each time focussing to infinity, those 3mm are strong or only once ?

I will try that to my second one, untill now I do not want to break something in M10 or the lens.

I am not quite sure, a.noctilux, but presently those 3 mm are more likely strong than only once, but I suppose it will be better the more the focusing will be used. There must be a very tiny barrier inside of the camera where the back of SOMNI touches if fully focussed to infinity. But it is marginal, and I do not believe that the camera or the lens will be seriously damaged. 

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've not had any chances recently for using the 50 DR but was out today and loved the flexibility it offered.  It also renders beautifully IMHO.  Some examples below.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

... and some 100% crops...

I used the goggles for focus (much easier somehow than the EVF).  The second shot could have been fractionally sharper, but there was a strong wind blowing, so I'm not complaining.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by chris_tribble

Even my SOMNI (# 1 869 xxx) focus only pass 10 m on M 10, not to infinity. It is a pity.  :(

Same here with mine #1 582 xxx .  There must be quite a bit of variation in the size/shape of the rear cams on these lenses.

My 50 DR SN 1468884 (from 1957, the second year of production) works fine on my M10, both with and without goggles in the two ranges. Strangely enough, my 50 DR did not work with an early set of goggles which came with it, but works fine with a later set which I subsequently acquired. According to van Hasbroeck, there was a change in the 50 DR at SN 2233899 when the closest focus distance was increased from 19 to 20 inches. My 50 DR does not work on the earlier digital Ms; I have tried it on M8, M9 and M240.  At 'normal' distances the image quality from the 50 DR matches that of my Rigid 50 Summicron.

William

Edited by willeica

I hope the eventual M11 follows suit - have been frustrated not being able to use the close range on M240, am holding out for a big sensor upgrade.  For macro I use a 'real' Visoflex, OUFRO or SOMKY M. 

No complaints

• 4 months later...

To mount SOMNI on M10 and other digital M, it's necessary to focus the lens before mounting to about 1.5m to 2m.

And nice thing when close focus range is used (remember to press down the ball catch on the top of the lens if the goggles not available, see post #22 Chris Tribble wrote )

then use EVF or LV to frame and focus :)  (usable also with M240 family with LV).

• 4 months later...
Guest Nowhereman

Although I have a DR Summicron whose cam was filed down to work with the M9 and MM, I have been trying out an un-modified one that a friend wants to sell. I was interested in buying it so that I could use it on the M10 and on the M3/M6 with goggles. Unfortunately, while this lens works well on the M10 with the goggles in the close range, in the normal range it cannot be focused at infinity. Too bad, because the lens is in excellent condition and I wanted to buy it. On the M3/M6 it does focus to infinity.

Has anyone found a solution for getting this lens to focus on the M10, while retaining it's ability to be used in the close range on film M-cameras?

[i apologize for double posting this in the other thread on this subject, but I'm trying to get a response in the next couple of days before I have to return the lens.]

Nowhereman, how much the gap DR to infinity on M10 ?

On one of mine, the gap in focussing ring was about 2mm, then I forced a bit to gain 1mm.

Then I saw that just filing a very small bit (1/10th mm the end of ramp in DR) infinity is attained easily.

Guest Nowhereman

a.noctilux - Thanks. The gap on mine is also about 2mm. Forcing it a bit it reduces it to about 1mm, but comes back to 2mm when I stop "pushing".

I wouldn't know where to file it down, and am also afraid that, after filing, I could have trouble using the lens on the M3 and the M6. Also, I would have to buy the lens before doing that. So, it looks like I have give up the idea of buying it, which is a shame considering its excellent condition.

Yes the best way to use DR in your M3/M6/M10 is finding one that fit the bill with M10.

Filing is quick and easy and mine which was filed still is fully usable on M-A/M6 as always.

Only 1/10 of mm in a corner of the "near" focussing ramp (not reducing it's thickness so no worry for near range use).

As I discovered with my many DR (one was already heavily modified for use with digital M before M10) :

This "corner" touch the bottom or not depending on tolerance of the focussing ramp in each Summicron DR.