Which backpack for the SL?

MRJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the Everyday Messenger, and I've just order the 20L backpack. I'm hoping it will give me enough space for the SL and two zooms, and maybe a couple of M primes (for my 110° "outback" trips, Jaap was asking about). Joking aside, what I'm hoping is that the backpack will be compact, while enabling me to take the SL with a combination of zooms and primes, and perhaps the Monochrom or M-A.

I didn't go for the 30L as I want to keep things compact; and I have 35L and 40L ski packs, and they seem too large ...

Once you get it, could you please report back whether the SL with the mounted 90-280 fits inside the PD 20L both horizontally and vertically? Many thanks in advance!

... - It just appears that any extra small lenses are difficult to secure and might move around and scratch. Probably need to be put in dedicated lens pouches or cloths if one cares.

The Crumpler backpacks seem to be practically the only ones that are sufficiently slim in height to prevent m lenses rattling, while being able to accommodate the SL natives. I have looked at a lot of bags and not found any alternatives. I am old enough to remember the days when bags did not have enough height to accommodate professional DSLRs. The bag industry already seems to be 1/2 a cycle behind.

• Like 1

Just spent the day out with the Peak Design 30L backpack. What a fabulous piece of kit. Carried SL plus 35 cron, 50apo and 21SEM, plus the 24-90 zoom, water, maps etc. Can access the side compartments without removing the bag, and everything just works brilliantly. Really comfortable on my shoulders, which means I can carry much more weight with comfort than I can with my ONA Berlin for example.

• Like 1

Here's the 20 litre Peak Design backpack, with 24-90 zoom, Noctilux (with adapter) and 21 Summilux on one side:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

and the SL with 90-280 attached on the other side, with the camera at the top and lens facing downwards:

You could put the camera round the other way.

Please excuse the iPhone photo.

• Like 7

Here's the 20 litre Peak Design backpack, with 24-90 zoom, Noctilux (with adapter) and 21 Summilux on one side:

attachicon.gifIMG_0151.jpg

and the SL with 90-280 attached on the other side, with the camera at the top and lens facing downwards:

attachicon.gifIMG_0155.jpg

You could put the camera round the other way.

Please excuse the iPhone photo.

I just noticed that Mark also asked about orienting the camera crossways, with the long zoom attached.

The camera with the 24-90 zoom fitted sits neatly across the bag.  I have reorganised the partitions to see what would comfortably fit; I have the SL with 24-90 zoom at the bottom, going across the bag, with the Noct and 21 Summilux in wraps and M-A with 50 Summitar fitted (it's collapsable, so the lens takes little to no additional space), in their own compartments.  That leaves quite a lot of space in the top for film, the macro adapter, specs, wallet etc.

The 90-280 zoom will not fit across the bag at all.  If you want to take the long zoom, it has to be oriented vertically (which is no particular stress).  For that scenario, I would envisage the SL with two zooms, and perhaps the M-A or Monochrom with one lens.  Reorganising the partitions is a breeze - all you need to do is to think from which side you wish to access what.  I'm right handed, so I will put the camera I'm most likely to need on the right side, with lenses and secondary camera on the left - vertically oriented does make the camera easier to get at - the 24-90 zoom with the hood reversed sits neatly, crossways in the bottom compartment.  I expect it will need to be removed with a bit more care than if it was oriented vertically - then the problem will be it falling out as you unzip, if you're not careful!

So far, I have only carried the bag on my back for the ride home yesterday.  It's firm and compact on your back - very comfortable.

The issue with this bag, like any other, is organising it in a logical way; and getting your gear in safely so it doesn't all fall out when you want to switch lenses.  It is extremely well organised, and sits neatly on my back.  The real danger will be overloading the bag - hence, I am very happy I went with the more compact 20L rather than the larger 30L - it will impose discipline on me to keep my gear under control.  There are pockets for SD cards and batteries, and a back pocket for phone, passport and iPad or laptop.  I won't be carrying chargers (leaving that stuff for check in luggage), but I will carry an iPhone cable.  For the trip to Israel, I will probably not take a laptop, relying on my iPad.  This reduces chargers considerably.  Similarly, I won't be taking the Monochrom, preferring the M-A and a few rolls of film instead.

If I want bigger, then I have a Tenba somewhere, and I have 35 litre, 45 litre and 90 litre rucksacks I can use, with proper packing borrowed from other bags.  I don't see that happening.  As packed (see above), the backpack is already as heavy as I would like.

All the little details you expect from a Peak Design product are there.  Highly recommended.

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still considering the SL and how I would actually use it.... lens choice, carry/travel requirements, etc. Counter to my usual preference for primes, I'm intrigued with a 2-3 native zoom kit (given the forthcoming 16-35).

I have the Gura Gear 26L, but would want something more compact. So far your bag and the Think Tank Trifecta 10 might suit (I linked to a good video comparison above). The major advantage of the TT is the ability to open the bag from the back to easily organize and pack....access is then from each side. The 20L has other advantages that appeal.

Meanwhile the bigger decision regarding system choice remains.

Jeff

I just noticed that Mark also asked about orienting the camera crossways, with the long zoom attached.

The camera with the 24-90 zoom fitted sits neatly across the bag.  I have reorganised the partitions to see what would comfortably fit; I have the SL with 24-90 zoom at the bottom, going across the bag, with the Noct and 21 Summilux in wraps and M-A with 50 Summitar fitted (it's collapsable, so the lens takes little to no additional space), in their own compartments.  That leaves quite a lot of space in the top for film, the macro adapter, specs, wallet etc.

The 90-280 zoom will not fit across the bag at all.  If you want to take the long zoom, it has to be oriented vertically (which is no particular stress).  For that scenario, I would envisage the SL with two zooms, and perhaps the M-A or Monochrom with one lens.  Reorganising the partitions is a breeze - all you need to do is to think from which side you wish to access what.  I'm right handed, so I will put the camera I'm most likely to need on the right side, with lenses and secondary camera on the left - vertically oriented does make the camera easier to get at - the 24-90 zoom with the hood reversed sits neatly, crossways in the bottom compartment.  I expect it will need to be removed with a bit more care than if it was oriented vertically - then the problem will be it falling out as you unzip, if you're not careful!

So far, I have only carried the bag on my back for the ride home yesterday.  It's firm and compact on your back - very comfortable.

The issue with this bag, like any other, is organising it in a logical way; and getting your gear in safely so it doesn't all fall out when you want to switch lenses.  It is extremely well organised, and sits neatly on my back.  The real danger will be overloading the bag - hence, I am very happy I went with the more compact 20L rather than the larger 30L - it will impose discipline on me to keep my gear under control.  There are pockets for SD cards and batteries, and a back pocket for phone, passport and iPad or laptop.  I won't be carrying chargers (leaving that stuff for check in luggage), but I will carry an iPhone cable.  For the trip to Israel, I will probably not take a laptop, relying on my iPad.  This reduces chargers considerably.  Similarly, I won't be taking the Monochrom, preferring the M-A and a few rolls of film instead.

If I want bigger, then I have a Tenba somewhere, and I have 35 litre, 45 litre and 90 litre rucksacks I can use, with proper packing borrowed from other bags.  I don't see that happening.  As packed (see above), the backpack is already as heavy as I would like.

All the little details you expect from a Peak Design product are there.  Highly recommended.

Cheers

John

Many thanks for the description and for posting the photos, John, much appreciated! - I had the opportunity to check out both rucksacks last Friday in the very helpful SF Leica store, just hadn't had the time to report back here. - While the 20l can carry all that gear with no problem and some appeal, I was quite intrigued by the photo posted by Ingo which has the SL with 90-280 horizontally in one compartment. But this really only works well with the 30l version in the top compartment as I could confirm. While this is ergonomically not ideal (a lot of weight toward the top in a rucksack isn't really great) it allows in my opinion for some better functionality when changing lenses as one can work from only one side and does not need to move the rucksack around; one can even do it standing up. As usual it comes down to a matter of priorities and I was worried that the 30l has too much space in some regard, and whether I really need this flexibility in functionality over compactness. So I haven't bought it yet but still trend toward the 30l. Both are great in their own way.

Edited by MRJohn
  • Like 1

The 90-280 fits easily in the bottom of the 30L version. I don't know why you would think it only fits in the top one. In my bag i simply moved the sivider and it fits perfectly with the hood reversed and the collar in place. 50SL and wate in the middle and body with 24-90 on top.

An absolutely fantastic bag. Now what to do with the other 20 backpacks I've collected over the years. :)

Gordon

The 90-280 fits easily in the bottom of the 30L version. I don't know why you would think it only fits in the top one. In my bag i simply moved the sivider and it fits perfectly with the hood reversed and the collar in place. 50SL and wate in the middle and body with 24-90 on top.

An absolutely fantastic bag. Now what to do with the other 20 backpacks I've collected over the years. :)

Gordon

It fits well by itself horizontally in the bottom compartment, but not well when mounted to the SL, at least not when I tried. It seemed much more comfortable in the top compartment when mounted. Maybe I am wrong but that was my impression by speed-dating the backpack. - Oh well, I have two Lowepro Hatchbacks which might need to go and a few bags (maybe one could open a new thread "how many bags for the SL" to help decide  :)).

Mark

• Like 2

It fits well by itself horizontally in the bottom compartment, but not well when mounted to the SL, at least not when I tried. It seemed much more comfortable in the top compartment when mounted. Maybe I am wrong but that was my impression by speed-dating the backpack. - Oh well, I have two Lowepro Hatchbacks which might need to go and a few bags (maybe one could open a new thread "how many bags for the SL" to help decide  :)).

Mark

Sorry missed the bit where you had it mounted.

Gordon

Cheers

John

You'll be pleased to know you have cost me yet more money.

Even the postman was laughing as he guessed it was yet another camera bag when he delivered it......  :p

Glad you posted some photos otherwise I would have got the 30l ....... and as it is, the 20l when loaded with SL gear is plenty heavy enough. 

Off for 4 days of landscape photography with Vieri in April on the Isle of Skye ....... so we will see if it ends up in the camera bag graveyard in the garage ........ with all others that were 'perfect' when unboxed .....

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 3

You'll be pleased to know you have cost me yet more money.

Even the postman was laughing as he guessed it was yet another camera bag when he delivered it......  :p

Glad you posted some photos otherwise I would have got the 30l ....... and as it is, the 20l when loaded with SL gear is plenty heavy enough. 

Off for 4 days of landscape photography with Vieri in April on the Isle of Skye ....... so we will see if it ends up in the camera bag graveyard in the garage ........ with all others that were 'perfect' when unboxed .....

Yeah, the challenge with camera bags is deciding what to leave out, rather than getting one big enough to take what you think you need. My 20L bag (SL, 24-90 Vario-Elmarit, M and a couple of primes) is plenty heavy enough. I can fit any camera system in there. If I had the 30L, the risk is I'd fill it.

Have fun on Skye!

• Like 1