Novoflex Canon EF Lens to Leica SL Adapter: list of compatible/tested lenses

AlexP

It looks like Sigma has a real winner here. It looks like this lens is as good as anything Leica or Zeiss has to offer, at a fraction of the cost. It also makes me happy I bought the SL. This kind of versatility is something I value highly.

The Canon 100L and 135L lenses seem to be working as well. The 135 even fast.

The Sigma 1.4/85 even very fast.

Has anybody tried the Sigma "macro" lenses in EOS mount ?  105, 150, 180

Not so much as macro, but as tele lenses with AF capability. Probably in macro position AF will be slow, but I wonder how fast they are when used at a longer distance.

As macro lenses they are usually corrected to a high degree, so they would deliver excellent IQ, even at a distance.

(Or Tamron macro lenses in EOS mount ? )

Sigma lenses are "customizable" with the USB dock. I wonder if anybody has tried to customize the "non-working" lenses (like the 1.4/50 or 1.4/35) so that AF would start working. Or would Sigma offer an upgrade to get them "in working order" ?

(It would be nice if Sigma told more about the differences, why one works very fast (85) and others not at all.)

Edited by caissa

Sigma lenses are "customizable" with the USB dock. I wonder if anybody has tried to customize the "non-working" lenses (like the 1.4/50 or 1.4/35) so that AF would start working. Or would Sigma offer an upgrade to get them "in working order" ?

(It would be nice if Sigma told more about the differences, why one works very fast (85) and others not at all.)

i asked sigma and they said it not their lens. They said it is optimize to work with Canon mount. It is the adapter, they said.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My adapter causing the camera hang and freeze very often. I just tried 400mm f5.6. Sometimes its very fast. And suddenly it stop working and i have to restart the camera. Anybody have the same experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not all lenses work well and I don't have the EF400mm 5.6L. It could be it's not fully compatible.

But..... I had an issue with the Sigma 12-24 Art. It worked and then it didn't. I saved my profiles. Reset the camera and reloaded my profiles and all has been well ever since.

I'm not saying it will work but it's worth a try.

Gordon

Not all lenses work well and I don't have the EF400mm 5.6L. It could be it's not fully compatible.

But..... I had an issue with the Sigma 12-24 Art. It worked and then it didn't. I saved my profiles. Reset the camera and reloaded my profiles and all has been well ever since.

I'm not saying it will work but it's worth a try.

Gordon

i'll try to reset my camera. i hope it works

My adapter causing the camera hang and freeze very often. I just tried 400mm f5.6. Sometimes its very fast. And suddenly it stop working and i have to restart the camera. Anybody have the same experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I saw the same. It wouldn't work at all with the 1.4x, but the straight 400/5.6L worked ok most of the time. It may be worth hanging on to the Sony A7II just so that I can still have IS with that combo, even though MF is needed.

--Matt

Yes. I saw the same. It wouldn't work at all with the 1.4x, but the straight 400/5.6L worked ok most of the time. It may be worth hanging on to the Sony A7II just so that I can still have IS with that combo, even though MF is needed.

--Matt

try to slap that 1.4x to your canon lens and mount to A7ii. It is not working as well.

I can confirm that the cheap 50 f/1.8 doesn't work with AF and neither does the 70-300mm DO. Both try to focus but the point that they eventually consider "in focus" - isn't.

Obviously MF works just fine. Hoping for better luck with the 14mm f/2.8 L and the 35mm f/2 IS.

I have an original Canon Camera Co. 'Canon Lens Converter FD to EOS' … a very scarce FD to EOS ' dumb adapter i.e. no electrical contacts … made by Canon when their EOS system was first announced many years ago. 

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/canon_fd_eos_adapters.html

… and it works fine with Canon EOS digital cameras and FD lenses it's designed to fit … e.g. my Canon FD 300/4 L used on a Canon EOS 550D … and it works with both reflex and EOS live view.

The optical adapter has a 1.26x extender factor - thus the 300mm lens' effective focal length increases to 378mm on an EOS camera  (but with a 550D, 1.6x 378mm = 604.8mm allowing for the EOS APS crop factor ) 

I assumed the Canon FD 300/4 L plus 'Canon Lens Converter FD to EOS' would be usable with the Novoflex EOS to SL adapter thus providing a 378mm lens for the SL camera … but unfortunately there is no live view image on the SL monitor or in the finder … the lmage is blank in both .

I mounted the Novoflex adapter and lens in accordance with the Novoflex adapter instructions i.e. adapters to lens first followed by adapter and lens combination to the SL camera. 

SL camera has 2.2 firmware.

A photograph is possible using Aperture priority by guesstimating the subject distance and pressing the shutter - but focus is hit and miss and a 'lens communication error' warning  message is displayed in the finder / monitor . 

The EOS pins / contacts in the front of the Novoflex EOS to SL adapter are the same as those in the 550D cameras lens mount … and there are no live view issues with the 550D when using the dumb Canon adapter.

The FD 300mm f4 L lens can be used on the SL with a regular 'dumb' (contactless) FD to SL/T adapter … but I was hoping to use the Canon Lens Converter FD to EOS adapter to obtain the increased focal length. 

My manual focus Canon EOS 24/TS lens works fine with the Novoflex EOS to SL adapter 

Does anyone have any ideas to maybe persuade the Novoflex EOS to SL adapter to work with the dumb 'Canon Lens Converter FD to EOS' adapter so as to provide a focusable live view image ?  

Best wishes

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Your note made me try a similar setup: I used to use my R lenses on the Canon with a dumb adapter. Now I took this and added it to the Novoflex AF adapter and the result is identical: Black screen. Strange, the adapter is too clever for us ...     (for the R lenses attached in that way.)

So best leave away the Novoflex AF adapter. Use a dumb EOS to Leica M adapter - probably easiest to find. Or a dedicated dumb EOS to SL adapter. Both should be working. As your FD lens has mechanical aperture control this is fine.

From K&F or Fotodiox I got all kinds of adapters to adapt almost anything to a Leica M. And this also works flawlessly with the SL  (and the official M to SL adapter).

But is the additional focal length (with deteriorated quality I assume) really worth the trouble ?  A simple FD to SL or FD to Leica M is cleaner and for me preferable.

Edited by caissa

Your note made me try a similar setup: I used to use my R lenses on the Canon with a dumb adapter. Now I took this and added it to the Novoflex AF adapter and the result is identical: Black screen. (for the R lenses attached in that way.)

So best leave away the Novoflex AF adapter. Use a dumb EOS to Leica M adapter - probably easiest to find. Or a dedicated dumb EOS to SL adapter. Both should be working. As your FD lens has mechanical aperture control this is fine.

But is the additional focal length (with deteriorated quality I assume) really worth the trouble ?  A simple FD to SL or FD to Leica M is cleaner and for me preferable.

I was hoping the extended focal length via the special FD to EOS adapter would offer a better performance than the regular Canon 1.4x FD extender … 5 element vs 4 element and maybe different glass types … the original Canon FD to EOS adapter is a high quality professional optic intended for use mainly with the FD L lenses.

dunk 

Obviously MF works just fine. Hoping for better luck with the 14mm f/2.8 L and the 35mm f/2 IS.

My Canon 35mm f/2 IS totally block the SL. It prevent the camera to take any picture. Edited by Leicaiste
  • Like 1

My Canon 35mm f/2 IS totally block the SL. It prevent the camera to take any picture.

Too bad. The 14 f/2.8 L II isn't really working either. Almost makes me wonder if my adapter is faulty but I guess have aperture control and lens details is going to have to be enough for now.

• Like 1

For all the Leica SL owner out there that thinking about using your Canon lens via adapter, i have good news for you. Here are list of lens that i'm current have and test with the adapter.

Canon Lenses:

16-35mm f/4 IS: Snappy/fast AF

24-70mm f/2.8 mkii: AF work. Ok speed

24-105L : AF work. Speed ok

35L mkii: AF work. Speed ok. Have to switch AF/MF once in awhile for the lens to communicate with the camera.

100L : AF work/ average. However, it hunts quite a bit sometime for no reason.

135L: Fast AF

70-200mm f/2.8 mkii: AF work. OK speed

Canon BIG WHITE LENS:

Canon 300mm f/2.8 IS II: AF work. OK speed.

Canon 400DO mkii : AF work but VERY VERY SLOW.

Canon 600mm f/4L IS II: AF work but Slow.

Sigma lenses:

8-16mm: Fast AF. Make sure to switch your SL to APS-C mode.

20mm ART: Super fast AF. almost the same as if you're using with DSLR. I'm surprised.

24mm ART: Super fast AF.

35mm ART: AF not working at all

50mm ART: AF not working at all

24-35mm ART: Ok AF

18-35mm ART: Fast AF

50-100mm ART: Fast AF. However, sometime the camera stop communicate with the lens. I have to turn off the camera, turn back on then AF works fast again.

I'll update this list frequently. If you happen to have the same adapter but different lens from this lens, please respond so we can have a better list. 

Dear Alex,

There seems to be several factors influencing the behaviour of the SL with the Novoflex adapter.

I have tried with the Sigma Art 20mm f1.4, and in my case this does not work at all. The lens does not focus, and the SL refuses to fire the shutter.

However, the Sigma ART 50mm f1.4 does function in manual focus, and control of the aperture works as intended.

Then, finally, the Sigma ART 85mm f1.4 has blistering fast AF!

Best regards

Trond

Edited by trond
  • Like 2