Just bought my first Leica - What are your best tips?

Beena22

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My apologies for misspelling in my original reply.  I can't see it well on mobile phone.

One more thing I forgot to add. Study Leica photographers work. Classics like Henry Cartier Bresson and Gary Winogrand. Check Leica blog. Do not try to copy, just look at as many pictures as possible and try to get the feel. This was and is helping me to understand why photography with Leica is different from SLR, TLR, MF and LF cameras.

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 1

Hi Beena,

The position of the secondary RF image will tell you which way to turn the lens to merge the two images. Ex: Secondary image on the left, turn the focus ring to the right.

Ironic post in that I recently picked up Sony A7 to use as "film scanner" with a Leica BEOON. Out of curiosity I tried a few of my manual lenses. I was surprised how much I liked the A7. Focus peaking set to yellow/medium is fast and accurate, which focus mag when needed. I think the A7 is going to replace my Fuji X100 and Canon 6D.

Do you have any manual focus/settings tips for an A7 newbie?

My only advice would be to assign the focus magnification button to the little button (sorry not near my camera so can't remember what that button ism but it's the tiny round round nearer the top of the back) and not the main select button as it's more comfortable and intuitive to hit.

RE your Jupiter lenses. I read somewhere that these won't focus correctly on an M9 without shims. YMMV. If you already have a 35mm why not sell the X100T to fund a Leica 50? (i've not sold my X100 so I understand if you want to keep it because it is an awesome camera!)

Selling the Fuji is something I'm considering actually as I haven't bonded with it as much as I did the original X100 oddly. It's a fabulous camera and much better in every way than the original but I don't like the way the sensor renders compares to the X100.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Some great advice coming from you all here. I will be keeping the A7 for light light work as well as tele and macro work but I wanted to get back to basics with my photography and the M9 seems perfect for that. I'm really looking forward to basically learning how to shoot again with a whole new method. I'm going to relish the challenge.

I would dearly love some Leica glass and that will happen in the future but it will take me a while to save as I'm not an affluent guy unfortunately.

Start with a Summaron 35/2.8 for instance, highly underrated, supersharp, dreamy bo-keh, not as expensive as a Nokton or Zeiss

• Like 1

I'm actually considering buying an XPRO1 as a second camera to go with my M. I have quite a bit of legacy glass plus a Samyang 12mm. I have an XE1 and might trade that for one. 

With the firmware upgrades it's a great camera. I just wanted to focus (!) on Leica for my rangefinder stuff. Yes I know, before anyone chips in, the Xpro1 isn't a rangefinder. The problem with fuji is they go in for all that modern camera complexity. This is what an M9 is brilliant for - simple, old school photography. What it's not so brilliant at - with ageing eyes - is finding focus reliably at f2. Or actually that's the operator.  B)

They look to be going for around £700 used on eBay. I can get a Planar for around £600.

Otto has a point. I think you should really try another visit to red dot and take a few pictures with Leica lenses, then go home a have a good long look on the screen. What Leica lenses give is quite different from what Zeiss lenses give - I write this as someone who uses both. I can't put my finger on what the difference is, but it's there. Maybe we might say the Zeiss has a more modern, clinical look. I'd hesitate to say the Leica are warmer but they are certainly smoother. It will make a lot of difference on that sensor.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Otto has a point. I think you should really try another visit to red dot and take a few pictures with Leica lenses, then go home a have a good long look on the screen. What Leica lenses give is quite different from what Zeiss lenses give - I write this as someone who uses both. I can't put my finger on what the difference is, but it's there. Maybe we might say the Zeiss has a more modern, clinical look. I'd hesitate to say the Leica are warmer but they are certainly smoother. It will make a lot of difference on that sensor.

Thanks for the advice. I will certainly try a few out before buying when I have the cash.

Actually, Summaron 35 2.8 has been terribly overpriced for couple of years now. Used Nokton 35 1.4 is way less expensive now.  For the same price of Summaron 35 2.8 you could get used Summarit-M 35 2.5, which is much newer lens, coded and renders as true Leica.

The only Zeiss I have tried on M-E was Planar 50 f2 ZM. Sold it after tree weeks. I didn't liked build and handling. With Zeiss 1/3 stops clicks I became aperture ring operator and feel of the focus was not pleasing at all.  I'd rather take clean version one (collapsible) Summicron, than Planar. To be honest if J-3 and J-8 are getting shimmed for M mount and lubricated properly they are OK lenses if Leica 50mm isn't affordable for a while. 

IMO, with digital M and color, lens character is not as visible as on black and white film. But on M-E I was still able to see the difference between Jupiter-3, Nokton 50 1.5 VM, Planar 50/2 ZM and Cron Rigid. Leitz made lens wasn't sharpest one, had front focus at f2-f4, but rendering was less flat. Jupiter-3 was also interesting, Nokton was OK and Planar was boring.

Edited by Ko.Fe.

Im like you :-)

Hade a Canon 7D and lots og L lenses, sold all and bought a sony RX1, then i buy a Sony a7MarkII, bought also a M8, sold the M8, year after misses the M, bought a M-e, sold the A7, and are now more happy. 

No i also have a Panasonic lx100 for back up. 

Welcome to the Leica world. 

• Like 1

It has arrived and it's beautiful. There is a bit of a sour note though as I noticed around ten hot pixels in each of my first round of photos. I didn't realise I was shooting Jpegs at the time and when I shoot Raw Lightroom gets rid of them so it won't be an issue for me. I contacted Red Dot who said I could either have a refund or they'll send it to Leica to have the pixels mapped for me for free. Doesn't seem worthwhile though as I'm guessing that will just do the same as Lightroom is doing but in camera. I'm going to keep it and see if I can negotiate a discount with them tomorrow. I think that's only fair.

Otherwise the camera is in mint condition. Not a mark on it and only 633 photos taken. It's basically like a brand new M9. I'm super happy with it and can't wait to get it out in the light tomorrow to take some shots with it, instead of the low, light efforts I've been doing around the house this evening.

The Voigtlander Nokton is sharp as a tack on it, even wide open. It seems to perform even better than on the A7. The Jupiters seem OK too but they don't bring up the 50mm frame lines because the adapter I have must be the wrong sort. I'm going to get a proper one in the next few days.

• Like 2

I forgot I had a lens cap on a few times and wondered why it was taking so long to expose. Now I use a stubby holder (beer can wet suit thing) over my lens.

I have two Crons 35 and 50, Angelo Pelle half case and a softie and thumbs up.

I love my M-E more than my 5D and G12, but it all depends on what I need to shoot.

It has arrived and it's beautiful. There is a bit of a sour note though as I noticed around ten hot pixels in each of my first round of photos. I didn't realise I was shooting Jpegs at the time and when I shoot Raw Lightroom gets rid of them so it won't be an issue for me. I contacted Red Dot who said I could either have a refund or they'll send it to Leica to have the pixels mapped for me for free. Doesn't seem worthwhile though as I'm guessing that will just do the same as Lightroom is doing but in camera. I'm going to keep it and see if I can negotiate a discount with them tomorrow. I think that's only fair.

Otherwise the camera is in mint condition. Not a mark on it and only 633 photos taken. It's basically like a brand new M9. I'm super happy with it and can't wait to get it out in the light tomorrow to take some shots with it, instead of the low, light efforts I've been doing around the house this evening.

The Voigtlander Nokton is sharp as a tack on it, even wide open. It seems to perform even better than on the A7. The Jupiters seem OK too but they don't bring up the 50mm frame lines because the adapter I have must be the wrong sort. I'm going to get a proper one in the next few days.

That's really annoying about the pixels. I've got a column of dead pixels so I sent my m9 off to Germany. Do you have to tell Lightroom to do it or is it automatic?

www.robertpoolephotography.com

So I spoke to Red Dot and they negotiated a £200 discount with the person they were selling it for. I'm very happy with that. Great service from them.

Finally got to take it out in the light today during my lunch break. Loving how it handles and the Nokton is proving to be a winner. Here's a couple of snaps I took.

32935499582_694b6fab59_h.jpg

32273206423_97fdb579d5_h.jpg

• Like 4