R Lens Module System

Silver Fresco

It's a great system, but in my opinion I is not worth the risk anymore buying one except it its DEAD cheap.

The system CANNOT be repaired anymore, and most batteries need repacking (which you need to find out yourself because Leica doesn't do this anymore...)

It's a 1.36 x crop factor...

ISO is only usable from 100-400 and mine used to hang and lag (I would set ISO from 100 to 200 or 400 and it would expose at those shutter speeds but the sensor would actually be working at ISO 100 for example)

the files are great albeit only 10 megapixels... 

Also modern SD cards won't work, you need OLD  sd cards that are maximum 2 GB. 

Hi Jip,

I believe that the OP was referring to the modular LENS system--or, at least that is what the heading indicates. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on this, never having used it. I'm sure some can. Where is WildLight?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions about this. Have come across a complete Module system and wondering if it is worth the money (certainly not as much as when it was first released

If you can get it for 1 €, get it!  If you have to pay more than 100.000 € : You will get it cheaper on eBay! This is the adequate answer to your unprecise question.

What for you need it and how much?

I have the 2,8/400 Module, with a perfect matching 1,4X + 2x Apo-Extender (the better Module system!).

If you need a manual tele lens system for max. focal length and speed at distances from 3 - 30m on a APS-C or bigger sensor, probably the best in the world.

If you just want own it and impress you friends: Get it! It is very rare and the most beautiful in the world!

Last year (2016) I have asked at Leica in Wetzlar about a statement, that the Module system suffers from problems with plastic parts and possibly can not be repaired any more.

I was told, that isn't true, only the old 2.8/280mm has that problem!

• 6 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you can get it for 1 €, get it!  If you have to pay more than 100.000 € : You will get it cheaper on eBay! This is the adequate answer to your unprecise question.

What for you need it and how much?

I have the 2,8/400 Module, with a perfect matching 1,4X + 2x Apo-Extender (the better Module system!).

If you need a manual tele lens system for max. focal length and speed at distances from 3 - 30m on a APS-C or bigger sensor, probably the best in the world.

If you just want own it and impress you friends: Get it! It is very rare and the most beautiful in the world!

Last year (2016) I have asked at Leica in Wetzlar about a statement, that the Module system suffers from problems with plastic parts and possibly can not be repaired any more.

I was told, that isn't true, only the old 2.8/280mm has that problem!

Well, some parts of the Apo-Telyt-R modul are no longer available, I dropped my R800/5.6 and the handle was bent and was sent to Leica for repair, although the lens was repaired but they cannot supply replacement of the handle as well as the filter drawer anymore

It's a great system, but in my opinion I is not worth the risk anymore buying one except it its DEAD cheap.

The system CANNOT be repaired anymore, and most batteries need repacking (which you need to find out yourself because Leica doesn't do this anymore...)

It's a 1.36 x crop factor...

ISO is only usable from 100-400 and mine used to hang and lag (I would set ISO from 100 to 200 or 400 and it would expose at those shutter speeds but the sensor would actually be working at ISO 100 for example)

the files are great albeit only 10 megapixels... 

Also modern SD cards won't work, you need OLD  sd cards that are maximum 2 GB. 

If you are talking about DMR Batteries, Leica recommends a battery reconditioning firm (i forget which)