Bargin M8!

M8K3T

Have fun with your new M8.  Welcome to the Forum, we look forward to your involvement.

A great camera, congratulations.

Some of the Canon ltm lenses are very good...just need an ltm to M mount adapter. The 50mm f1.8 is a beauty.

I have a first edition screw mount 50mm Summicron; had it CLA'd...it's really very good.

The wide angle Voigtlanders work very well too...particularly the first edition Voigtlander 15mm f4...with range focusing only.

These are budget lenses which perform well...just to get you going.

Don't forget to get some UV/IR filters for good colour balance.

Just managed to pick up a pretty mint condition M8 for just under £700! On it at the moment I have the very cheap Jupiter 8 lens, so was looking for recommendations for my first lens :)

Out of interest, how did you manage that! market price on ebay for good one is around  £1000, ps I have both a 39mm and 46mm UV IR filter if needed and a Voigtlanders 35mm f2.5 available if interested. pm me.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome on the forum :). Depends on your favorite focal length. If you prefer 50mm on FF cameras you need a 35mm lens. For GBP 800 (EUR 940, USD 990) you can find a mint Summarit 35/2.5. Great lens on the M8. But if you prefer 35mm on FF cameras, the Elmarit 28/2.8 asph advised by our friends above would be the best solution or, if you don't find one within your budget, an Elmarit 28/2.8 pre-asph like this one (not mine) would be perfect:

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a used M8 for £500 (UK) last year off the other forum classifieds - came with a leather half case.  Coffee stained (or beauty marked) - hence the price, but not an issue for me.  Takes the same pictures and the screen is not much use anyway for detail.  No dead pixels at all ISO's which would be my main concern.  Re-mapping at Wetzler (from experience) is about £100 on a four week turnaround.

James

Pretty rare to find one in a dealer nowadays.  Quick look on the bay the few available are not going cheap.

Not bad for a camera of its age with (perhaps unfairly) such a poor reputation.  It would be interesting to see how the prices of cameras of a similar age have held up particularly in proportion to their original retail price.

James

Depreciation is worst given the high initial cost. I say not much different in terms of percentage, but this might change in the next 10 years :)

In 2006

Leica M8     - New $5,500 - now $1200 = Retained 12% original price 

Nikon D300 - New $1,800 - now $300 = Retained 17% original price 

Pretty rare to find one in a dealer nowadays.  Quick look on the bay the few available are not going cheap.

Not bad for a camera of its age with (perhaps unfairly) such a poor reputation.  It would be interesting to see how the prices of cameras of a similar age have held up particularly in proportion to their original retail price.

James

Depreciation is worst given the high initial cost. I say not much different in terms of percentage, but this might change in the next 10 years :)

In 2006

Leica M8     - New $5,500 - now $1200 = Retained 12% original price 

Nikon D300 - New $1,800 - now $300 = Retained 17% original price 

Something wrong with your math here. I believe 1200 is about 22% of 5,500. It think though that the percentages are irrelevant when we talk about cameras. I don't look at my cameras as an investment (I'm not a professional photographer). So the question for me is more like what do I prefer: spending 450 dollars per year for the M8 or 150 per year for the D300. The cost for the M8 will be lower per year if you keep it longer that 10 years. I have no idea how long the D300 will last.

Edited by jchfriis

Why poor reputation? Hard to find such a nice IQ at any price. 

Try a Kodak DCS14N or DCS ProN if you want high image quality at a really low price (build quality not in the M8's league of course). The Kodak's menu interface does make Sony's A7 series look simple though, and mine is extraordinarily quirky but delivers beautiful images in good light and ones which are, like the M8's, extraordinarilty crisp and detailed.