Latest thinking on SD cards and M9

antigallican

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Form what I have read elsewhere over the past few days, the speed seems actually to be irrelevant. Obviously, the M9 cannot write at the speed of the new cards, it will write at the maximum speed it is capable of, irrelevant of the capabilities of the card. The capacity of the card seems to be somewhat more relevant. I have recently read of people working with 128GB cards @ 95MB/s nominal speed. I'm really not interested in that amount of capacity. I have more than enough with a 16GB card.

However, if someone is interested in the larger capacities it, what is much more relevant is the formatting of the card. The newer SDXC cards can be used as long as they are formatted as SDCH. This is done by formatting them on your computer in FAT32.

Anyway, enough boring rant. I got a 16GB card with a nominal speed of 90MB/s, and a write speed of 40MB/s. I was afraid at one point that the M9 compatible cards would no longer be available and wanted to stock up.  

• Like 1

The 'upgrading' of the sensor was all about the cover glass. I think most of us keep our firmware up to date, and the last FW  release was only to include two new lenses. Like you I have M10 and M9, and they are chalk and cheese electronically and offer quite different photographic experiences. I still love the M9, but it is what it is.

Love the "chalk and cheese"!

OK, here is my current understanding, after testing my just-arrived M9 and with thanks to Ian for his comments above. The key is SDCH. The M9 does not recognize SDXC cards - you get a message so stating. Slap in a SDCH card and all is well. According to my M9, I have well over 800 images with a 32MB SanDisk Ultra SDCH card.

The misunderstanding with card size and speed is simply due to the fact that SDXC is required to get over 32MB, and to get fast - primarily for video (ugh) and for action sports with cameras like the Nikon D5 (been there.) Yes you can format a 128MB SDXC card to SDHC, but you would wind up with a 32MB card, which kind of defeats the purpose. I just bought 2 more 32MB SDHC cards and I will keep them separate for my M9. Which I seem to like, BTW.

• Like 2

Yes you can format a 128MB SDXC card to SDHC, but you would wind up with a 32MB card, which kind of defeats the purpose. I just bought 2 more 32MB SDHC cards and I will keep them separate for my M9. Which I seem to like, BTW.

Have tried this? I haven't tried yet but I have read reports (over on the French Leica forum summilux.net) of people formatting 64GB (and possibly 128GB, I don't recall exactly) and obtaining the full capacity. They key is to format the card on your computer using FAT32. So, do not format in camera. I don't have a high capacity SDXC card handy right now but one of these days I'll give it a test. But TBH, I would probably never use such high capacity cards in the M9.

Update: I've just checked back on summilux.net and a person there is using a 128GB 95MB/s nominal speed SCXC on his MM1... with the full 128GB available.

Edited by ianman

Of course there is no video on the M9! My error here. 

No error Raid, just some fun, note the wink emoji.

You don't have the video button?

Is it in one of the hidden menus perhaps?

A little on-topic.

On the early Phase One backs P20 etc the CF Cards were like the M9 small capacity and slow. As faster, larger, cards emerged Phase One stated they would work but the circuits would not recognise them properly and they would fall back to the slowest write speed, below that of the faster slow cards if that makes sense. Given the backs were on MF bodies speed of writing was never really an issue as the faster studio shooters were tethered.

Given this I suspect the M9 may well accept faster cards but not utilise the speed available, it is the read off the cards that may well see an improvement.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi,

(New sensor id:15 + latest FW + original battery).

Old Transcend class 6 16gb SDHC that came with camera works super for me no banding.

SANDISK Sdhc Extreme 32Gb 90Mb/S Cause annoying banding at times otherwise great.

Now getting 32GB Sandisk Ultra SDHC UHS-I 48 MB/s (Article number: SDSDUNB-032G-GN3IN) on a leicastore recommendation. 

If that doesn't get rid of banding, I'll try one of https://pct1.sandisk.com/ProductList.aspx?DeviceID=17389

(^ Formally recommended M9 cards from Sandisk)

Probably will go for a 16-32gb 45mb/s not the 64gb 80mb/s on that list or try to find another old transcend.

8 hours ago, LEICAKS said:

Hi,

(New sensor id:15 + latest FW + original battery).

Old Transcend class 6 16gb SDHC that came with camera works super for me no banding.

SANDISK Sdhc Extreme 32Gb 90Mb/S Cause annoying banding at times otherwise great.

Now getting 32GB Sandisk Ultra SDHC UHS-I 48 MB/s (Article number: SDSDUNB-032G-GN3IN) on a leicastore recommendation. 

If that doesn't get rid of banding, I'll try one of https://pct1.sandisk.com/ProductList.aspx?DeviceID=17389

(^ Formally recommended M9 cards from Sandisk)

Probably will go for a 16-32gb 45mb/s not the 64gb 80mb/s on that list or try to find another old transcend.

I use 16gb 45mbs Sandisk Extreme, no issues.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Topsy said:

I use 16gb 45mbs Sandisk Extreme, no issues.

Yes, it's 4 years since I first asked this question and all that time I've used these too, with no problems at all. Like you, I bought a few in case they dropped off the market.  My next anxiety is batteries for the same reason.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, antigallican said:

Yes, it's 4 years since I first asked this question and all that time I've used these too, with no problems at all. Like you, I bought a few in case they dropped off the market.  My next anxiety is batteries for the same reason.

Great that this thread keeps delivering for us new owners of the fantastic M9!

Consensus probably that the SanDisk sanctioned list of 45 & 80mb/s options are a safe bet in 2021 most things considered.

On 8/13/2021 at 3:43 PM, ianman said:

I’ve just looked and have a 32GB 80mb/s Sandisk Ultra in mine. Never seen any banding with any card, but they are usually Sandisk of one type or another.

I found this card Sandisk Ultra 16gb 80mb/s as the closest match and ordered. The 45mb/s variety seem harder to find. Thanks for all the input.

• Like 1

Interesting to repot that, due to the availability around my area, I only manage to get a Lexar micro sd 633x and use with the standard SD adapter.

With my previous M9 (with old sensor), I've never seen a single image with banding, though I was using the IS0640 technique to shoot. It did however give me the middle sensor line if I push low light files hard.

With my current M9 with new sensor, I do get banding every now and then, mostly low light and mostly shadow (which can get very nasty with night sky). I experienced only once that the camera almost failed to record image - colors were faded and lots of color noise. I guess one has to find the right card for your M9 which may or may not work with other M9.

Off to hunt down an older sandisk card someday.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Casey Jefferson said:

Interesting to repot that, due to the availability around my area, I only manage to get a Lexar micro sd 633x and use with the standard SD adapter.

With my previous M9 (with old sensor), I've never seen a single image with banding, though I was using the IS0640 technique to shoot. It did however give me the middle sensor line if I push low light files hard.

With my current M9 with new sensor, I do get banding every now and then, mostly low light and mostly shadow (which can get very nasty with night sky). I experienced only once that the camera almost failed to record image - colors were faded and lots of color noise. I guess one has to find the right card for your M9 which may or may not work with other M9.

Off to hunt down an older sandisk card someday.

+1, same with me regarding the new sensor. As always, you always somehow find a way round (all part of the fun, eh).

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Alright, I tested a ton of SANDISK cards now. I don't see any SPEED benefits from smaller cards (4gb, 8gb or 16gb) vs my 32gb UHS-ii 300mb/s sandisk.

But is the banding still an issue with fast cards? I don't see it, but maybe im looking the wrong places.