M10: sell or keep the M246

thomi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M10 is not a MM but has a very good sensor. Should I sell the M246 and use the M10 for monochrome too?

I tested the two bodies with the same APO Summicron 50.

ISO 25k

F4

Shutter speed calculated for the M10: 1/350

Shutter speed calculated for the M246: 1/750 (because there is no Bayer Filter)

I could use half the ISO with the M246 to get the same shutter speed as with the M10.

Check the comparison: left picture M10 converted in Lightroom to monochrome; right picture M246

My Conclusion

The M10 is outstanding. Much better than the M240 at high ISO.

The M246 remains the reference for monochrome.

Assuming you can afford to keep both, my suggestion is to wait 3 months and reevaluate. By then the "newness" of the M10 would have worn of and the 2 cameras are on equal footing.

The differences between the 2 cameras is not image quality, it's about mindset.

I have an M240 and M246. the camera I take with me depends on wether I'm visualizing in black and white or color.

Edited by Kwesi

(from a hardcore M246 user, so take it with a grain of NaCl...)

The M246 still kills it compared to any camera of equal resolution that is native color. It will always have a minimum 20% resolution advantage (and on some colors of subjects up to 50%) due to the lack of Bayer interpolation, it will have a 2-stop advantage in effective speed because color filters take out a lot of light, and even if a 24mp color camera could theoretically defeat the noise that will always be coming in through the blue channel indoors, it will never be as sharp. So if your measure is ultimate performance, it is no contest (and will not be until Leica goes to 36mp or greater color sensors, which doesn't appear to be anytime soon). 

What you can do with contrast filters with a mono M is more effective than using channel mixing, and the M246 is and will be the only camera to shoot monochrome video natively. And if you do landscapes, the 3D spirit level is invaluable. Did that firmware update for the M10 ever come out?

Dante

• Like 1

What you can do with contrast filters with a mono M is more effective than using channel mixing....

Not for me....color channel flexibility (including potentially simultaneous channels) is one of the key benefits of my using the M240 (soon to be M10). Plus, unlike mono, it's never too late to experiment. But both cameras are fully capable of great images.... in the right hands.

Jeff

Not for me....color channel flexibility (including potentially simultaneous channels) is one of the key benefits of my using the M240 (soon to be M10). Plus, unlike mono, it's never too late to experiment. But both cameras are fully capable of great images.... in the right hands.

Jeff

Shooting with a Monochrom is an absolute commitment to B&W and not deciding if an image should be color or B&W after that fact.   I'm not trying to say or imply there is a right or wrong here, just that Monochrom is fundamentally a different capture approach.  Using color filters categorically changes the spectrum presented to and captured by the sensor.  Mimicking that result in post is not easy, and frankly, I'd say impossible.  It's along the same lines of trying to mimic an IR image from a normal (unmodified) color camera.

Dante touched up on this in his post above.  For example, a red filter will make a sunny day sky look dark and clouds will really pop against the dark sky.  Highlights are still nice and bright.  With a color image I have to pull down a channel or two and maybe that sort of mimics the dark sky look to a degree.  Usually the highlights have to be pulled way back as well to get the blue sky darker, but now ALL the highlights are pulled back the image looks kind of mushy with just alot of mid tones.  Highlights are diminished.

When I first got the M-246, I took 100's and 100's of images with the M-P 240 and M-246 and tried to make the M-P shots match the M-246.  It was much harder than I expected, and when red filters entered the equation, I couldn't match the "look".

The Monochromes are very niche cameras and probably 99.9998% of the world couldn't care less.  But if you're that .0002%, the Monochrom is a very addictive camera.  I really look forward to a M10 based Monochrom with its much better EVF and EVF functionality.  I was pretty excited to get a M10, but I've been rethinking things lately and considering whether the M-246 + SL is a better combo (for what I shoot, etc, etc., etc....)

I hope someday we see a M where we can toggle the bayer filter on & off and use the same camera for color and true monochrome.  Then we won't have to decide if this or that is better.

The monochrome is noticeably sharper and also a stop faster. Would be interesting to see what they do next with the platform. Given the additional light throughout they could go to 36MP and still have a usable ISO. That would give equivalent sharpness to a 72MP colour sensor... That's insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Shooting with a Monochrom is an absolute commitment to B&W and not deciding if an image should be color or B&W after that fact. I'm not trying to say or imply there is a right or wrong here, just that Monochrom is fundamentally a different capture approach. Using color filters categorically changes the spectrum presented to and captured by the sensor. Mimicking that result in post is not easy, and frankly, I'd say impossible. It's along the same lines of trying to mimic an IR image from a normal (unmodified) color camera.

Dante touched up on this in his post above. For example, a red filter will make a sunny day sky look dark and clouds will really pop against the dark sky. Highlights are still nice and bright. With a color image I have to pull down a channel or two and maybe that sort of mimics the dark sky look to a degree. Usually the highlights have to be pulled way back as well to get the blue sky darker, but now ALL the highlights are pulled back the image looks kind of mushy with just alot of mid tones. Highlights are diminished.

When I first got the M-246, I took 100's and 100's of images with the M-P 240 and M-246 and tried to make the M-P shots match the M-246. It was much harder than I expected, and when red filters entered the equation, I couldn't match the "look".

The Monochromes are very niche cameras and probably 99.9998% of the world couldn't care less. But if you're that .0002%, the Monochrom is a very addictive camera. I really look forward to a M10 based Monochrom with its much better EVF and EVF functionality. I was pretty excited to get a M10, but I've been rethinking things lately and considering whether the M-246 + SL is a better combo (for what I shoot, etc, etc., etc....)

I hope someday we see a M where we can toggle the bayer filter on & off and use the same camera for color and true monochrome. Then we won't have to decide if this or that is better.

I built 4 different b/w darkrooms and shot almost exclusively b/w for 35 years. My shooting discipline carried over when I switched to digital in 2009, despite adding some color work to my print output. A recent tally showed that I still shoot about the same amount per outing as in my film days. And I always commit to either b/w or color at time of shooting, not in post.

For me, discipline comes from me, not from my camera....although I understand that a monochrome camera creates a special commitment for owners. I've never lost my bond with b/w, nor my ability to interpret a scene. I'm glad, though, that Leica provides some wonderful options....viva la choice.

There is no question in my mind that digital PP provides far more flexibility and efficiency than in my darkroom days. Using color channels is only one of countless means to realize the potential for marvelous prints. After 8 years I'm now able to achieve print results that can be displayed alongside my silver prints. Some of this comes from improvements in PP tools and materials (including editing software, printers, papers, inks, etc), and a lot from my own learning and enhanced techniques. But as always, the best tools are between the ears. YMMV.

Jeff