50mm Summicron Type 2 - Rigid - Hood/Cap options

Guest )-(

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd like to get a hood for my 50mm Summicron f/2 Type 2 - Rigid. 

The obvious option seems to be the 12585 metal vented hood.

A few questions with this one:

Does the hood, which clips around the outside of the front (I think), interfere with filter use?

Is the hood a bit on the large side for what is a pleasantly small lens?

Is it possible to buy it with the cap that covers the reversed hood? Is it possible to buy that cap anywhere?

And that leads me to the alternative, the 12549/12550 Chrome/Black Elmar 50/2.8 39mm screw in hood.

This one /looks/ better to me but:

Is it effective enough as a hood for the Summicron Rigid?

Does it cause vignetting with a 39mm filter also in place?

What size is the front opening to allow a cap to also be used?

Or better yet - does the A42 slip on cap I already have fit right over it?

Thanks.

Thanks James, I appreciate the suggestion and hadn't seen those before.

Having had a look, I'm not so interested. More expensive than the original hood and no obvious way to use a lens cap which I like in case of burning the shutter cloth.

I know there are also the Heavystar hoods which look pretty much the same? 

If I step up filter size from 39mm to 46mm, I may as well use a 46mm screw on hood (which I already have.)

The 50/2.8 hood is the one I'm really after feedback on, since it's small and simple.

I don't care what the hood looks like, I'd rather spend the extra on a beret lol, only that it actually helps with flare (otherwise why bother) and isn't so large it inhibits the pocketability of the camera/lens.

And with the 12585, how it handles with a filter on the lens and if its' size is an issue.

I know this is an oft-repeated question (which hood with 50 Summicron), I just couldn't find anything definitive about 12549/12585 as per above. Thanks.

Edited by coogee

12585 hood is easy to install or reverse. Makes it convinient for transportation and filter change. The only problem was with aperture change and hood to close to the ring.

Elmar-m 50 2.8 with filter and its hood was not so compact and elegant, IMO.

Edited by Ko.Fe.

Does the hood, which clips around the outside of the front (I think), interfere with filter use?   No if the filter is Leitz/Leica narrower than most

Is the hood a bit on the large side for what is a pleasantly small lens?  See photo, but it's vented not to hide part in viewfinder

Is it possible to buy it with the cap that covers the reversed hood? Is it possible to buy that cap anywhere?  yes the cap is 14033

And that leads me to the alternative, the 12549/12550 Chrome/Black Elmar 50/2.8 39mm screw in hood.

This one /looks/ better to me but:

Is it effective enough as a hood for the Summicron Rigid?  For me it's small and short, but see below

Does it cause vignetting with a 39mm filter also in place?  Just try with UVa filter + 12550 + Rigid on M10 (LV) no vignetting from f/ 2 to 16

What size is the front opening to allow a cap to also be used? A42

Or better yet - does the A42 slip on cap I already have fit right over it?  try it  ;) 

Thanks.

At left SOMNI with 12585 and as alternativ solution 12524 (for Summicron 35mm), but it does rotate (not really useless/useful)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Does the hood, which clips around the outside of the front (I think), interfere with filter use?

Is the hood a bit on the large side for what is a pleasantly small lens?

Is it possible to buy it with the cap that covers the reversed hood? Is it possible to buy that cap anywhere?

Thanks.

For the 12585;

The clip-on hood does not interfere with 39mm filters.

The hood maybe is considered a little bit large, but the rigid needs as much flare protection as it can get. Also, since it is vented and can be rotated just right, one can easily see through the slot without a big impact to VF obscuration. I bought mine with the plastic cap, also one reason I went with this hood to be able to still protect the lens when it's in the bag. I did find a few places selling just the plastic cap on its own, but not too many. KEH i think had some for sure. Ebay as well. The other big reason I love this hood is that it can EASILY reverse on the lens to allow stowing the camera in a tight fitting bag. The plastic cap will still fit on there too, but will obviously stick out a little bit further due to the filter.

If cost or availability is a concern, and you dont mind plastic, they also make a 12538, but not sure if it has all the same features of the metal one I listed above.

Personally, if I can avoid it, I never use a thread on hood that engages with the filter threads. Just too much of a pain to deal with if you use filters and if it wont fit in your bag with the hood installed. Also, in their role to protect the lens, I've always felt some lenses actually become more succeptible to damage if one threads something protruding into filter threads, e.g. the summicron 28mm v1 with the 3 tiny screws that secure the front group to the focusing mount. The rigid is really beefy in comparison I think, so not too much of a worry there, imo.

Edited by pechelman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I purchased a replacement 12585 H, from http://setadelstudios.com, for my 'Rigid'. I always have the hood on the lens (which is why it needed replacement after a few decades of use!). I lost the plastic cap  many years ago, it does not matter since that cap seems to have been designed to fall off just about every time you put it on. I find that leaving the hood on provides ample protection to the filter or the front element when in a camera bag or in a jacket pocket. The hood does not interfere with Leica filters. On occasion, I have fitted a non-Leica filter, which is wider than Leica filter into the hood where it was held quite nicely by friction.

Jean-Michel

Yes 12585 or 12585H hoods are the way to go. Never lost a hood cap in 30+ years but it's just me. The hood can be reversed for transportation which is very handy with on w/o the cap on. Better keep the cap on though unless you're using protecting filters but even then i'd advise to get one personally. It is just a hood cap though, not a lens cap so if you don't use the hood cap you will need a separate lens cap. No problem with Leica or B+W filters as they don't protrude outside the barrel of the lens so they don't get in the way of the hood which clips on outside the barrel.  

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Having been tempted by the Elmar hood, I will go with the 12585 after all.

I thought the clip mechanism might get in the way with a filter but I'm reassured it won't.

Yes, agree on the 12585 as the best option.

Just wanted to mention that the 12585H while the same size etc, is made of plastic and when pressing on the tabs to release it flexes,  and is harder to unlock than the all metal 12585.

Used to drive me crazy, so no more 12585H for me....YMMV 

Edited by 4X5B&W

Just wanted to mention that the 12585H while the same size etc, is made of plastic and when pressing on the tabs to release it flexes,  and is harder to unlock than the all metal 12585.

Mine 12585 and 12585H are metal made.

I don't know why "H" because they are same hood.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/12585

an discussion here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/241082-12585-vs-12585h/

In plastic, maybe you mean 12538 for Summicron from Canada (that is nice though) ?

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/12538

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

Not sure what the difference between the two are – I can't find any –, but my defunct 12585 and new 12585H are both made of metal.

• 1 month later...

Thirsty Von Overlord's hoods look nice though I've never seen one in the flesh im sure they are a quality product. I've been tempted to buy one and help finance his jet-set global citizen hipster lifestyle.  But i'd rather use a Leica hood and finance my own jet-set hipster global citizen lifestyle. Its very hard and expensive to be so well appointed, well traveled and hip. But im trying...

I don't believe anyone has mentioned it, so I will.  Yes, the 12585 is a little wide; this is so that it is usable with some/most 35mm wide angles. It works fine with my 35mm Cron ASPH but vignettes (predictably) with the 28mm Elmarit ASPH.  When using the lens cap (that never falls off) on the reversed 12585 one gets into the habit of pre-selecting an F: stop that is likely to be useful when there isn't  time to un-reverse the hood. Regards, Ron

Edited by Ronazle

I've had both hoods. The only difference between the two is 14585H has 35/2 on it and 14585 doesn't. Otherwise they are identical. I think the plastic one that 4X5B&W mentions as flexing is 12538.

Edited by plaidshirts

I've had both hoods. The only difference between the two is 14585H has 35/2 on it and 14585 doesn't. Otherwise they are identical. I think the plastic one that 4X5B&W mentions as flexing is 12538.

You mean 12585 & 12585H i guess. The plastic hood is indeed 12538 and was sold with the 50/2 v4 when i bought mine in the eighties. Now to confuse the matter a bit more, some 12585 hoods do have 35/2 on them. Don't ask me why but i have one of them and it looks identical to my other 12585 & 12585H copies. Both great hoods for 50/2 non apo, 50/2.8, 35/2, 35/2 asph v1 and 35/2.8 lenses. 50/3.5 & 35/3.5 as well but i have no experience with those lenses.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct