The versatility of the Noctilux 0.95 on the SL <Image Thread>

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My view is that Leica is committed to the L mount long term. Yes, the Noctilux can be used on more cameras, but it works best on the SL. For the moment, the Summilux ONLY works on the SL. It comes back to AF or MF.

Both are large. The Noctilux is a tad faster and probably better bragging rights, and is purely mechanical. The SL and Summilus are weather sealed.

In terms of image quality, from what I’ve seen, the Summilux is sharper across the frame at all apertures, but the Noctilux has more character. That probably means more aberrations wide open and not as sharp across the frame. If you can be bothered looking for it, LFI magazine did a comparison between the f/1 and f0.95 versions of the Noctilux which you might find informative.

Not sure there is much to add. I love my Noctilux on the SL, but then I like trying to emulate the purely mechanical experience - setting the aperture and focusing on the lens barrel, setting the aperture on the camera. The EVF, however, gives exposure simulation and magnification for focus, if you need it.

Conversely, with the Summilux, everything is on the camera. It’s a neat package, but quite a different way of operating. If I was starting from new, I would probably look at the Summilux as it’s designed for the SL and Leica has concentrated on making it the best f/1.4 lens there is. Conversely, the Noctilux is arguably focused on achieving f/0.95. Not that that is bad, Erwin Puts opines that from f/1.4 the Noctilux is as good as the Summilux-M f/1.4, but then that lens is probably not as good as the SL version.

Cheers

John

That is great information.  Thanks. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I love this combination and for me the Noctilux f0.95 truly shines on the SL 

• Like 12

L1000042-bewerkt.jpg

I love this combination and for me the Noctilux f0.95 truly shines on the SL

I’ve shot the SL50LUX + SL for portraits and the results are beautiful. However it is still my choice to have the Noc0.95 + SL combo over the SL50lux for portraits. I wish for the AF M to L adapter to be developed instead.

I’ve shot the SL50LUX + SL for portraits and the results are beautiful. However it is still my choice to have the Noc0.95 + SL combo over the SL50lux for portraits. I wish for the AF M to L adapter to be developed instead.

Wasn't techart going to release one? 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use my SL with the Tri-Elmar 28/35/50 and also my Summilux 50 M ... I used to have a Noctilux E58 but had to sell it to fund life issues, I replaced it with the Summilux and find it is every bit as gorgeous as the Nocti was and a hell of a lot lighter.. I am eager to try it on the CL too.

• Like 1

The cutest Leica Store by Lars Netopil Wetzlar

Leica SL with Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH

• Like 2

Christmas market in Wetzlar 

Leica SL w/ Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH

• Like 4

Where did Erwin Puts write this?

Cheers,

Simon

The comment about f/1.4 is from memory - I'd need to check the full edition of the Compendium, but here are some of his other comments.

Leica Chronicle, Edition 9, 2012, at page 160:

The choice for an aperture of 1:0.95 is quite daring, not only because the 11% increase in pupil diameter does pose challenges for aberration control .  Contrast at maximum aperture is high with excellent definition of fine detail.  Gone is the focus shift, the presence of coma has been visibly reduced and stopped down the lens equals and even surpasses (slightly!) the performance of the Summilux-M 1:1.4/50mm ASPH ...

Also, if you look at Erwin's online compendium - http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/lenses/Leica-lens/ - he says (most of the way down the page):

The main improvement can be seen from the graphs when the lens has been stopped down. Below are examples at f/4 as being representative of the general behavior. Note the much improved contrast for the 20 lp/mm and 40 lp/mm. Note too the remarkable bulge of the 20 lp/mm ad especially the 40lp/mm for the older Noct. This is the visual representation of the focus shift that affects the older design. The new design is outstandingly good at f/4 and this is absolutely an achievement. 

The claim that the new Noct is as good as the Summilux 50 ASPH at the smaller apertures is substantiated by the diagrams showing the MTF at f/5.6. The differences in the curves are not substantial and not visible in practical photography.

Edited by IkarusJohn

Wonderful to see how much manual precise work is done by the staff at The Leitz Park in Wetzlar. 

Leica SL with Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH

• Like 6

Why not the 1.4/50 Summilux (SL)? Tremendous rendering.

I rented a 50mm Summilux-SL to shoot against my 50mm APO Summicron-M this weekend.  I'm looking forward to the results.  Though, I must say, the night shots with the Noctilux are captivating.

Choctawhatchee Bay (SL + Noctilux 0.95)

• Like 6

Can the Noctilux be shot wide open in full sun without a ND filter on the SL because of the high shutter speed?

Well that would depend entirely on how much light there was. The SL has a maximum shutter speed of 1/8000s (you can use an electronic shutter up to 1/16,000s) and a base ISO of 50. In the very brightest of situations, I think you will have to default to the electronic shutter if you wanted to shoot wide open. I'm basing this on examples I have shot shot in bright sunlight at f/1.4.

Well that would depend entirely on how much light there was. The SL has a maximum shutter speed of 1/8000s (you can use an electronic shutter up to 1/16,000s) and a base ISO of 50. In the very brightest of situations, I think you will have to default to the electronic shutter if you wanted to shoot wide open. I'm basing this on examples I have shot shot in bright sunlight at f/1.4.

I'm not sure if the electronic shutter would cause issues in natural light.  I have read that it can be an issue in some types of artificial lighting. 

I'm still trying to dial in the APO for low light, hand-held use without running high ISOs.  I've only had the SL for a few days and don't yet know how much dynamic range I have to play with to pull detail out of shadows and bring up exposure without the final image looking unnatural. 

At the Leitz Park shot with Leica SL and Noctilux-M 50mm f0.95

Camera in this photo Leica MM CCD ik Chrome with black Chrome Rigid Summicron 50mm f2

• Like 2