Discussing Leica lenses on Micro 4/3rds

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Using M mount lenses on MFT is mostly not worth it. The longer the lens you use however, the better it generally gets.

The main problems are sensor size and design. Can't go around this. The rest is personal preference, which can go any way imaginable.

Sorry for being a bit short.I was in a tearing hurry. :(

It makes little sense to try to compare a full-frame lens on a 4/3rds sensor to a native lens, as you will only be looking at the central part. Besides, my point was minimizing weight and size, so I did not make the comparison.My general impression is that there is little to differentiate in optical quality and the 100-400 is as well built, or really better being weathersealed. The hood is a bit wobbly though.

I think the Vario-Elmar 105-280 is a perfect lens on the SL ( as it takes extenders) and M240/10, but is too heavy and large to be of serious use on an MFT body. And it is considerably shorter focal length than the DG 100-400 -slower with the extender on to get it longer- and lacks power OIS (making weight and size even more problematic).

• Like 1

BTW, the DG Summilux 15 asph is quite a lens too :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

IMHO, the best 'Leica' lens for m43rds - the Lumix Leica DG Elmarit 45/2.8 - especially powerful combined with my Panasonic GX80.

Edited by biglouis
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody should worry about the sensor, the files can take an enormous beating:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Like many of you, I also have experimented with other cameras on the side and usually return to the Leica M. I've gone through a compact Panasonic LX, compact Canon S and Fuji X. I got rid of all of them after 6 months and fell more in love with my M9. But when I got the Panasonic GX7, it stayed and remains my "mod-con" favourite.

The micro 4/3 images I find to be high quality and modern. My Leica tends to have a soul which I love more than anything. Most of my lenses on my M9 are of the late Mandler era.

On the micro 4/3rds, the lenses I use are the Leica m4/3 15mm & 25mm. I also regularly use a Noctilux (M) f/1.0 and Elmarit-M 90mm. The Noctilux on the GX7 at f/1 is a great tool in the dark. Yesterday I purchased the new Leica 12-60mm m4/3 lens to avoid having to swap lenses around. What I'd really like to see is a Leica pancake lens for m4/3.

Here's my sample of photos all with the GX7 and using the above-mentioned lenses (none with the new zoom yet).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/danbachmann/sets/72157655002260620

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

To me it's all about the glass. Leica glass. And as much as I don't want to believe it, the Sony A series cameras are so flexibe on that end that kinda makes it perfect. It lets you use any sort of glass you want to (ok I am aware of some problems with WA lenses but still impressive) now you can even auto-focus M glass. It is just nuts. I don't own any Sony, but it might be my next digital camera after the M9 (that one I keep for life)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently commenced bird photography on a regular basis using various Leica based camera and lens combinations e.g:  Leica T and SL with Canon FD 500/4.5 and Canon 300/4L both with FD 1.4x extenders; Sony A7SII with Leica R 560/6.8 and Leica R 800/6.3 Telyt S … including Leitz APO extenders … and have also tried the Telyt lenses with my SL and T. I travel to local wildlife reserves to use their hides and i'm thoroughly enjoying the experience - but I'm limited by all my combinations being 'manual focus.' When focus is 'nailed' I can obtain good results e.g. https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/253460-3rd-party-lens-performance-on-sl/?p=3310700   but other birders' 'hit rates', using their AF equipment, are much higher. The old adage, "It's not the camera (lens), it's the photographer behind it which counts" has some truth in it … but when all’s said and done, nobody could win the Le Mans 24 Hour race driving an outmoded obsolete car. Relatively fast moving photographic subjects, especially at long distance, require fast AF lenses. Leica's Telyt lenses did cater for wildlife photographers in the past but they are not a practical solution nowadays unless you're a masochist. Anyone with common sense realises that AF offers a much smoother and less frustrating approach to bird photography. I'm aware that some professionals still persevere with e.g. the manual focus Leica R 280/4 APO lens and I used one myself with great results - but it was only really usable at relatively close subject distances; for smaller birds at longer distance 'in the wild' (as distinct from my back yard) its focal length is too short. There were high hopes of the Novoflex EOS to SL adapter offering an AF long lens solution for Leica SL devotees - but it has proved to be far too slow in use and not worth considering for wildlife AF photography. Leica Camera AG does not seem to acknowledge the need for a long AF prime or zoom lens(es) for full frame wildlife photographers; their only offering to date is the SL 90-280mm which is just too short for serious 'in the field' bird photography - especially as there are no extenders available. Panasonic seem to have persuaded Leica to cooperate by producing the PanaLeica 100-400mm M4/3 lens and it appears to have sold very well … but Leica Camera AG has not responded or acknowledged the lens' usefulness by including a corresponding 'very long focal length' prime or zoom lens in its SL lens' road map. Others have commented on the lack of SL long focus lenses and it’s not only wildlife photographers whose needs are not satisfied … sports photographers also require AF lenses longer than 280mm. Leica SL camera sales would likely increase very significantly if longer AF lenses were available. Currently their non-availability is a notable SL system shortcoming and more so because there is not even a hint about them in the road map.  Maybe when Blackstone’s Leica stake has been acquired by another investor we might see a change of heart and maybe a hint of some longer focal length SL lenses … to tempt all those who so far have not taken the plunge into the Leica FF SL autofocus system. 

Meantime, I’m very seriously considering gong down half a notch by resurrecting my 'overcomplicated menu’ Olympus EM1 and acquiring a PanaLeica 100-400mm M4/3 lens … i.e. following in Jaap's and Big Louis’ footsteps. 

The PanaLeica 100-400 M4/3 lens’ popularity (and other PanaLeica lenses) also begs the question, “ Why hasn’t Leica Camera AG produced, or badge engineered, a M4/3 ICL camera?” Potential sales could likely justify same.    

dunk 

I'm only an occasional dabbler at birds and long lens sport photography, , and I haven't found much difference between MF and AF, hit rate is pretty low for either.

I have done motpr sport before in the distant past and find it eadier to get back into the timing and technique for that than when trying a new sport, or wildlife. So much is in the technique and timing, needs knowledge of the subject and its 'habits' or likely movement in sport. Needs lots of practice I think!

Gerry

• Like 2