Incorrectly rotated M10 photos following Lightroom CC import

Advertisement (gone after registration)

HI everyone, I am seeking the advice and input from this expert group. I have been shooting the M10 without issue until 2 nights ago. I came home, imported by photos into adobe Lightroom, but the images are all improperly oriented. The landscape images are generally updside down, while portrait oriented shots are oriented as landscapes. I tried resetting the camera. I also tried taking the battery out, tried a new SD card, and finally tried another computer, a separate Lightroom, and ultimately iPhoto, with the problem being consistently reproducible. I had now issues downloading nearly 2000 images until this cropped up, and now it's a consistent problem.

Has anybody else had this issue? Am I being ignorant to some setting in the camera or lightroom? I figured that since I am reproducing this accross computers and via different software, it's a camera issue. 

Your thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated in advance.

HI everyone, I am seeking the advice and input from this expert group. I have been shooting the M10 without issue until 2 nights ago. I came home, imported by photos into adobe Lightroom, but the images are all improperly oriented. The landscape images are generally updside down, while portrait oriented shots are oriented as landscapes. I tried resetting the camera. I also tried taking the battery out, tried a new SD card, and finally tried another computer, a separate Lightroom, and ultimately iPhoto, with the problem being consistently reproducible. I had now issues downloading nearly 2000 images until this cropped up, and now it's a consistent problem.

Has anybody else had this issue? Am I being ignorant to some setting in the camera or lightroom? I figured that since I am reproducing this accross computers and via different software, it's a camera issue. 

Your thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated in advance.

Hi Ashwin

I've been using the M10 and imported photos into Lightroom on two different Macs. No problem at all.

- Vikas

ok, this is very strange. I have not had this problem once, before or after the FW update to 1.3.4.0. I was about to post this, but started a new import first...and half of my images imported upside down. Why did this just randomly change? Ive been importing all weekend and it didn't happen till after I read Ashwin's post.

Ashwin, I think you jinxed me :)

EDIT:

Ok even stranger...they are all now correct. 

It seems like they were wrong during the import, but once the import completed, they all corrected themselves.

What is even stranger is that the images that displayed upside down were all horizontal...and they weren't shot upside down, so why would the orientation be off to begin with?

Bottom line, I don't have this issue...it seems to be an anomaly during the import.

Ashwin...are you interrupting the import when you see this issue, or are you letting it complete?

Yeah, I tried 2 copies of Lightroom (on different computers) thinking that I had messed up a setting. iphoto reproduces the issue in the same manner. I have spoken with at least 2 others who had either similar temporary or comparable "permanent" issues, as I have had, where the issue came about in the middle of a image download then either resolved itself or "stuck". My issues have "stuck" over 2 days and appeared midway through a 400 image download on Friday. Another friend who has the exact same issue as me noted it upon updating the firmware, and had not noted an issue before.

I think it's an unstable firmware bug in 1.3.4, but then again, I am hoping it's just firmware....

• Like 1

HI Sandy,

Here's a link to a flipped image in dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uu0wr4sae6r6dlf/AAC6FCzfDf9w9eBxszOkNcHia?dl=0'

Yup. DNG orientation shows as 3. I'd say sticky orientation sensor on the camera is the most likely issue, or maybe a bug in the firmware. But LR is doing exactly what the metadata is telling it to do.