Latest thinking on SD cards and M9

antigallican

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Any advice on using a Sandisc 32GB 95MB/s on an M9-P or MM1?

(I won't try it in my M6 - thanks JohnnySeven!)

attachicon.gifIMG_0193.jpg

I tried a similar Sandisc 32gb 95m/s on M9, and found that high iso banding in the shadows tended to appear a bit more frequently compared to the 45mb/s card.

• Like 1

There's been a lot of discussion on the forum about M9 SD cards and card problems over the years. I think the general conclusion has been that the M9 doesn't benefit from the higher speeds of newer cards and may actually work better with smaller and slower cards. I have been using a number of Sandisk Ultra 30Mbps 8GB and 16GB cards on my M9 for many years with very few problems. In fact, the 8GB cards seem to be faster than the 16GB ones, at least on fw 1.176 (not the latest one).

For those who use older cameras,  buy a lifetime supply of smaller cards as they are no longer easy to get.   I wanted to get some cards for a Nikon D3 which they recommended a certain size card.   Needing cards for D800  I bought some for each, Lexars, and not high speed ones.  For grins I tried the 64 GB in the D3 and they simply do not work.   Put in the biggest recommended ones and they are fine.  The 64 GB work in D800 just fine.

May I suggest you look up in the manual the largest size recommended and get them while you can.  I did.

For what it`s worth,  I buy quality cards and back up ones when I get a new camera and they remain dedicated for life of camera.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for that! I'm guessing that any camera will need a custom micro-controller interface to write to the card. They sure aren't going to rely upon a missing lock tab. :) (Those locking tabs have no connection inside the cards; they must be recognized by the camera's firmware.)

I had a lot of problems with SD cards and the M9 with pattern noise and banding.

Then I discovered Transcend 32GB Class 10 and all my problems vanished.

That is the only card I could personally recommend but I'm sure there are others.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

I tried a similar Sandisc 32gb 95m/s on M9, and found that high iso banding in the shadows tended to appear a bit more frequently compared to the 45mb/s card.

Thank you - might need to stock up in some older cards. Do they still deteriorate if you don’t use them (and should I therefore keep them in the fridge like film)?

got a pic for the Sony card

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1