Deciding on the first 50mm Leica Lens

leicatech

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My only issue w the retractable hood is that I've always though it should have a twist and lock feature.

I liked the square hood on my 50 2.5 Summarit, partially for the autos aesthetics, partly for the protection it offered to the front element. I suppose getting a filter might help for the second point. Mine is quite stiff when in place, I've heard some retract quite easily but a twist to lock might be good.

www.robertpoolephotography.com

• Like 1

The 50 cron is large enough that focusing w the ring alone isn't an inconvenience. It does, however, leave you sort of blind as to the position of the focus ring. With a ring you can sort of intuit zone focusing by the position of the tab. Without a tab, I've learned to always park the lens at infinity and then move it from there. If I place my finger on the same spot when focused at infinity I can intuit 15, 10, and 5 feet distances at f/8.

Thanks for the advice I'll try it.

www.robertpoolephotography.com

• Like 1

My feeling with the retractable lens hood is that it is just too small, particularly if you have a filter fitted. For black and white film during the winter, I have a yellow filter fitted most of the time to bring out detail on flat skies. With a filter fitted, that is when you really need an effective hood to prevent ghost pale grey filter circle images. You can see below with the filter on a 11619 LTM series V Summicron, how little shade it gives. I often take the e39 ventilated hood off my 40 Summicron-C (fitting with a series 5.5 to e39 adapter ring on that lens),  to use on the 11619 when I am using a filter. 

Wilson

Excellent point that I hadn't taught of.

Congrats on your M240.  A nice, clean used 50 will be an excellent place to start, and may be all you need.

You mention you have difficulty finding one locally.  Where is locally?  With a digital body, you can test a lens on the spot if you can see it in person.

I think you may be over-budgeting a bit for the Summicron.  I have a v4 that is a little stiff on the focus, but only paid $750.  I think $1000 should buy you a serviceable example.

As for ebay, my rating is 325, and I have had exactly two lens issues, the first was a 90/2.8 with flaws that showed up when converted to 6-bit, and the second was a 35/2.8 that was mis-represented as the v2 when it was a v1.  I also found a 90/2.0 in a store and put it on my digital body only to find it way out of focus due to internal damage.  Generally, Leica lenses are pretty robust items, and with the ebay return policy, you should be O.K. there.  You will likely be even better off buying off the Buy & Sell at the top of this page.

So, back to the question, where is "locally"?

Happy hunting.