I just bought an Olympus XA for the hell of it....

A miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

They look fine Adam, I can't fault them.

You're happy?

Gary

Thanks, Gary.  Yes, I am happy.  I may buy another one and see if the focus patch is any better....  :o

Here are a few more samples, in case anyone is interested...

Also Tri-X rated at 800 and developed at 1250.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

It's not the camera, it's the user.

C.

ha, ha, yeah right.  But you are right that there really is nothing magical about the quality of the lens.  It is not as crisp as any of my Leica lenses.  As I mentioned in the film thread, I don't think this is all that meaningful on print.  The test prints I made were plenty clear and crisp.  I think where the difference is most noticeable is with scans.  But for most purposes I think it is still plenty sufficient.

I am going to take Tri's recommendation and try (pun intended) out an XA-4.  At these prices, I have little to lose! :)

Here are some more samples from the Tri-X 800/1250 from Hong Kong and NYC.  I'll post a few color in the next couple of days.

• Like 1

Here are a few examples of color from Hong Kong...

Portra 400 pushed 1 stop...

• Like 7

I bought the cheaper version with the three focusing zones (petrol pumps being one, IIRC) when I was a student and I was given one of the proper rangefinder versions by a pal a couple of years ago.

I used to carry the former with me everywhere - the design was a work of genius and the quality of the lens was outstanding given the cost. Perhaps I will load it with some film and take it with me on a short break that we have planned.

The electronic shutter release button used to be a bit hit and miss, though.

I had one (the rangefinder XA that is), and I'm afraid I was a bit underwhelmed with it (maybe I was just unlucky with my sample). I too had problems with the little red shutter button - it was supposed to trigger on a very light pressure, but mine wouldn't fire reliably. I'm pretty sure that the problem was an essentially mechanical one at the button switch itself. Also, I have to say that I found the rangefinder window rather low in contrast, even when the camera was new (now of course I'm used to better things in this regard!). Also bolting on the flash was supposed to push the aperture to (I think) f/4, but it wasn't quite accurate. Probably related to this, I was also very disappointed in how crude the aperture mechanism was - just four blades. But it was a quite beautifully compact little machine.

• Like 2

Adam, try a Contax compact and be overwhelmed by the lens!

Oh, I don't know, Mark.  For a premium, I think the Minolta TC-1 may suit me just fine.  I will be rolling out some examples of my first roll from that soon.

One other camera that I have been honing in on is the Nikon 28Ti.  Every given thought to that?

I forgot about the TC-1. I'll look forward to seeing the pics.

I'd wanted a Nikon 35 or 28 Ti years ago when they came out but they are big, heavy, and slow. The top deck controls are nice though!   I felt the Contax T3 ran rings around the Ti35.  Shame Contax never made a 28mm T as I'd like a compact 28mm film camera.

There's always the Ricoh GRv1 28mm.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Goodness, you're totally rocking out that XA.  Gorgeous images. 

I have a XA2 with bonus random light leak which makes life interesting.  In hindsight, it is the camera I wish I could shove through a time portal to myself as a teenager and young adult, along with several bricks of Tri-X and Fuji 400.  The size and quietness make it perfect for carrying in a pocket and shooting unobtrusively, and would have been perfect for documenting my life at school and uni.  If only...

I have a Contax T3 and love it like a Kardashian loves her Birkin.  The lens is sublimely sharp and has lovely out of focus quality.  I've given strong consideration to the Minolta TC-1 and Nikon 28Ti as well.

• Like 1

Recently become addicted to these lovely compacts: bought a Ricoh GR1 and simply love the look from the lens, and the amazing ergonomics. Don't love the fact that the numbers fade in and out according to the whim of some stupid internal cable that is gradually losing conductivity. But it's a truly beautiful, photographer's camera.

Then bought a Minox 35 at a charity store for next to nothing - which is also quite nice, but less sharp, and not 28mm. 

A couple weeks ago I won a local online auction with a lowball bid on a great XA4. Haven't had time to scan the images yet, but they look sharp under a loupe. The zone-focussing is pretty easy, as the spacing feels so natural, and I even stand and practice clicking through the intervals without looking at the front of the camera, just to get faster with it. I love the form-factor of the camera, and it really is pocketable even in a pair of jeans.

I'd love a T3 - but the price of them is insane these days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right on, totally agree :)

I keep one in the glove compartment of my car, in the event I didn't bring my "real" camera with me. Totally amazing how well they perform.

Sincere thanks.  I have also mulled over the T3 but went for the XA, XA-4 and TC-1 and then the GAS finally subsided.  Nice little gems, each one....  But they perform much better in the in context of lab or wet prints, which is where the character of the high contrast comes through

Goodness, you're totally rocking out that XA.  Gorgeous images. 

I have a XA2 with bonus random light leak which makes life interesting.  In hindsight, it is the camera I wish I could shove through a time portal to myself as a teenager and young adult, along with several bricks of Tri-X and Fuji 400.  The size and quietness make it perfect for carrying in a pocket and shooting unobtrusively, and would have been perfect for documenting my life at school and uni.  If only...

I have a Contax T3 and love it like a Kardashian loves her Birkin.  The lens is sublimely sharp and has lovely out of focus quality.  I've given strong consideration to the Minolta TC-1 and Nikon 28Ti as well.

Totally agree.  Been there and done that with the GR1.  The meter in mine didn't really work that well and I had to jimmy it to get good photos.  But it has top IQ of all these little cameras.

Recently become addicted to these lovely compacts: bought a Ricoh GR1 and simply love the look from the lens, and the amazing ergonomics. Don't love the fact that the numbers fade in and out according to the whim of some stupid internal cable that is gradually losing conductivity. But it's a truly beautiful, photographer's camera.

Then bought a Minox 35 at a charity store for next to nothing - which is also quite nice, but less sharp, and not 28mm. 

A couple weeks ago I won a local online auction with a lowball bid on a great XA4. Haven't had time to scan the images yet, but they look sharp under a loupe. The zone-focussing is pretty easy, as the spacing feels so natural, and I even stand and practice clicking through the intervals without looking at the front of the camera, just to get faster with it. I love the form-factor of the camera, and it really is pocketable even in a pair of jeans.

I'd love a T3 - but the price of them is insane these days.

Totally agree.

Yeah but if you love it sooo much why dont you ever use it and share with us over there...?(roll eyes)

As far as i am concerned, you really don't love it.

Edited by A miller
  • Like 2

Yeah but if you love it sooo much why dont you ever use it and share with us over there...?(roll eyes)

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I have posted T3 stuff throughout this thread but nothing recently...

...and I do have other cameras and a busy day job - to the point I've barely even had time to use my new M10 over the past month  :(

• Like 1

Contax T3, Portra 400

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1