Wish list for future S

ZHNL

Just in case Leica is checking...

50mp bare minimum, but ideally 60 or more megapixels. I make big prints on a regular basis, and the extra resolution helps, and the lenses can tolerate it. It's been at 37mp for 3 generations...something like 7 or 8 years, so time for an upgrade. As far as I am concerned, this is required by the market, unless they do something crazy with it (like turn it into a MF A7SII...making super clean high ISO and incredible video). 

Keep the optical viewfinder...perhaps enable an EVF for people who really need it, but really, the SL is the camera for EVF...the S is a DSLR.

I would prefer that they focus on image quality and color fidelity at base ISO...higher ISO's are nice, but the S is largely about quality, and I would assume that most people are either using a tripod or lighting in situations where the light is low. By all means, give us a good high ISO, but please spend most of the time working on making it top of class in color and performance at base ISO. Longer exposures at base ISO would also be great...at least 5 or 10 minutes, ideally more. 

Improved 4k video or even higher. Focus on highest quality of the signal, and allow for 10bit external recording. Add an audio jack that does not require a separate adapter. Full frame would be ideal, but likely impractical, but perhaps give us an option to choose between full frame pixel binned and a smaller crop. Since the sensor is so big, perhaps they can enable some sort of live downsampling from 6 or 8K? 8K is 33mp. Again, this is wishful thinking, but might as well write about it!

They can't please everyone, so I hope that they focus on image quality, seeing as this is their top of the line camera, designed to provide the highest quality in an all around useful package. Don't reinvent the wheel, just take what is great about the cameras you have already made, but update the resolution and image quality to the best current options, and add as much else as is possible without losing sight of the user experience and quality.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the things on my mind:

• 40-50MP
  • more price competitive, $17K won't fly anymore when Hasselblad and Fuji have gotten their act together
  • EVF 
  • more focus points
  • a handful of optically excellent, slightly slower and lightweight lenses

I am a bit scared to see how many people expect a mirrorless S system soon.

If it means that we're expecting a new series of lenses, instead of the current line, then I am going to be very disappointed. Not only a new expensive system is expected, the new lenses mean that the current S-lenses could be used, theoretically, with the adapters, and they will be less weatherproof.

And the Leica S optical viewfinder is the best among the medium format cameras of today.

Edited by ynp
  • Like 3

I am a bit scared to see how many people expect a mirrorless S system soon.

If it means that we're expecting a new series of lenses, instead of the current line, then I am going to be very disappointed. Not only a new expensive system is expected, the new lenses mean that the current S-lenses could be used, theoretically, with the adapters, and they will be less weatherproof.

And the Leica S optical viewfinder is the best among the medium format cameras of today.

Does it? The S could either be the same size just with an EVF (weight savings and EVF advantages) OR an SL style body with and adaptor for the current lenses OR an SL style body with a protruding lens mount.

Depending on the tolerances of an adapter how much compromise would there be to weatherproofing?

My personal preference would be the same body but with an EVF. Personally I don't think the S is a particularly big camera although shaving a few grams would be nice, as would a few zooms and some f4.5 primes that are smaller and lighter. The current S body handles well.

Would like a flippy screen though.

Gordon

• Like 1

Does it? The S could either be the same size just with an EVF (weight savings and EVF advantages) OR an SL style body with and adaptor for the current lenses OR an SL style body with a protruding lens mount.

Depending on the tolerances of an adapter how much compromise would there be to weatherproofing?

My personal preference would be the same body but with an EVF. Personally I don't think the S is a particularly big camera although shaving a few grams would be nice, as would a few zooms and some f4.5 primes that are smaller and lighter. The current S body handles well.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Thank you very much for your detailed comments. I take your point.

I just hope that there's no new S-mount. And I wonder if the SL mount is wide enough for the S-sized sensor?

Yevgeny

Personally I hope not. I have tried to like EVF's but I just don't. I actually really quite dislike them.

We are organic sensory beings and the thought of using something that is electronic and not a direct refection of reality, and therefore delayed, I just find a disconnect. I don't want to look at a tv screen, it's jarring as hell to me. I don't want all that automation, focus peaking, live preview, that I think homogenises photography, and data all over the place like I'm looking through the eyes of terminator. Sometimes I think if I didn't have to even look through a camera I wouldn't. This is partly still why I have such an interest in medium format film cameras too. The viewfinder on an RZ is incredible, it is enormous and a wonderful experience to use. Actually I would say the Hasselblad H has the best finder of any camera I have used. If you like OVF's check it out. It's huge and I have no idea how they got it so bright, given how different it is to the V.

Maybe I could change my mind if I really had to, but I just don't think an EVF adds anything for me, instead it takes away from the experience.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Now that Nikon has introduced a camera with carbon-fiber in the body (D7500), I would like to see something similar in a new S - very rigid but lighter.

Agree with Stuart, 50 - 60 mp, keep the OVF. I suppose mirrorless would be nice, but it seems that today mirrorless equates to an EVF - yuck!

As to lenses, need a long zoom or just a longer prime than 180.

Edited by Photoskeptic

I'd be more than happy with an OVF and a clip on EVF with super high resolution but......

With an OVF and mirror there's no way you can make the body light enough to compete with the Fuji/blad. You can't have off the sensor focusing or metering. Focusing on the entire sensor area. Live histograms. etc....

And they cost a bomb to make.....

If Leica wanted to make a $10-12K S, it would have to be mirrorless. If Leica make a $10-12K S that takes those lenses it'll be a hit for sure.

Gordon

• Like 2

I'd be more than happy with an OVF and a clip on EVF with super high resolution but......

With an OVF and mirror there's no way you can make the body light enough to compete with the Fuji/blad. You can't have off the sensor focusing or metering. Focusing on the entire sensor area. Live histograms. etc....

And they cost a bomb to make.....

If Leica wanted to make a $10-12K S, it would have to be mirrorless. If Leica make a $10-12K S that takes those lenses it'll be a hit for sure.

Gordon

Well, a mirrorless S would finally explain the SL naming....S-Lite.

In that case, would be nice if the SL zooms (with OIS) could be adapted to the S (assuming enough coverage). Otherwise, maybe some better zooms for the S, with OIS if that wouldn't add too much bulk/ weight.

Jeff

• Like 1

Gordon

EVF is not just a feature, it's a necessity if you take out the mirror box making it a short flange camera.... They could sell the camera with an adaptor attached for people who still want to use the S lengths. my wish list is a flange length of less than 20mm for the future mirrorless S. So that i is even more versatile than the Fujifilm, then the new S has a strong point. If not, using the same flange distance, then this is a system that is quite closed....