Wish list for future S

ZHNL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, All, 

S forum is almost dead now. It was dominated by complain S and complain about complain S :D

Let's cheer up a little. 

What is your wish list for future S?

Mine:

Must have:

1. 50+ M sensor

2. No limit for long time exposure. 

3. No mandatory noise reduction. 

4. EFC electronic shutter

5. Mirror or no Mirror. I enjoy the bright view finder at the same time I welcome reduced weight and size if that can make S more competitive to compete with X1D and Fuji 50S: smaller and cheaper 

6. Sensor, TBH, since it will be CMOS anyway, I wish they can simply use Sony sensor which will simply resolve my wish lists of 1~4

Nice to have:

1. Improve AF reliability (not just address AF fail but AF accuracy over all distance and condition)

2. adding more AF point (three cross type with smaller AF point would be enough)

3.maybe more cron type lens like a 60mm cron? 

4.minimal/no shutter delay or mirror blank out. 

Michael

• Like 3

Leica, please, do not announce and then wait almost a year before actual availability, as you did with S007 (photokina 2014 - Aug 2015). Instead, announce/release as you just did with the M10 - with availability upon announcement..... oh, and call it the S3. Let's drop the three digit suffix numbering here too.

60+ sensor

improved low light performance and increased DR by at least a couple of stops?

mirrorless like the SL to keep cost/weight down, with same or better EVF?

USB-C  connectivity!

Use same batteries - they're great already.

How's that?

Edited by rsmphoto
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As I use the S system nearly entirely for studio fashion/beauty, I would love to see a zoom in the range 45 -135. Make slower to be smaller, that would be fine.

For the body, I could wish for a couple more spot AF options if still an OVF

And since I see that Gordon is ordering stuff for an SL2 as well, I'll take a 35-105 for that too, hopefully weighing less than a young elephant.

Edited by hoppyman
  • Like 3

- Serious long exposure capability (up to 30 min at least, 60 min better);

- 50+ Mp;

- Serious long exposure capability (up to 30 min at least, 60 min better).

Other than that, I like it as it is.

EVF? Perhaps, but you'll still have to have a body as deep as it is today, so I don't really see the point; however, I'll take it. Would be great to have a hybrid viewfinder, OVF with superimposed horizon, grid.

I don't care much about turning LENR off, but I understand it would be a useful feature for someone; perhaps you could have 3 level of LENR, short - more noise; medium - medium noise; long - no noise.

More focusing points would be good to have, even if for my work I don't really need them.

Oh, did I mention serious long exposure capability (up to 30 min at least, 60 min better)?

Best,

Vieri

• Like 5

I don't care much about turning LENR off, but I understand it would be a useful feature for someone; perhaps you could have 3 level of LENR, short - more noise; medium - medium noise; long - no noise.

Assume you get your long exposure capability for next S, with each 30mins + exposure, you have to wait another 30m min for the mandatory noise reduction. I can imagine how landscape photographer feel at sunset/sunrise during those short golden hour moment. This is especially a problem for seascape photo that timing is important. 

I would be a happy camper with this:

no time limitation for long exposure 

50-60Mp sensor

Greater dynamic range

50 ISO 

a T/S wide angle lens

Now, if I was truly dreaming about the new S, I'd like a concept similar to the digital back for the R system where every 3 years I can just update the sensor / processor and keep the rest like most of the other medium format cameras with a digital back. That would be interesting. 

• Like 3

• 60-80MP (Leica have always argued that the reason why pixel count hasn't gone up is because it would have to be double to make a difference so it better be after such a long wait!)

Better high ISO.

OVF.

70mm Summicron or even Summilux

70-180 zoom (The Phase One 75-150 is very useful)

developed 4K video

• Like 2

A 1.4x Apo Teleconverter with tripod foot for the 180mm lens.

A roadmap from Leica (vague is ok) for the S system.  

+1 Vieri Long Exposure request.  

50MP sensor minimal, 60MP ideal with wide dynamic range and good separation of highlights.  

If only one of these were done I would be happy, two ecstatic, three would be more than my heart could handle.   

Edited by darylgo
  • Like 2

wish list?

1. 50~60mp, sensor pitch will be much smaller than the 6micron... maybe 5-ish like or even smaller like the IQ3 100mp.

2. New Mirror-less lens... so we can escape the horrid S AF mechanism. Also by doing new lens you have incentive to sell lens and make money and therefore more likely to start a system. For the S owner, it should come standard with an S adaptor. (hmmm then this camera won't be an S). 

3. Don't mind CDAF as it's more accurate, but nice to have a choice of PDAF and CDAF combination.

4. Tab Focus on screen.

5. Long Exposure as most have wanted, with the ability to turn off NR. But 1hr exposure with no NR is quite an adventure.

6. More zoom lens in the long focal length. 

7. I prefer OVF, but appreciate EVF for its versatility and absolute accuracy in focus assistance... well, if I want Mirrorless, then it's EVF...

8. Please remove movie recording function.... it's kind of stupid...

• Like 1

Assume you get your long exposure capability for next S, with each 30mins + exposure, you have to wait another 30m min for the mandatory noise reduction. I can imagine how landscape photographer feel at sunset/sunrise during those short golden hour moment. This is especially a problem for seascape photo that timing is important. 

I am a landscape photographer, and would not do a 30 minute exposure during the "short golden hour moment" anyway, because the light changes so quickly that it wouldn't make much sense. Plus, a 30+ minute exposure without NR wouldn't look too great, I am afraid. To me, the utility of turning NR off is exactly for the opposite situations, exposure-length wise: if I had it, I'd use it for 2-5 minutes exposures, exactly during the golden hour when you don't have time to loose and for exposures of 2-5 minutes where noise is not as problematic.

Best,

Vieri

For me the issue with LENR is exposure stacking, stitching and star trail blending.

While I'm at it.... When I said SL I meant a mirrorless S with EVF, 30 minute exposure etc but with a 50MP+ S sensor. If it's thinner great. An adaptor ring to allow normal S lenses to be used is a doodle but it must still support CS lenses. And add to my list a set of super high quality f4 primes and a couple of Summiluxes.

Gordon

• Like 1

EVF? Perhaps, but you'll still have to have a body as deep as it is today, so I don't really see the point; however, I'll take it. Would be great to have a hybrid viewfinder, OVF with superimposed horizon, grid.

EVF's are about more than size:

- Live exposure preview.

- weight savings.

- Live histogram.

- Cheaper to produce.

- Allows EFC shutter.

- No mirror slap.

- focus directly off sensor for accuracy.

- focus anywhere on the sensor area.

- artificial horizon.

- focus peaking.

- improved video funcionality (not important to me but to some who need to pull focus etc..)

- other stuff I forgot.

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography
  • Like 2

EVF's are about more than size:

- Live exposure preview.

- weight savings.

- Live histogram.

- Cheaper to produce.

- Allows EFC shutter.

- No mirror slap.

- focus directly off sensor for accuracy.

- focus anywhere on the sensor area.

- artificial horizon.

- focus peaking.

- improved video funcionality (not important to me but to some who need to pull focus etc..)

- other stuff I forgot.

Gordon

very nice!

Other than a generational improvement in the sensor tech (which we would get anyway), I want the next S to be compatible with the same tiltable Visoflex viewfinder as the M10, and to have a bigger/faster buffer.

What I do not want is for Leica to mess-up the S. I do not want 35 AF points in the viewfinder, along with a grid overlay and Snapchat filters. Keep the viewfinder clear, it's why people buy the S in the first place.

On the marketing side of things, they need to work on the price. The medium format market has changed since the S2 was introduced.

• Like 1

What I want:

1. Better 4K as mentioned

2. More lenses. Where is the long ago shown 350mm? Admittedly the ability to use other manufacturer's lenses is an alternative.

3. An external EVF would be nice like the M10 and TL, In the interim, I use my iPhone as an external EVR if I need one.

What I don't want:

1. I do not want to leave OVF ever.

Leaving the optical viewfinder is like leaving rangefinders on an M. I am buying a camera for it's viewing system.

If I want mirrorless, I will go Leica SL. Folks, this is Leica's only DSLR. Yes it costs more than simple mirrorless, just like a rangefinder costs more than simple mirrorless. There will be a time when OVF is fully appreciated. I do now, the S viewfinder is a pleasure to use.

The use of mirrorless makes sense only if you were starting from scratch on lenses that were matched to size. And seeing how slowly the SL is adding lenses suggests it is slow not fast.

2. Megapixels is a marketing and bragging game. Yes I would like to say I have more pixels than you, but I do not need 80-100. That might attract me into the system, but it is not enough to upgrade the camera. I regularly do enlargements of 45"x30". More pixels only allows me to crop further.

3. Long exposure? Yes for star trails. But I don't do them.

What I expect:

I expect little refinements that are merely upgrades the don't necessarily entice current users to upgrade, but entice new users to purchase. That suggests 80 m pixels  will be necessary. The 007 gave live view, video, and higher iso and DR as  big changes vs 006. I do not expect that many changes for the 008 other than resolution. And I expect they will take their time delivering that. Meanwhile, send more lenses, and a super-wide tilt shift would be appreciated along with the 350mm.

• Like 2