Tips & Tricks wanted for 21mm LUX ASPH shooting

M10Alpine

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear all,

I have got myself a 21mm Summilux ASPH. I know a number of series VIII filters exists and I wanted to know what more experienced users think of the various filter options. 

- I also very much appreciate tips and tricks for making amazing pictures. DOF and all you can think of.  

I have been through a number of comparison threads on the 21mm vs xx etc. 

Thanks in advance

David

Hello David: I use my 21 Summilux with a UV filter to protect that big front element. I also have the 82mm adapter for polarizer filter, but usually get in trouble when I use that filter if any blue sky is in the picture (weird density gradations), but fine to increase color saturation if no sky. Also have orange and yellow series 8 filters when I use the lens on my monochrome. I don't need to use my neutral density filter anymore when on my SL with the high shutter speed when wide open in sun (to separate elements). Not as sharp as 21SEM when closed down, but more than adequate for sure for most uses. Plenty of resources on use (mainly framing) of very wide lenses (can't call a 21 ultra wide anymore with 12 to 18 commonly available now!). The large DOF is certainly handy for street photography and zone focusing allows unobtrusive (relatively) and quick use.

Have fun with your great lens!

• Like 1

I agree that one should use a filter to protect the front element.  B+W were apparently discontinuing production of Series 8 filters a while ago but you should be able to pick one up (they made both multicoated and non MC) if you look around the dealers, or check with B+W, or at an unreasonable price on eBay. I have both UV (MC) and ND filters.

Using the lens wide open in bright light may be a no-go without an ND filter if you want reduced DOF photos.

Are you using an external EVF or external OVF? If the latter then get the Leica metal OVF - expensive, albeit not compared to the cost of the lens, but has advantages over the beautiful Zeiss OVF. Please see our first two posts here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/167741-which-21mm-finder-a-comparison/.

Be aware of significant distortion of people anywhere need the periphery of the image.  

Straight lines (horizontal and vertical) are easily distorted and hard to correct in PP so where it's appropriate for the image make sure the camera is level.  

Try to get some subject matter into the close foreground as there's a lot of space to fill - get in close to the subject.

This lens is also fabulous for low light indoors photography.  Sort of like a WA Noctilux, only a stop slower but being so wide it can be hand held at much lower shutter speeds.

...and be aware that after you have used this lens for a little while, and learned to love 21mm the focal length, you will want a smaller and lighter lens for daytime use and you will then cough up the money for a complimentary 3.4/21 SEM (3.4 is not slow for most daytime use).

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree that one should use a filter to protect the front element.  B+W were apparently discontinuing production of Series 8 filters a while ago but you should be able to pick one up (they made both multicoated and non MC) if you look around the dealers, or check with B+W, or at an unreasonable price on eBay. I have both UV (MC) and ND filters.

Using the lens wide open in bright light may be a no-go without an ND filter if you want reduced DOF photos.

Are you using an external EVF or external OVF? If the latter then get the Leica metal OVF - expensive, albeit not compared to the cost of the lens, but has advantages over the beautiful Zeiss OVF. Please see our first two posts here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/167741-which-21mm-finder-a-comparison/.

Be aware of significant distortion of people anywhere need the periphery of the image.  

Straight lines (horizontal and vertical) are easily distorted and hard to correct in PP so where it's appropriate for the image make sure the camera is level.  

Try to get some subject matter into the close foreground as there's a lot of space to fill - get in close to the subject.

This lens is also fabulous for low light indoors photography.  Sort of like a WA Noctilux, only a stop slower but being so wide it can be hand held at much lower shutter speeds.

...and be aware that after you have used this lens for a little while, and learned to love 21mm the focal length, you will want a smaller and lighter lens for daytime use and you will then cough up the money for a complimentary 3.4/21 SEM (3.4 is not slow for most daytime use).

I don't use a external OVF or EVF, I use the Live View on the M10. 

Thanks for the good advice. 

• Like 1

Hello David: I use my 21 Summilux with a UV filter to protect that big front element. I also have the 82mm adapter for polarizer filter, but usually get in trouble when I use that filter if any blue sky is in the picture (weird density gradations), but fine to increase color saturation if no sky. Also have orange and yellow series 8 filters when I use the lens on my monochrome. I don't need to use my neutral density filter anymore when on my SL with the high shutter speed when wide open in sun (to separate elements). Not as sharp as 21SEM when closed down, but more than adequate for sure for most uses. Plenty of resources on use (mainly framing) of very wide lenses (can't call a 21 ultra wide anymore with 12 to 18 commonly available now!). The large DOF is certainly handy for street photography and zone focusing allows unobtrusive (relatively) and quick use.

Have fun with your great lens!

Have you tried any ND filter if so from who and what kind?

ps thanks for your pointers.

I have a serie VIII B&W UV filter but I get the feeling its some how not that great. Pictures come out with a roundish upper shape. I don't seam able to post pics in this thread.

Try again or read the posting pics FAQ section or ask a Mod.

A filter should not cause what I think you're describing. I've certainly had no problems with IQ degredation or image distortion from my B+W filters.

Mark

• Like 1

I recently purchased a 21mm Summilux lens. I have only just started to experiment working with it and am considering some ND Filters for it.

My Question is regarding the Series VIII Filter system. Is there any advantage to the Series VIII system vs. an adapter that would allow 82mm Filters to be installed on the front of the hood?

I do Not currently own any Series VIII or 82 mm filters so I would have to purchase either system, although the purchase of the Adapter Ring would be a small extra expense vs. just series VIII filters,

so I thought to ask if anyone has experience with either system on their 21mm Lux and might feel either has any advantage over the other?

I have got myself a 21mm Summilux ASPH. I know a number of series VIII filters exists and I wanted to know what more experienced users think of the various filter options. 

A tip: remember that color-contrast filters for black and white work only when there are colors in the scene. For example, a red filter will not make a sky dark unless it is blue! Color contrast is just that. Also red usually increases contrast.

Similarly, a polarizing filter won't do anything, even in color, unless the scene has polarized light, and even then it won't reduce reflections on, for example, steel although it can do funky things with some paints and waxes.

Enjoy the exploration.

• Like 1

For my filter use, I patched a E82 Leica filter adapter with a black adhesive foam and attached it to a Lee filter adapter.  Here is a picture of the lens with a Lee filter holder.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Have you tried any ND filter if so from who and what kind?

ps thanks for your pointers.

I have a B+W series 8 103 ND 0.9 -3BL 8x MRC ND filter for my 21. I have used it in the past with my 240 and 246, but now use the 21 mostly with my SL and find the ND filter not needed with the very fast 1/16,000 sec shutter speed. I use the 82 adapter with the B+W KSM HTC-POL MRC nano filter as I need access to the filter for rotation (and its light loss allows wide open 1.4 pics with the SL in very bright scenes w/o needing the ND filter). I also recently got a new B+W series 8  022 yellow filter and a used Leitz series 8 orange filter for use with my 246. These filters were not that hard to locate (the Or was the hardest to find; haven't found a green filter yet, but least used filter for me and I seldom use red). I do not change the filters often when outdoors, unless in a very controlled situation to keep the filter from sliding off the lens when I remove the lens shade or contacting the front element. I leave the yellow on with the 246 normally, and only use orange infrequently. Use the pol more often for landscaping otherwise (only if no blue sky in scene; get odd tone transitions in sky with very wide angle lenses, but does increase color saturation). UV always on otherwise. If you use the 82mm adapter for all filters, the front element is always exposed to dust/moisture thru the ventilation holes, plus it is very large. Bottom line, probably good to have the 8x ND with a 240 in case it is needed, and use the UV otherwise (if 246/M9M, then fun with color filters also).

Regards,

Bob

• Like 2