I just bought an Olympus XA for the hell of it....

A miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I have posted T3 stuff throughout this thread but nothing recently...

...and I do have other cameras and a busy day job - to the point I've barely even had time to use my new M10 over the past month  :(

Yeah, buying that M10 was a real genius move...

• Like 3

Thanks for that Adam. I love you too...

Contax T3, Portra 400

North Head, Sydney

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Yeah but if you love it sooo much why dont you ever use it and share with us over there...?(roll eyes)

As far as i am concerned, you really don't love it.

When I bought my T3 in 2004 it almost completely displaced use of my Nikon F3/T system until I bought an M9 in 2010.  I stupidly sold the T3 but replaced it some years later. That camera came everywhere with us: family functions, day outings, travel, and as the kids grew up, almost always loaded with BW400CN.  There's not much I don't know about it and little I'd criticise. I still think it is the ultimate compact digital camera - shame it's now so expensive to buy.  So I think i'm well qualified to comment and love it even if it gets less use than before.

I do now again have a number of film cameras with which to share the love: T3, M7, CL, R7, and the Plaubel Makina 67 (a pile of films awaiting processing & scanning)

• Like 3

Oh yes, Mark, you know I love you, too, whether or not you use your film camera as much as you should and no matter how long you stay on the subscription list for the purchase of new updated digital bodies.  I have a feeling that you love your T3 more  deeply and with more affinity than your new M10.  That's very admirable and it's because you're a stand up guy who knows quality....and art.... :)

Thanks for that Adam. I love you too...

Contax T3, Portra 400
North Head, Sydney

attachicon.gifuntitled-14.jpg

When I bought my T3 in 2004 it almost completely displaced use of my Nikon F3/T system until I bought an M9 in 2010.  I stupidly sold the T3 but replaced it some years later. That camera came everywhere with us: family functions, day outings, travel, and as the kids grew up, almost always loaded with BW400CN.  There's not much I don't know about it and little I'd criticise. I still think it is the ultimate compact digital camera - shame it's now so expensive to buy.  So I think i'm well qualified to comment and love it even if it gets less use than before.

I do now again have a number of film cameras with which to share the love: T3, M7, CL, R7, and the Plaubel Makina 67 (a pile of films awaiting processing & scanning)

• Like 1

XA for 200 USD? Even with warranty it is ripoff, IMO.

It is very interesting camera for work in color. I'm finding color rendering of XA Zuiko lens to be special. On BW it is opposite. Nothing special. Trip 35 has better lens for it IMO.

XA was great for me to start to get close to people. It lasted long enough for 75$ camera. Three years before it crapped out. And I'm not really missing it after switching to film M. 

XA:

8393148082_7032f2feb4_c.jpg

14131025572_24c603d63f_o.jpg

• Like 3

XA for 200 USD? Even with warranty it is ripoff, IMO.

It is very interesting camera for work in color. I'm finding color rendering of XA Zuiko lens to be special. On BW it is opposite. Nothing special. Trip 35 has better lens for it IMO.

XA was great for me to start to get close to people. It lasted long enough for 75$ camera. Three years before it crapped out. And I'm not really missing it after switching to film M. 

XA:

8393148082_7032f2feb4_c.jpg

14131025572_24c603d63f_o.jpg

Yes, your B&W samples are indeed unremarkable.

In this context, value is a largely subjective.  $200 for a mint in box condition XA with a contrasty focus patch (which I ultimately got after a second attempt) is an ok deal to me.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, your B&W samples are indeed unremarkable.

In this context, value is a largely subjective.  $200 for a mint in box condition XA with a contrasty focus patch (which I ultimately got after a second attempt) is an ok deal to me.

First one was viewers top choice on rangefinder.ru, but not for bw quality image.  :D.

Mine 75$ was fully working, visible RF images, but I rarely used it as RF. First, VF meter went off fairly quick. It worked another two years after it and quit on me with dead main meter... 

But this main meter was always very accurate, before it broke. Thousand or so exposures and always spot on. My M-E meter isn't as accurate as it was in XA...

First one was viewers top choice on rangefinder.ru, but not for bw quality image.  :D.

Mine 75$ was fully working, visible RF images, but I rarely used it as RF. First, VF meter went off fairly quick. It worked another two years after it and quit on me with dead main meter... 

But this main meter was always very accurate, before it broke. Thousand or so exposures and always spot on. My M-E meter isn't as accurate as it was in XA... 

Congrats on the recognition for the first photo.  

I am still puzzles as to how you think a $200 NIB XA is a bad deal but an M-E at -pick a going rate price on eBay - is a good value....

I might be wrong on XA in the box and with warranty.

My M-E was purchased new in 2016, made in 2015. It was official dealer, but odd location were local rich people shop for latest and greatest only. It was last new M-E for entire ten+ million city if not in all country. And due to currency exchange situation it was 3K$. 

• Like 1

Yashica T5. Has a lens like a razor!

Owned it from new (since sometime in the 90's), only use it for street photography as I did again today Birmingham.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Yashica T5. Has a lens like a razor!

Owned it from new (since sometime in the 90's), only use it for street photography as I did again today Birmingham.

Hey Steve - Thanks for the tip.  I've seen that one around.  So you are saying that if me and Mark were hanging out and I had a "smart buy" Yasheeka T5 and Mark had his Contax T3 people would know that I am more savvy than Mark b/c I paid a fraction for the same quality?  I need to be able to know that I will look good when I go out shooting with Mark and his top build quality gear, whatever he decides to bring on that particular day (which most likely will be his T3 b/c I believe might be one of Mark's most prized photographic possessions).   That's why I bought a Minolta TC-1; because I know that I will be the one signing autographs for people who see me and Mark and the street as we stroll by strutting our stuff and flaunting our cameras.    Isn't that what camera walks are all about, anyway?  I need the luster of a then modern day wanderlust magnum opus mechanical wonder.  After all, Mark will be bringing his and as you know on camera walks you MUST show up and look good.   

:)

• Like 1

Adam, I don't know where to start  :blink:.

Hey Steve - Thanks for the tip.  I've seen that one around.  So you are saying that if me and Mark were hanging out and I had a "smart buy" Yasheeka T5 and Mark had his Contax T3 people would know that I am more savvy than Mark b/c I paid a fraction for the same quality?  

Hopefully both cameras are  so compact they're barely noticed.

If they were noticed, people would just think you're a cheap shit.

The T5 is cheaper ($450USD) and newer.  I can't believe that good condition T3s are now over $1500USD on eBay!

The T5 is only automatic, whilst the T3 has manual override features.

The T5 is supposedly better weatherproofed, not that I've had a problem with the T3.

The T3 has a 2.8/35 vs the T5 3.5/35 T* lens.

The T3 also has a very nifty and useful waist-level finder window on it's top deck . But whilst you're looking down through it the punters will be looking at your thinning hair. I'll be looking looking ahead, so the punters will see my face rather than my thinning hair, making eye contact and will be asking me for autographs (see below)   :D.

Most importantly the ​the T3 is a Contax whilst the T5 a Yashica (disgusting), and the Contax is clad in stealth black/grey metal and very very very cool  B)
After all, who gives a shit about the output? It's the gear that counts. -_-

I need to be able to know that I will look good when I go out shooting with Mark and his top build quality gear, whatever he decides to bring on that particular day (which most likely will be his T3 b/c I believe might be one of Mark's most prized photographic possessions).  

No you won't be looking good in comparison with me. Also see waist level finder and balding comment above :-)

Yes it is.

That's why I bought a Minolta TC-1;

the black stealth TC-1 looks very nice, but with an outrageous price premium. You should get one as you'll look and feel even better on the streets of NYC with one of those.

...because I know that I will be the one signing autographs for people who see me and Mark and the street as we stroll by strutting our stuff and flaunting our cameras.    Isn't that what camera walks are all about, anyway?  I need the luster of a then modern day wanderlust magnum opus mechanical wonder.  After all, Mark will be bringing his and as you know on camera walks you MUST show up and look good.

So you bring the SW Blad and I'll bring the Plaubel Makina... 

...then well look good, feel good, get lots of compliments for our cool retro cameras (well the PB looks more like a Tonka Toy than a camera), and maybe get a few very nice pics...

:)

ps my autocorrect keeps wanting to replace Yashica with Yeshiva. I think someone's trying to tell me something!

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 2

Adam, I don't know where to start  :blink:.

Mark - You are totally right.  I should really wear a hat.  And you've convinced me against taking any advice from Steve Walton.  I think I am ready now for your visit to NYC :)

• Like 1

Mark - You are totally right.  I should really wear a hat.  And you've convinced me against taking any advice from Steve Walton.  I think I am ready now for your visit to NYC :)

:D

A big enough hat might be the one thing that stops you from completely disappearing up your own arse, Adam! ;)

• Like 1

Ha, ha, Steve.  A hat that size doesn't exist. :)

:D

A big enough hat might be the one thing that stops you from completely disappearing up your own arse, Adam! ;)

I know, right, Mark?  I wonder if I pay $1650 for one of his workshops I will be able to get him to speak nicely to me, or at least agree that Ektar is superior to Velvia 50 in most non-evenly-lit-wide-EV situations..... :unsure:  

Ouch!

Edited by A miller
  • Like 1