Which backpack for the SL?

MRJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ingo,

it seems as if you have tried to put some kind of barrier between the top and the bottom area. Might you show in another picture what you have done, please? I am wondering how to divide both parts to make the top more useful for other stuff.

Thanks in advance, Patrick

If you look at the dividers in Ingo's lowermost photo, you see that the dividers can be split in two (or open up), forming a vertical divider. It's a quite smart method to optimise your backpack (or the PD's Everyday Messenger Bag). Edited by helged

Ingo,

it seems as if you have tried to put some kind of barrier between the top and the bottom area. Might you show in another picture what you have done, please? I am wondering how to divide both parts to make the top more useful for other stuff.

Thanks in advance, Patrick

I've added a divider from a Thinktank Manager 30 which fits perfectly. If Pekdesign starts selling their dividers seperatly I may buy one.

Sometimes I just use a Peakdesign pouch to store additional gear at the top of the backpack.

I've added a divider from a Thinktank Manager 30 which fits perfectly. If Pekdesign starts selling their dividers seperatly I may buy one.

Sometimes I just use a Peakdesign pouch to store additional gear at the top of the backpack.

Thanks.

Patrick

I have been looking for a backpack for my travels.  It must fit the SL, 24-90, 90-280, M240, M 50 Lux, M 35 Lux, SF 40, set of Filters and 13 inch Notebook.

Bought the Billingham Rucksack 25 which is a good fit.  Unfortunately, there is no space for my 13 inch notebook.

Got the  Peak Design Massenger 15 Inch, I found it to be too heavy to put the weight on one shoulder.

Peak Design Backpack 30 is too big, 20 is too small.  Moreover, I do not like the padding to the dividers and body of thePeak Design Backpack.  They are too thin to provide sufficient protection to my gears.

I have found a perfect back for all my gears.  I just bought the Manfrotto Pro Light Multipro-120 P.  It fits all of my gears and more.

Edited by Fang

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Fang

This is what I am using now for SL and 4 x M Lenses............very light and loads of space for more gear

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

What are you using for the SL with a mounted 90-280 plus some extra lenses/gear?

The rotation 180° is versatile, from mindshift:http://mindshiftgear.de/de/produkte/rotation180-professional

It's not stylish, but functional. I use it mainly for the SL, with both zooms, and a lot of other stuff.

The onyl drawback: if you put the backpack down, it topples. This is on purpose, as you get access to the content from backside (safe), but it annoys me, I prefer the solution of the old 360° rotation backpack from thinktank, which stands upright on the ground, but maybe it's just a habit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I am only carrying the bare essentials on my LowePro Format Backpack 150.  It's a smallest backpack from Lowepro, but it fits all the gear I need for a short trip.  Despite being only 30cm tall, it fits the 90-280 mounted on the SL with grip easily.

For longer expeditions where I need to bring more gear, I'll use my new Think Tank Airport Advantage.

20180118 131131

20180118 131117

20180118 131029

20180118 131011

20180118 130950

Edited by fotonutzz
  • Like 1

Hi Brad,

Oh yeah, the Streetwalker may be suitable too. Will check it out. Thanks!

I'm also looking for the Think Tank Urban Disguise 35 Classic. Think it should fit my lightweight gear just nicely.

Used to have the first version, but gave it to my friend.

Edited by fotonutzz

Shoulder bags are great, but when carrying the body, 24-90, accessories + the 90-280, I need the weight distributed on my back. Think Tank also makes a Speed Racer and the Speed Freak Shoulder/Waist bag, which is also very good. I have the medium one, which I believe is the Speed Freak. It fits the body and the 24-90, extra small-med lenses and a flash, but not the 90-280. Perhaps the larger one will?

-Brad

I gave up trying to carry even just the SL and SL90-280 in a shoulder bag. It's too heavy and it hurts my back and legs.

I'll pick up that Trifecta 10 sometime soon. Right now, I use the Pelican 1510 rollaway and keep the load off my body. :)

• Like 1

I gave up trying to carry even just the SL and SL90-280 in a shoulder bag. It's too heavy and it hurts my back and legs.

I'll pick up that Trifecta 10 sometime soon. Right now, I use the Pelican 1510 rollaway and keep the load off my body. :)

P6210184 2

20171202 164200

P6210172

Ramarren, 

Same here.  I'm either using the hard case with rollers or the Airport Advantage.  But just need a small backpack when I'm carrying limited gear.  If I'm carry all my bodies and gear, roller cases is the only option

Ramarren, 

Same here.  I'm either using the hard case with rollers or the Airport Advantage.  But just need a small backpack when I'm carrying limited gear.  If I'm carry all my bodies and gear, roller cases is the only option

I almost never carry three cameras, but the SL with 24-90, 90-280, and Super-Elmarit-R 15mm fitted into my Tenba Cooper 13 simply weighs 18 lbs or so ... which is more than I'll ever carry on one shoulder again for more than a 100m walk from car to shooting point! All three fit nicely in the Pelican 1510 with the custom insert I had made up for it. And they'll all also fit nicely in the Trifecta 10. Sometimes having to drag the trolly along is simply too logistically a PITA, and a backpack that I can wear makes it much easier to run between trains or planes. I don't need to fill it either, making it "light" and carrying the Bazooka easily. 

For small kits of camera with one or  another lens, or two lenses discounting The Bazooka, my friendly old Billingham L2 does a great job. 

Fun stuff, eh?

• Like 1

I have many more bags than cameras. I don't like the Peak backpacks because everything moves around and there's a ton of wasted space. The TT Airport Essentials is by far the best I have for a camera like the SL. I've tried many to get better but have yet to.

Special mention to the LowePro Pro Tactic series though. Great bags.

Gordon

• Like 2

Gordon,

Hahaha.....I think all photographers are always trying to buy the elusive, perfect camera bag.

In the process, they end up buy lots of bags......Sigh.

But for now, I'm happily settled with my Airport Advantage.

OMG, is that all you have? :D 

I'm afraid to pull them all out and photograph them, but I think there are at least three times that number of freekin' bags in my closet. 

• Like 3