Latest thinking on SD cards and M9

antigallican

Advertisement (gone after registration)

images of possible cards discussed in this thread ...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Others may disagree but I've come to the conclusion I really don't think the M9 is fast enough for these differences to matter. I have a mixture - usually use extreme but I seem to have no problems with generic cards.

Others may disagree but I've come to the conclusion I really don't think the M9 is fast enough for these differences to matter. I have a mixture - usually use extreme but I seem to have no problems with generic cards.

you'd be surprised, many cards will not allow you to shoot through a 7 frame uncompressed DNG burst cycle ... they get the hickups at frame two

Hi Go FIgure,

Yes I was surprised. I have a variety of 16 Gb cards collected over the years and it performs the same (poorly, frankly) with all. I don't mind - rapid fire photography isn't what I bought it for.

at RUS & diddus

could you guys pls verify your information,

I have a feeling there might be a mix up?

Sandisk Ultra = 40mb/s

and

Sandisk Extreme = 45mb/s

so which ocard are you guys talking about ... an yes an image of the card would indeed clarify it for all of us here - thx ! ... Go Figure

I have been using the Sandisk Extreme 45mb/s card without a problem.

But mine is black-and-red in colour.

Sorry for the mix up.

90400-L-LO.jpg

Edited by Rus
  • Like 1

After using my 16Gb Sandisk SD-card on my M10, my M9 didn’t recognize it anymore. I did something on my iMac with it in terms of clearing titles, not formatting. My M9 didn’t accept this either. When I loaded it into my SL, she asked if I wanted to format. I said, yes I’d love it if you format me; it’s an EXTREME btw. After that the M9 recognized the card again and I put my 32Gb SD-card in the SL.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After using my 16Gb Sandisk SD-card on my M10, my M9 didn’t recognize it anymore. I did something on my iMac with it in terms of clearing titles, not formatting. My M9 didn’t accept this either. When I loaded it into my SL, she asked if I wanted to format. I said, yes I’d love it if you format me; it’s an EXTREME btw. After that the M9 recognized the card again and I put my 32Gb SD-card in the SL.

true Leica magic

• Like 2

I wait until a card is nearly full, and then I download all images to an external drive and to the computer. Then I format the card in the camera. I may have 20 cards in a small case that I take with me in the camera bag.

Thank you Raid.

there seems to be this debate regarding best practice.

A. deleting of files in camera - without subsequent formatting in camera

B. deleting of files in camera + with subsequent formatting in camera

C. Formatting in camera only

D. Formatting in SD Formatter

Thank you Raid.

there seems to be this debate regarding best practice.

A. deleting of files in camera - without subsequent formatting in camera

B. deleting of files in camera + with subsequent formatting in camera

C. Formatting in camera only

D. Formatting in SD Formatter

There seem to exist different opinions on what to do as best practice for cards. I picked one method, and it works for me very well since many years. I format cards with the camera that will be using that card. I use the M8 to format cards that will be used in the M8, say.

Edited by Raid Amin
  • Like 1

I've always thought that the best thing to do was to transfer images then format the card in camera. I'd be interested to hear the reason for @Pico's method though.

www.robertpoolephotography.com

Me too since I have always Formatted the cards in camera for all my digital cameras which was considered best advice generally. Admitted I am a late adopter of Leica but have had no problems with my Sandisk Extreme 16gb 45's in either of my 2 M9s so far.

• Like 1

How do you treat your cards ? or what is your MO ?

I use a mix of cards from 2GB to 32GB and of varying speed and manufacturer. I treat them all inconsistently, sometimes deleting in camera, sometimes formatting in camera or using SD Formatter on a Mac. As I said in post 5 - very few problems. My only caveat is that I buy cards from reputable outlets and if any gave a problem I would stop using it on the basis that dodgy cards are unlikely to get better.

Im using a Sandisk 90mb/s 16GB gold SD card with no apparent issues on my M9.  I see that all the other cards are 45mb/s.  Am i using the wrong card?  I tried it on my M3, the camera didn't recognize it and it kinda rattled around in the camera, must be some kind of design flaw. I asked the dog, she had no opinion...

Edited by JohnnySeven
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Any advice on using a Sandisc 32GB 95MB/s on an M9-P or MM1?

(I won't try it in my M6 - thanks JohnnySeven!)