The versatility of the Noctilux 0.95 on the SL <Image Thread>

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Inspired by Jackie K.
Testing the SL and Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH
©Milan Swolfs Photography

• Like 13

Fun on the swing

• Like 6

Autumn with the Noctilux
SL and Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH

• Like 10

What do you guys think about the noctilux vs the SL 50mm 1.4?  I am looking at getting one of those.  The noctilux would be great for low light/night situations, but the 1.4 is a "reference lens"(they say its the best lens they have ever made) and would be better in anything except those low light situations or using the super shallow DOF.  Which one would you get and why??? Thanks.

The 50 Lux SL is gorgeous, but it is limited to the L-platform. The 50 Noct M (as any of the M lenses) can be used on almost all platforms. This may or may not be of importanse, but it is certainly a reason for keeping my 50 Noct.

The 50 Lux SL is gorgeous, but it is limited to the L-platform. The 50 Noct M (as any of the M lenses) can be used on almost all platforms. This may or may not be of importanse, but it is certainly a reason for keeping my 50 Noct.

Very true, but I just have the SL and a Q for now so I dont really care about using it on an M, at least for now.

• Like 1

My view is that Leica is committed to the L mount long term. Yes, the Noctilux can be used on more cameras, but it works best on the SL. For the moment, the Summilux ONLY works on the SL. It comes back to AF or MF.

Both are large. The Noctilux is a tad faster and probably better bragging rights, and is purely mechanical. The SL and Summilus are weather sealed.

In terms of image quality, from what I’ve seen, the Summilux is sharper across the frame at all apertures, but the Noctilux has more character. That probably means more aberrations wide open and not as sharp across the frame. If you can be bothered looking for it, LFI magazine did a comparison between the f/1 and f0.95 versions of the Noctilux which you might find informative.

Not sure there is much to add. I love my Noctilux on the SL, but then I like trying to emulate the purely mechanical experience - setting the aperture and focusing on the lens barrel, setting the aperture on the camera. The EVF, however, gives exposure simulation and magnification for focus, if you need it.

Conversely, with the Summilux, everything is on the camera. It’s a neat package, but quite a different way of operating. If I was starting from new, I would probably look at the Summilux as it’s designed for the SL and Leica has concentrated on making it the best f/1.4 lens there is. Conversely, the Noctilux is arguably focused on achieving f/0.95. Not that that is bad, Erwin Puts opines that from f/1.4 the Noctilux is as good as the Summilux-M f/1.4, but then that lens is probably not as good as the SL version.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

I own the SL and M Summiluxes and have shot with the Noctilux. I prefer the Summilux-SL. The comparison for me would be the 50 APO that produces a similar look to the SL while being much smaller and lighter.

...and much more expensive (as is the case for the Noct as well). So starting today, I would likely have the SL lux.

Noctilux @ 0.95

• Like 1

In many sense the comparison between the SL 50 lux & Noc is subjective as both great lenses have different strength. I have been hoping for an AF M to L mount be developed and made available for the Noc to gain AF capability to be used on the SL. Also the resale value for the Noc maintains way better than SL50lux. A very new SL50lux can be picked up less than the cost of a new M50lux. Let’s not forget the M75 Noctilux will be made available soon that is only a shade longer than the Noc0.95. It is one hell of a 75mm lens with the same Noc0.95 characterization.

In many sense the comparison between the SL 50 lux & Noc is subjective as both great lenses have different strength. I have been hoping for an AF M to L mount be developed and made available for the Noc to gain AF capability to be used on the SL. Also the resale value for the Noc maintains way better than SL50lux. A very new SL50lux can be picked up less than the cost of a new M50lux. Let’s not forget the M75 Noctilux will be made available soon that is only a shade longer than the Noc0.95. It is one hell of a 75mm lens with the same Noc0.95 characterization.

A new M50lux costs less than the SL50lux to begin with (around 27% less at BH) so comparing the used price of the SL lens to the new price of the M lens doesn't say much about resale value. I typically see Leica used lenses at around 80% the price of a new one when compared at the same dealers. Resale value is not a strong factor in my lens choices anyway.

I agree that each lens has strengths though I think the SL lens is the better choice on the SL.